Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1298697 - 12/04/09 02:07 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. waldensouth
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I agree with the prior posters. Even when you have one, the question doesn't stop. I have two and got grief from a particular grandparent when I said we weren't having anymore. I heard that "But we'd like a few more grandkids." My response - you've got 5 other kids to hound. Go see if your (then) 13 year old daughter is ready to have one for you.

Why do people think that you need to keep up with them on the number of kids you have or don't have?

VolOps - my thought. Just walk away without answering the question. That should give them a hint that it's not a converstaion to be had.

Return to Top
#1298712 - 12/04/09 02:17 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. NotPerfect
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
me too...I was told I would never be able to have children, so I am so thankful to have the one God blessed me with. I try my best to not take offense when somebody says...you have "just" one??? well my "one" is like having "five" rolled into "just one" whistle laugh but seriously I am thankful for the blessing.

Ops...like everybody has said before, esp the one poster that mentioned...alot of people don't mean to be mean (of course I know some could really care less), I think they just feel so blessed and they "incorrectly THINK" you might miss out on a wonderful blessing...but so many times we are so ignorant in our thinking and it just takes time for us to grow up and realize...we aren't always right! wink

from talking with you I know you have a great heart and wonderful head on your shoulders...you will be able to do the right thing in each circumstance!!! PLUS you've also got some great advice and ammunition above wink

Return to Top
#1298726 - 12/04/09 02:31 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. KTMiteComply
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Thanks, KT!

Return to Top
#1298729 - 12/04/09 02:33 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Ops
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
For April Fool's this year, I told a co-worker who hounded me constantly I was pregnant. She started jumping up and down, making a fool out of herself. Then I said, "April Fool's!"

She hasn't brought it up since!

Return to Top
#1298746 - 12/04/09 02:45 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Ops
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Originally Posted By: VolOps
For April Fool's this year, I told a co-worker who hounded me constantly I was pregnant. She started jumping up and down, making a fool out of herself. Then I said, "April Fool's!"

She hasn't brought it up since!

LMAO!!!

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1298763 - 12/04/09 03:03 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Aggs
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
RITFL!!!! laugh Oh my!!!! THAT is a good one girlie!!!! laugh

Return to Top
#1298831 - 12/04/09 03:38 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. KTMiteComply
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
High Ten, VolOps! laugh

Return to Top
#1299079 - 12/04/09 06:10 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Retired DQ
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Somebody will always have a stupid question like this on some aspect of your life that you'd rather not discuss.

Most of you know I have two kids - a girl and a boy. When my husband got snipped his father and my mother were horrified. They both asked: 'What will you do if something happens to one of them?' My response was 'Change their room into a sewing room. What makes you think either one of them is replaceable?!'

So you see, it'll always be something. Either grin and bear it or zing 'um. Just don't let it eat away at you. Life's too short to sweat the stupid stuff.

Return to Top
#1299522 - 12/04/09 10:47 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Truffle Royale
Al Bankher Offline
100 Club
Sweet Home Alabama
You can always respond with another question...it fits any scenario....

Why do you want to know?

Return to Top
#1299549 - 12/04/09 11:18 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Al Bankher
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
If it makes you guys feel any better I have the 5 and I want two more (because I think at least 2 of the current ones are broken) you should hear people yelling at me for trying to populate the world with beautiful children.

Now THAT was hijacking a thread. smile

Return to Top
#1299556 - 12/04/09 11:24 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. ~MunQue~
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
Ops I personally think it would be appropriate for you to start asking everyone else intimate questions about their sex lives:

When are you gonna have kids?
You: When was your last orgasm?
You: How often does your husband go limp during the deed?
You: I heard that the male performance pills weren't working for you, that's too bad....

Yup. Perfectly appropriate. grin

Two wrongs don't make it right, but it makes it funny.

Return to Top
#1299561 - 12/04/09 11:28 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. ~MunQue~
Peepers Offline
10K Club
^^^^ now that was funny! laugh

Return to Top
#1299625 - 12/05/09 03:22 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Peepers
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Yep, I about spewed tea on my monitor!

Return to Top
#1299811 - 12/07/09 03:14 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. RR Jen
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
LOL, Munque! Love it!

Return to Top
#1300438 - 12/07/09 09:33 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. ~MunQue~
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Originally Posted By: ~MunQue~
If it makes you guys feel any better I have the 5 and I want two more (because I think at least 2 of the current ones are broken) you should hear people yelling at me for trying to populate the world with beautiful children.

I needed that laugh today!!! Sometimes I think my youngest is "broken" but I'm too old to even think about any more. I'll just see if I can keep the grandkids from ending up "broken" .

Return to Top
#1300446 - 12/07/09 09:43 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. corkygirl
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: corkygirl

I needed that laugh today!!! Sometimes I think my youngest is "broken" but I'm too old to even think about any more. I'll just see if I can keep the grandkids from ending up "broken" .

OHH!!! You should call AG's Mom... she might be interested in a son-for-son a swap, especailly if she would get grandkids out of the deal! laugh

Return to Top
#1300473 - 12/07/09 10:04 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. #Just Jay
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
But I'd keep the grandkids grin

Return to Top
#1301176 - 12/08/09 08:15 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. WonderWoman
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Originally Posted By: (not as) newbsa
I HATE when I'm out sick for one day and everyone at work has decided I'm pregnant.

I finally flipped out at my mom about two years ago over this one and haven't heard a word since. I can live with other people saying stupid stuff like that, but she’s smarter than that. If I was pregnant, I'd be crying hysterically at my desk for 9 months (at least) not out sick for one day people! smirk

There are some really good suggestions here, but since I only seem to get to post about once every six months anymore I thought I'd add my own.

A few years ago, I came in and told my boss that we just found out that our family was growing. I looked really sad and she started to sympathize with me (knowing my position on kids) . . . until I told her we were adopting another dog! I think she wanted to smack me but couldn’t quit laughing long enough to do it.

I got my mother in law a throw pillow with something like “ask me about my grand-dogs” on it. She hasn’t asked about kids since!

When someone asks when we are going to have kids, I reply that we already do. If they press further, I might mention a boy and a girl and if they press further still, I tell them that our “fur-babies” take up all the spare room in our house – with a townhouse and two Great Danes, it’s pretty tough for them to argue the point.

Finally, I’m proactive about my stance. When coworkers, friends, etc. are talking about some situation with their kid or someone else’s kid, I’ll say “Reason 14,598 I don’t have kids!” The number has grown over time and the questions have gone to almost zero.

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#1301260 - 12/08/09 09:09 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Darkhorse
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Originally Posted By: Darkhorse

Finally, Im proactive about my stance. When coworkers, friends, etc. are talking about some situation with their kid or someone elses kid, Ill say Reason 14,598 I dont have kids! The number has grown over time and the questions have gone to almost zero.

I use this, too! I always say, "yet another reason we don't want kids."

Return to Top
#1301297 - 12/08/09 09:34 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Ops
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sorry guys, but those comments got to me. While I totally understand that not everyone wants kids <my niece and her husband included>, raising a child is the most amazing thing I ever did. It's not always fun and easy, but way worth it. Although I will admit when I see someone with two children that are fighting I thought to myself 'that's why I only wanted one'.

Return to Top
#1301450 - 12/09/09 04:03 AM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Skittles
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I agree - raising kids is amazing - now that I have them, I am very thankful for the experience. If I had to do it over again, I'm not sure that I would knowing what I know now. It is really a Catch 22 and I fully respect those that choose to not have them. I for one, would never ask such a question as it is way too personal of a decision. I just thank god I had them when I was young. I have friends my age with toddlers - I think I would commit suicide. I just enjoy my five grandkids now. I know this probably didn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is a decision that is a lot more complex in today's world and too many people have kids without contemplating all the issues. For those that do, a decision not to have them is not illogical. Now if I can just get my daughters to STOP smile.

Return to Top
#1301652 - 12/09/09 03:51 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Skittles
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
To each his own. smile

Return to Top
#1301932 - 12/09/09 06:25 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Skittles
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
Sorry guys, but those comments got to me. While I totally understand that not everyone wants kids <my niece and her husband included>, raising a child is the most amazing thing I ever did. It's not always fun and easy, but way worth it.

(not to be smart...) I went skydiving, and I think it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done... but some people probably thought I was crazy and would never attempt such a thing...

Actually my wife and I are at the stage of "not not-trying", if you know what I mean (most PC way I could think of saying it without getting too graphic). We are constantly bombarded by questions of when we'll have kids... HELLO, it's not a light switch!!!

My wife too gets annoyed that if she was sick or just didn't feel well that everyone automatically assumes she's pregnant. It almost had her convinced once, and I had to tell her that everyone thinks that because we are newlyweds.

People ask me if we're 'trying', and I turn around with "what, you mean right at this moment???".

Return to Top
#1301994 - 12/09/09 07:21 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. Skunk Boy
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Good come back, SB. People just have no sense. It's nobody's business.
Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 12/09/09 07:22 PM.

Return to Top
#1302057 - 12/09/09 08:17 PM Re: Advice from those who don't want children, please. ~MunQue~
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Ops I personally think it would be appropriate for you to start asking everyone else intimate questions about their sex lives:

When are you gonna have kids?
You: When was your last orgasm?
You: How often does your husband go limp during the deed?
You: I heard that the male performance pills weren't working for you, that's too bad....

Yup. Perfectly appropriate. grin

Two wrongs don't make it right, but it makes it funny.

shocked I know it doesn't help V, but these are just too darn funny. And it is really, really hard to not add more very helpful phrases like those above.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett