Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#128261 - 11/04/03 05:52 PM On-line Sweepstakes
Gary W Offline
New Poster
Gary W
Land of Oz
Knowing that we must comply with "no purchase necessary" by providing ways to enter an on-line sweepstakes that doesn't require a person to be on-line, are we restricting eligibility if we promote the sweepstakes on our web site only on the page where our on-line banking customers can see their account information? The rules for the sweepstakes which are only on the page listed above state, among many other things, how customers can manually send in a 3x5 card to enter.

However, I haven't found anything about requiring notification to the public about the existence of a sweepstakes. It just doesn't seem right to only notify those who have already "purchased" our product of the sweepstakes and tell them "no purchase necessary" and the general public has no way of knowing this sweepstakes exists. Is my concern valid or should I not be concerned?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#128262 - 11/05/03 12:51 PM Re: On-line Sweepstakes
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It is absolutely valid, especially if only those who pay (and have logon capabilities) know to play.

You could post a notice in your bank lobby which is open to everyone and that may get you by. But you may need to check state laws in case there are requirements to mail entry forms upon written request accompanied by a SASE.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#128263 - 11/05/03 02:21 PM Re: On-line Sweepstakes
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
In my county in Texas, no one actually enforces this. I called the enforcement folks one time, but they could not answer my question. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble. I agree with Andy--you should check your state laws, but probably you do not have to make it as easy as it is for customers. Having them write for an entry form and include a SASE is one way to allow them to play, but not make it so easy. I'd probably recommend something on the website that gives them the address where they can write to request an entry form. However, if you do, you may want to limit it to adult residents of your service area if you can. No use giving something away to someone with a computer in Taiwan.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z