Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1305711 - 12/15/09 03:04 AM To Get a Dog or not...
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I went to see a little beagle mix today at our local SPCA. Since moving into my new place, I have been considering getting a dog to keep me company when the kids are not here. My dog comes over, but just when the kids are here.

The little beagle is beautiful. She was the only dog in the room that did not bark. Not one sound. Her tail was wagging the whole time, she was pawing at the cage trying to get out to see me. She licked my face and went for a walk with me. She is a great dog. She seemed very excited and hyper, but I think that was more because she is cooped up in that cage all day and doesn't have anyone come to see her. Our dog was the same way when we went to see her at the SPCA.

I am currently mulling things over, weighing the pros and cons. I would like a dog, and need the companionship. On the other hand, there have been so many changes in my life recently that I don't know if I should take on the responsibility. I have always had a dog and for the first time in my life find myself "dogless". I guess I will just pray for guidance....

Return to Top
#1305717 - 12/15/09 05:11 AM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
If you aren't ready now, there will be another good rescue later on when you KNOW you are ready.

Return to Top
#1305718 - 12/15/09 05:12 AM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Treat yourself... go back and get her.

It's going to be a long cool winter. It might be nice to have a pup to come home to and warm up with.

Plus, it is always nice know that you have one more on your side wink

Return to Top
#1305742 - 12/15/09 12:27 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... #Just Jay
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
You already bonded with her! Regardless of the changes, you admitted that you have always had a dog. I doubt with your character that you would neglect her...I think it might be some good medicine for you during these tough times!

Return to Top
#1305760 - 12/15/09 01:01 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thomas - I knew you would want her if you went to see her. Honestly, I can't imagine my life without a dog - or dogs. All you have to think about is who would take care of her if you couldn't get home. If you can think of someone <check with your parents or sister>, then I say go for it. Dogs are wonderful companions and don't ask for anything in return except some attention and dinner.

Return to Top
#1305781 - 12/15/09 01:42 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Skittles
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Beagles are kind of high energy, but I'm sure being cooped up made it worse. I say go get her. Or maybe they'd let you take her for a weekend 'test drive?' I'm by myself at the house a LOT (hubby travels for work) and would be absolutely lost without the dogs.

Return to Top
#1305844 - 12/15/09 02:10 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Becca
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My parents are just a few hundred yards away and I am betting that my Dad would be there everyday taking her for walks or taking her back to their house. They have always watched my dogs when we would go away.

I guess I have to consider the reality that I am NOT going to get my current dog. There was always that small glimmer of hope that I would - but there is no way that she will be coming to live with me full time. I know that I can't replace her specifically, but I do need to fill that spot in my life.

The dog I looked at is a sweetheart, she just absolutely loved everyone and every animal at the shelter. Her tail was constantly wagging and she was very affectionate. I am still thinking it through....

Return to Top
#1305848 - 12/15/09 02:12 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
Thomasj - since your previous pet will be visiting when your kids do, you need to make sure your potential new pet and the former pet get along. If they don't that will be an added layer of stress that none of you need.

Return to Top
#1305952 - 12/15/09 02:52 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Sandy Beech
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
I think you should get her. There's nothing that compares to the unconditional love of your dog. My dad was never an "animal person" and finally agreed to let the family get a dog. We got a beagle and he was the best dog ever - my dad was smitten. Everyday he came home from work and was greeted by the happiest dog ever - and before doing anything else, my dad would drop to the floor, in his suit and coat, throwing the briefcase to the side, and give our beagle belly rubs, ear scratches, all while doing baby talk to him. It was too funny!

Anyway, the moral of the story is, you will NOT regret getting her, but I think you might regret it if you don't. She'll give you all the love and attention she has. And I think you could really use that. smile

Good luck with your decision.

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1305969 - 12/15/09 02:58 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Aggs
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
This dog got along with all of the cats and other dogs at the shelter. My current dog is 6 and gets along with other dogs really well too. I have a feeling that my current dog will not be visiting too often, but I think the two of them will get along.

I always enjoyed having my dogs come greet me at the door - they were always glad to see me and didn't care what kind of day I had.

Return to Top
#1305980 - 12/15/09 03:03 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Exactly - there is nothing like your dog greeting you at the door. Nobody will ever be as happy to see you. And when you have a bad day, there is no better snuggle-buddy you can find.

Even with my daughter it's hit and miss. One day she's excited to see me and runs to the door, another day she hides under the table and says "I don't want mommy!" LOL

Sigh, I want a dog...

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1306055 - 12/15/09 03:38 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Aggs
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Tj, her picture on FB just melted my heart. How could you look at that face and NOT fall in love? If I was closer, you would be fighting me for her!

Return to Top
#1306113 - 12/15/09 04:00 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Tom....I say go and get that little beagle. I don't think you could ever regret that decision. Beagles are the best dogs......and I miss mine so much (my ex kept her too).

I wish I could have a dog now (I've always had them), but I'm just not home enough to give him/her the attention it deserves.

Besides, I am expecting a new bundle of joy in about 4 1/2 months, so I will have my hands full very soon. wink

Return to Top
#1306128 - 12/15/09 04:13 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
It sounds as though you both need each other right now......I vote YES!!!!

Since your mom & dad are so close by and seem to love dogs too & will watch her if you want to go out of town, sounds like between you, them and your kids, that dog would get a lot of love.

Return to Top
#1306143 - 12/15/09 04:23 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: BowlingQueen
Besides, I am expecting a new bundle of joy in about 4 1/2 months, so I will have my hands full very soon. wink

Congratulations BQ! Nice how you tried to sneak that past us.... laugh

Return to Top
#1306154 - 12/15/09 04:29 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
LOL........I'm just terrible at keeping secrets though. wink

Return to Top
#1306377 - 12/15/09 05:59 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Thomas, go pick up that dog!!!

BQ, congrats!!

Return to Top
#1306387 - 12/15/09 06:04 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... corkygirl
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Sorry to hijack the thread, but congrats BQ!!!

Return to Top
#1306405 - 12/15/09 06:20 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
LOL......thanks! I'm VERY excited......lots of life changes coming my way.

Sorry also.....didn't intend to hijack the thread.

Return to Top
#1306436 - 12/15/09 06:39 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Thomas - I think if you have to ask the question, then you know now is not a good time to get a dog. Admittedly, you have a bunch going on in your life. Let it slow down and develop some normalcy, then go get your pup.

Return to Top
#1306462 - 12/15/09 06:50 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HappyGilmore
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Originally Posted By: Happy-Go-Lucky
Thomas - I think if you have to ask the question, then you know now is not a good time to get a dog. Admittedly, you have a bunch going on in your life. Let it slow down and develop some normalcy, then go get your pup.

Have to agree with HGL, here. I love my dog and wouldn't trade the love she shares for anything....having said that...If you doubt you'd be able to give the pup 100%, don't make a selfish decision...a spur of the moment decision...that will end up being unfair to both of you. You are wise to be considering it thoughtfully.

Return to Top
#1306485 - 12/15/09 07:04 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... East Texas
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: East Texas
Originally Posted By: Happy-Go-Lucky

Have to agree with HGL, here. I love my dog and wouldn't trade the love she shares for anything....having said that...If you doubt you'd be able to give the pup 100%, don't make a selfish decision...a spur of the moment decision...that will end up being unfair to both of you. You are wise to be considering it thoughtfully.

For someone who has no clue what goes into raising a dog to question whether or not to undertake the responsibility would seem reasonable to me, but Tom knows well the attention and dedication it takes. He also has his parents very close-by that, from what I understand, would be more than happy to assist with her.

I think the fact that he is "mulling it over" just goes to attest that he won't make a hasty decision and that he will have the pup's best interests at heart in whatever he decides is best.

I think the pup may also be very good "medicine" for the children when they come to visit as well. Maybe an "ice-breaker" of sorts with his daughter, whom is experiencing great turmoil over her allegience between her parents.

Return to Top
#1306603 - 12/15/09 08:09 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I think this dog has stepped into your life at just the right time. She will be a great companion to you and your kids, and unconditional love is always a great thing to have in your life. I think you should go get her and start some new traditions with your new doggie.

Return to Top
#1306843 - 12/15/09 09:50 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: thomasj
My parents are just a few hundred yards away and I am betting that my Dad would be there everyday taking her for walks or taking her back to their house. They have always watched my dogs when we would go away.

This is important. Being alone in the house all day tends to take its toll on dogs- they need companionship. If your parents are not able to check in on the dog while you are at the office, you may want to hold off until circumstances change.

Return to Top
#1307028 - 12/16/09 02:16 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... JacF
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I filled out the application yesterday, but since I was home with my son who was sick I didn't get to fax it in. The SPCA is closed today, but I am going to call tomorrow and ask some questions and more than likely will be faxing my application.

I understand some people saying if you have to think about it this much, you're not ready - but I am just thinking things through. I owe it to myself and the dog to make sure that I am making the right decision.

I have had dogs my entire life and know what is involved in taking on that responsibility. I really need the companionship that I know a dog can offer and obviously this dog needs someone too. I've talked to my parents and they want me to get her. My Dad loves dogs and will be there to let her out or take her to their house for a few hours each day. My Mom loves to walk my current dog when they keep her (their dog doesn't like to walk) and said she would walk her for me when the weather is nice.

I have one more night to sleep on it, but unless something major changes, I am going to bring her home.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett