Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#127836 - 11/03/03 04:57 PM Letter of Recommendation
Jasmine Offline
100 Club
Jasmine
Massachusetts
Does anyone have a standard format for writing a letter of recommendation on a former employee?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#127837 - 11/03/03 07:10 PM Re: Letter of Recommendation
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Heather, this really isn't a standard format, but you can use this:

"TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

This letter will introduce (John D. Doe) as a candidate for employment with your organization. John was employed with ABC Bank from __________ to ___________. His ending position was ____________. During his employment with us, John was an excellent employee. He was always always punctual, worked well with others, and completed his job duties in an exemplary manner. I would not hesitate to recommend John for an any position for which he fells qualified to perform.

Sincerely,"

(I do not recommend putting salary information in the letter. This can be verfied by the hiring company later)

Return to Top
#127838 - 11/04/03 01:45 PM Re: Letter of Recommendation
Jasmine Offline
100 Club
Jasmine
Massachusetts
Thanks so much Bob!!

Return to Top
#127839 - 11/04/03 08:43 PM Re: Letter of Recommendation
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
I believe that it is customary to only confirm dates of employment and the scantest "satisfactory performance and attendance".

Saying anything more will leave you exposed if the employee is less than exemplary in future, and may also cause you problems if one employee gets a good referral and then another doesn't (even if for a good reason) as that may be prejudicial.

I am sure that you just want to help and do the right thing, but unfortunately in these litigious days you may live to regret it.

Return to Top
#127840 - 11/04/03 09:41 PM Re: Letter of Recommendation
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Wild Turkey you are right. What I have done in the past is to write only a "personal" recommendation. That avoids some of the issues that can come up. I also do this with telephone references for past employees.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry