Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1305711 - 12/15/09 03:04 AM To Get a Dog or not...
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I went to see a little beagle mix today at our local SPCA. Since moving into my new place, I have been considering getting a dog to keep me company when the kids are not here. My dog comes over, but just when the kids are here.

The little beagle is beautiful. She was the only dog in the room that did not bark. Not one sound. Her tail was wagging the whole time, she was pawing at the cage trying to get out to see me. She licked my face and went for a walk with me. She is a great dog. She seemed very excited and hyper, but I think that was more because she is cooped up in that cage all day and doesn't have anyone come to see her. Our dog was the same way when we went to see her at the SPCA.

I am currently mulling things over, weighing the pros and cons. I would like a dog, and need the companionship. On the other hand, there have been so many changes in my life recently that I don't know if I should take on the responsibility. I have always had a dog and for the first time in my life find myself "dogless". I guess I will just pray for guidance....

Return to Top
#1305717 - 12/15/09 05:11 AM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
If you aren't ready now, there will be another good rescue later on when you KNOW you are ready.

Return to Top
#1305718 - 12/15/09 05:12 AM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Treat yourself... go back and get her.

It's going to be a long cool winter. It might be nice to have a pup to come home to and warm up with.

Plus, it is always nice know that you have one more on your side wink

Return to Top
#1305742 - 12/15/09 12:27 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... #Just Jay
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
You already bonded with her! Regardless of the changes, you admitted that you have always had a dog. I doubt with your character that you would neglect her...I think it might be some good medicine for you during these tough times!

Return to Top
#1305760 - 12/15/09 01:01 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thomas - I knew you would want her if you went to see her. Honestly, I can't imagine my life without a dog - or dogs. All you have to think about is who would take care of her if you couldn't get home. If you can think of someone <check with your parents or sister>, then I say go for it. Dogs are wonderful companions and don't ask for anything in return except some attention and dinner.

Return to Top
#1305781 - 12/15/09 01:42 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Skittles
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Beagles are kind of high energy, but I'm sure being cooped up made it worse. I say go get her. Or maybe they'd let you take her for a weekend 'test drive?' I'm by myself at the house a LOT (hubby travels for work) and would be absolutely lost without the dogs.

Return to Top
#1305844 - 12/15/09 02:10 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Becca
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My parents are just a few hundred yards away and I am betting that my Dad would be there everyday taking her for walks or taking her back to their house. They have always watched my dogs when we would go away.

I guess I have to consider the reality that I am NOT going to get my current dog. There was always that small glimmer of hope that I would - but there is no way that she will be coming to live with me full time. I know that I can't replace her specifically, but I do need to fill that spot in my life.

The dog I looked at is a sweetheart, she just absolutely loved everyone and every animal at the shelter. Her tail was constantly wagging and she was very affectionate. I am still thinking it through....

Return to Top
#1305848 - 12/15/09 02:12 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
Thomasj - since your previous pet will be visiting when your kids do, you need to make sure your potential new pet and the former pet get along. If they don't that will be an added layer of stress that none of you need.

Return to Top
#1305952 - 12/15/09 02:52 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Sandy Beech
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
I think you should get her. There's nothing that compares to the unconditional love of your dog. My dad was never an "animal person" and finally agreed to let the family get a dog. We got a beagle and he was the best dog ever - my dad was smitten. Everyday he came home from work and was greeted by the happiest dog ever - and before doing anything else, my dad would drop to the floor, in his suit and coat, throwing the briefcase to the side, and give our beagle belly rubs, ear scratches, all while doing baby talk to him. It was too funny!

Anyway, the moral of the story is, you will NOT regret getting her, but I think you might regret it if you don't. She'll give you all the love and attention she has. And I think you could really use that. smile

Good luck with your decision.

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1305969 - 12/15/09 02:58 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Aggs
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
This dog got along with all of the cats and other dogs at the shelter. My current dog is 6 and gets along with other dogs really well too. I have a feeling that my current dog will not be visiting too often, but I think the two of them will get along.

I always enjoyed having my dogs come greet me at the door - they were always glad to see me and didn't care what kind of day I had.

Return to Top
#1305980 - 12/15/09 03:03 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Exactly - there is nothing like your dog greeting you at the door. Nobody will ever be as happy to see you. And when you have a bad day, there is no better snuggle-buddy you can find.

Even with my daughter it's hit and miss. One day she's excited to see me and runs to the door, another day she hides under the table and says "I don't want mommy!" LOL

Sigh, I want a dog...

Return to Top
#1306055 - 12/15/09 03:38 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Aggs
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Tj, her picture on FB just melted my heart. How could you look at that face and NOT fall in love? If I was closer, you would be fighting me for her!

Return to Top
#1306113 - 12/15/09 04:00 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Tom....I say go and get that little beagle. I don't think you could ever regret that decision. Beagles are the best dogs......and I miss mine so much (my ex kept her too).

I wish I could have a dog now (I've always had them), but I'm just not home enough to give him/her the attention it deserves.

Besides, I am expecting a new bundle of joy in about 4 1/2 months, so I will have my hands full very soon. wink

Return to Top
#1306128 - 12/15/09 04:13 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
It sounds as though you both need each other right now......I vote YES!!!!

Since your mom & dad are so close by and seem to love dogs too & will watch her if you want to go out of town, sounds like between you, them and your kids, that dog would get a lot of love.

Return to Top
#1306143 - 12/15/09 04:23 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: BowlingQueen
Besides, I am expecting a new bundle of joy in about 4 1/2 months, so I will have my hands full very soon. wink

Congratulations BQ! Nice how you tried to sneak that past us.... laugh

Return to Top
#1306154 - 12/15/09 04:29 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
LOL........I'm just terrible at keeping secrets though. wink

Return to Top
#1306377 - 12/15/09 05:59 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Thomas, go pick up that dog!!!

BQ, congrats!!

Return to Top
#1306387 - 12/15/09 06:04 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... corkygirl
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Sorry to hijack the thread, but congrats BQ!!!

Return to Top
#1306405 - 12/15/09 06:20 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
LOL......thanks! I'm VERY excited......lots of life changes coming my way.

Sorry also.....didn't intend to hijack the thread.

Return to Top
#1306436 - 12/15/09 06:39 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Thomas - I think if you have to ask the question, then you know now is not a good time to get a dog. Admittedly, you have a bunch going on in your life. Let it slow down and develop some normalcy, then go get your pup.

Return to Top
#1306462 - 12/15/09 06:50 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HappyGilmore
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Originally Posted By: Happy-Go-Lucky
Thomas - I think if you have to ask the question, then you know now is not a good time to get a dog. Admittedly, you have a bunch going on in your life. Let it slow down and develop some normalcy, then go get your pup.

Have to agree with HGL, here. I love my dog and wouldn't trade the love she shares for anything....having said that...If you doubt you'd be able to give the pup 100%, don't make a selfish decision...a spur of the moment decision...that will end up being unfair to both of you. You are wise to be considering it thoughtfully.

Return to Top
#1306485 - 12/15/09 07:04 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... East Texas
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: East Texas
Originally Posted By: Happy-Go-Lucky

Have to agree with HGL, here. I love my dog and wouldn't trade the love she shares for anything....having said that...If you doubt you'd be able to give the pup 100%, don't make a selfish decision...a spur of the moment decision...that will end up being unfair to both of you. You are wise to be considering it thoughtfully.

For someone who has no clue what goes into raising a dog to question whether or not to undertake the responsibility would seem reasonable to me, but Tom knows well the attention and dedication it takes. He also has his parents very close-by that, from what I understand, would be more than happy to assist with her.

I think the fact that he is "mulling it over" just goes to attest that he won't make a hasty decision and that he will have the pup's best interests at heart in whatever he decides is best.

I think the pup may also be very good "medicine" for the children when they come to visit as well. Maybe an "ice-breaker" of sorts with his daughter, whom is experiencing great turmoil over her allegience between her parents.

Return to Top
#1306603 - 12/15/09 08:09 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I think this dog has stepped into your life at just the right time. She will be a great companion to you and your kids, and unconditional love is always a great thing to have in your life. I think you should go get her and start some new traditions with your new doggie.

Return to Top
#1306843 - 12/15/09 09:50 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: thomasj
My parents are just a few hundred yards away and I am betting that my Dad would be there everyday taking her for walks or taking her back to their house. They have always watched my dogs when we would go away.

This is important. Being alone in the house all day tends to take its toll on dogs- they need companionship. If your parents are not able to check in on the dog while you are at the office, you may want to hold off until circumstances change.

Return to Top
#1307028 - 12/16/09 02:16 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... JacF
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I filled out the application yesterday, but since I was home with my son who was sick I didn't get to fax it in. The SPCA is closed today, but I am going to call tomorrow and ask some questions and more than likely will be faxing my application.

I understand some people saying if you have to think about it this much, you're not ready - but I am just thinking things through. I owe it to myself and the dog to make sure that I am making the right decision.

I have had dogs my entire life and know what is involved in taking on that responsibility. I really need the companionship that I know a dog can offer and obviously this dog needs someone too. I've talked to my parents and they want me to get her. My Dad loves dogs and will be there to let her out or take her to their house for a few hours each day. My Mom loves to walk my current dog when they keep her (their dog doesn't like to walk) and said she would walk her for me when the weather is nice.

I have one more night to sleep on it, but unless something major changes, I am going to bring her home.

Return to Top
#1307032 - 12/16/09 02:19 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... JacF
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Fence the backyard, put in a doggie door, and go for it. My mother used to go play with my dogs in the afternoon or at least let them out for us while we were at work when we lived in town. Now that we live out in the county and have a fenced backyard with dog door, the girls are MUCH happier and considerably less spastic when I get home in the afternoon, even though they are no longer getting their daily visit and takeout plate from grandma (yes, she would bring them takeout - don't get me started on that one). I think being able to come and go as they please as well as having the neighbors, horses, and various wildlife to watch during the day are more stimulating than just the hour or so my mom would go play with them.

I guess my point is that you have options, and none of them seem to be bad.

ETA: apparently we posted at the same time. Glad to hear you decided to bring home a new friend!
Last edited by RR Becca; 12/16/09 02:20 PM.

Return to Top
#1307049 - 12/16/09 02:28 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I can't imagine my life without my dog. It is a challenge sometimes but it sounds like you have help so go for it!!

Return to Top
#1307059 - 12/16/09 02:40 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Sarah
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Good for you, Tom. I really believe that you won't regret your decision. smile

Return to Top
#1307370 - 12/16/09 05:18 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I too can't imagine life without a dog(s). I talk to mine non-stop. My husband is always saying "What" and I answer "I'm talking to so-and-so".

I don't think you will regret your new friend. Anyone that has always had a dog can't be without one. Can you post a picture that we can see?

(As the owner of 5 dogs currently I might be projecting.)

Congrats BQ on the exciting news! How much fun you will have next Xmas with thata bundle to buy for!?

Return to Top
#1307400 - 12/16/09 05:42 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HRH Okie Banker
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
ThomasJ, glad to hear that you are proabably going to get the Beagle. I've always wanted one, just decided on the boxer so i have a big dog to be the man of the house when i'm not home.

I too had dogs almost all of my life, but was still a little unsure before we got this one that it would be ok (responsibility to be home, all that stuff), but I am SO greatful for my dog, words can't do it justice.

Good luck! It's like a Christmas present to yourself.

Return to Top
#1307485 - 12/16/09 06:20 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Skunk Boy
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
For those who have asked, here is a picture of the dog I am looking at

Return to Top
#1307549 - 12/16/09 06:53 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Oh, bless her heart. What a cutie and her eyes look so gentle.

Return to Top
#1307555 - 12/16/09 06:57 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HRH Okie Banker
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
I can't see it.......blocked. frown

Return to Top
#1307562 - 12/16/09 07:04 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
She is so cute!!! I think you're making the right decision for yourself and for her. Having your parents nearby for the extra help (and extra loving for the doggie) is great. Good luck!

Return to Top
#1307882 - 12/16/09 10:48 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Al Bankher Offline
100 Club
Sweet Home Alabama
Get the Beagle!

Return to Top
#1308554 - 12/17/09 07:58 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Al Bankher
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I submitted my application yesterday and.............................. I was approved! I pick her up Saturday if I can wait that long.

Return to Top
#1308578 - 12/17/09 08:09 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Oh, and I need to come up with a name - a good 2 syllable name - that is easy to call her with. I am leaning towards "Lucy" for a couple of reasons 1.) It is kind of a reference to Snoopy - he kissed Lucy and she freaks out... 2.) I've always wanted to say (in my best Ricky Riccardo voice) "Lucy, I'm home!"

Return to Top
#1308586 - 12/17/09 08:11 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I think Lucy is an excellent name! Best of luck to you, TJ - and should we lay bets on whether or not you can hold out 'til Saturday?

Return to Top
#1308593 - 12/17/09 08:16 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
There's a two syllable name for a dog that was used in the movie 'The Jerk' but you probably wouldn't want that one.

Return to Top
#1308603 - 12/17/09 08:19 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Peepers
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
I think Lucy's A GREAT name for a beagle smile

Return to Top
#1308608 - 12/17/09 08:22 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... MadisonCali
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I'm so glad you are getting the dog and Lucy's a great name for her.

Return to Top
#1308630 - 12/17/09 08:39 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... corkygirl
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I think Lucy is perfect!

Return to Top
#1308829 - 12/17/09 10:27 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Jen
RobinS Offline
100 Club
NorthWest
Doesn't she already have a name?

Return to Top
#1308839 - 12/17/09 10:35 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RobinS
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
My oldest friend used to have a Beagle named Lucy.

Return to Top
#1308925 - 12/18/09 02:20 AM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RobinS
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: RobinS
Doesn't she already have a name?

She was a stray so they don't really know her name. They give them a "names" for convenience sake.

Return to Top
#1308944 - 12/18/09 05:33 AM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I liek Lucy. My mom's boss got a pound dog and named her Lucy. Boeing's "pound name" was Goldie. Ick!

Return to Top
#1308992 - 12/18/09 01:46 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Dip
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
We have a Lucy too...a Lhasa Apso. She is very high-spirited and loves to chew. As a result, we like to use the old 'I Love Lucy' phrase....

"Luuuuccy...you got some 'splainin to do!"

Return to Top
#1309035 - 12/18/09 02:27 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
That's hilarious!

Return to Top
#1309119 - 12/18/09 03:19 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Oh, and I need to come up with a name - a good 2 syllable name - that is easy to call her with. I am leaning towards "Lucy" for a couple of reasons 1.) It is kind of a reference to Snoopy - he kissed Lucy and she freaks out... 2.) I've always wanted to say (in my best Ricky Riccardo voice) "Lucy, I'm home!"

Wonderful news and congrats. AND don't forget "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!"

Return to Top
#1309158 - 12/18/09 03:33 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HRH Okie Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
yippie! I had lost track of this thread and had bit my tongue util TJ decided what to do...I wanted to say GO GET HER NOW!, but decided not too....yeah for both of you...and I LOVE THE NAME!

What a great Christmas you will have with Lucy! and my bet is the kids will just love her, too. How can you not love a "beeglee" face!

I couldn't see the pic, tho eek dang IT security event...grrrr.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1309168 - 12/18/09 03:36 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Joker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
So...have you already gone and bought a leash, collar, dog bowls, bed, and toys? I think taking the kids with you would be fun. You're daughter could find her a very girly leash/collar and matching bed. smile

Return to Top
#1309209 - 12/18/09 03:52 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Jen
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
I'm so glad to hear you decided to get her.

The name is adorable. smile

Return to Top
#1309374 - 12/18/09 05:35 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
she is so cute.

Return to Top
#1309412 - 12/18/09 06:09 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... CRAatBOK
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
No to mention when you come home, you can open the door and yell (with your best latin accent) "Lucy, I'm home!"

Return to Top
#1309522 - 12/18/09 07:32 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Joker
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Congratulations on your new dog!

I have a Lucy too! My Lucy is a beautiful (but totally dingy) red pom. Many a Ricky Ricardo impressions happen at my house!

Return to Top
#1309653 - 12/18/09 09:25 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Sing A Little
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Yeah!! Congrats!! What a nice gift for Christmas!!

Return to Top
#1309714 - 12/18/09 10:16 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Joker
Al Bankher Offline
100 Club
Sweet Home Alabama

Return to Top
#1309771 - 12/18/09 11:05 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Al Bankher
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Lucy is a great name! We have a black & tan coon hound named Lucy. She has a humorous habit (to us anyway!) of aiming her big bugle of a muzzle right at your backside and howling long and loud. We have to warn others of the "Lucy Goosy".

Return to Top
#1309877 - 12/19/09 10:27 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RebekahL CRCM
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Lucy is home. I went earlier today than expected because of a winter storm. She is the most precious dog I have ever seen. She loves everyone. When she looks at me, it's like she understands. I know she doesn't understand what I say, but she listens to me talk and as silly as it may seem, it really makes a difference.

My son came to spend a few hours with me even though it was not his weekend to be here. Of course Lucy loves him and he loves her.

A few hours ago she was a stray in a cage at an animal shelter, right now, she is sleeping beside me on the couch. Some might say that she is very lucky, but I think I am the lucky one.

When checked my e-mail after I got home and found this from an automated news letter that I subscribe to. It's really neat that this showed up today. Kind of makes me wonder who rescued who:

S.G. Thomas submitted a story to us – that he thought our readers would like. We agree and wanted to share it with you.
It is called -

I Rescued A Human Today

Author:Janine Allen CPDT

I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

Return to Top
#1309879 - 12/19/09 10:53 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Congratulations Tj on your newest addition! I believe, truly believe, that you both were meant to find each other. The timing was perfect, and the bonding was almost immediate. Many happy years lie ahead for both of you! THANK YOU for adopting her!

Return to Top
#1309910 - 12/21/09 12:31 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Yay Lucy and thomasj! So excited for you both! smile

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1309930 - 12/21/09 02:00 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country

I Rescued A Human Today

Author:Janine Allen CPDT

I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

I am so happy for you and for Lucy. And that story you shared made me tear up - it's so true! You will have a wonderful Christmas with your new best friend! smile

Return to Top
#1309958 - 12/21/09 02:27 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Aggs
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
How wonderful both stories are. I'm so glad you adopted each other. You'll be talking to her non-stop now. Some dogs listen so attentively too.

Return to Top
#1309996 - 12/21/09 02:58 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HRH Okie Banker
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
That story is wonderful, I will have to pass that along to a few people.

Return to Top
#1309998 - 12/21/09 02:59 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HRH Okie Banker
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Congratulations on your new addition Tom. What a sweet article that was too. smile

Return to Top
#1310039 - 12/21/09 03:21 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... BowlingQueen
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Last night I was downstairs cleaning up and tending to the coal stove while she was upstairs. I got to wondering what she was doing, so I went up expecting her to be sleeping on the couch and she wasn't there. Panic set in thinking of all the trouble she could have gotten herself into but when I looked in my room, there she was sleeping on my bed! I layed down with her and she snuggled up beside me and put her head on my chest. I crated her the first night, but last night she slept cuddled up next to me. I am still crating her during the day for her own safety, but she has been really good.

When I walk her and she sees one of the neighbors, she just assumes that they will want to pet her and she seems really disappointed if they don't! She loves everyone and every thing - including my parents Boston Terrier who does not feel the same way about her. But when it was all said and done, they were chasing each other around the house like crazy.

Return to Top
#1310098 - 12/21/09 03:41 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
awww...she is just so happy to be part of your family! The unconditional love our pets have for us could teach us humans a lesson.... smile

Return to Top
#1310155 - 12/21/09 04:22 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... TINKerBell
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Here are some quick pictures I snapped on Saturday... Sorry about the quality, it was a very busy weekend!

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5

Return to Top
#1310160 - 12/21/09 04:26 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I love the pic of Lucy and your son! smile

Return to Top
#1310171 - 12/21/09 04:35 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Jen
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
She is beyond cute. I especially love pic #2 where she's chewing on her toy. She's so happy! smile

Return to Top
#1310176 - 12/21/09 04:36 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Jen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Dang it...Security event...again!

Congrats to both of you, TJ...I think (as I thought all along) that this was the PERFECT thing for you to do.

I have adopted a many a "dumpster dog" over the years and they are ALWAYS, without exception...the very best dogs...I think they know they've been saved somehow and just do their best to return the favor.

Merry Christmas TJ and Lucy!

Return to Top
#1310189 - 12/21/09 04:46 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Joker
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I think Lucy thought I was crazy this morning when the alarm clock went off at 4. She showed very little interest in working out (though she did want to help with my abdominal work out). She didn't even care about being put in her crate when I left for the gym at 5.

Return to Top
#1310202 - 12/21/09 04:54 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
(Lucy would be correct in thinking you're crazy for getting up at 4 am!!) grin

Return to Top
#1310205 - 12/21/09 04:56 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Jen
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
::votes with Lucy::

I got up at 5 this morning, and even that was too early for the cats... Tiger the never-ending-gut wasn't even getting up that early to eat!

Return to Top
#1310228 - 12/21/09 05:05 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... #Just Jay
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Great pictures, Thomas. Glad to see you're covering the couch. You'll be glad you did that.

BTW - if I remember correctly she was listed as a beagle mix. She certainly looks full beagle to me.

Return to Top
#1310253 - 12/21/09 05:20 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Her bark is full beagle, that's for sure! I am honestly thinking that she may be a beagle/dachshund mix. Her nose is a little pointer than a beagle and she seems a little long in the body but the beagle part is very obvious and dominant. All I know is that her tail is always wagging and she is always looking to kiss someone! Her bark would make her a great watch dog until someone actually got into the house, then their only danger would be if she licked them to death.

It's funny, she could not figure out how to go up or down the steps the first day - she has quickly learned that skill as I can not go up or down the stairs without my little shadow following me!

Return to Top
#1310318 - 12/21/09 05:55 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
absolutely ADORABLE!!!! I also love the pic with your son!!! I just wanna squeeze them both to pieces they are such cuties!!! smile

Return to Top
#1310320 - 12/21/09 05:58 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... KTMiteComply
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
wonderful pictures!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1310387 - 12/21/09 06:46 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... waldensouth
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Now that's a story with a happy ending!! Lucy looks like she's always been in you house. Love the picture with your son (especially the shirt your son has on wink ) So glad for you both, you rescued Lucy and Lucy rescued you - - there's no doubt about that. And I thought the 5:30AM walk with my dog was early - - 4AM eek

Return to Top
#1310447 - 12/21/09 07:19 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Skittles
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
BTW - if I remember correctly she was listed as a beagle mix. She certainly looks full beagle to me.

A lot of shelters list everything as a ____-mix just as a rule.

I'll have to remember to check this from home so I can see the pics!

Return to Top
#1310459 - 12/21/09 07:23 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Becca
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I think you're probably right on the beagle/dachie mix, tj. Legs look too short for a beagle and her face is longer in the nose than Snoopy's. wink How tall is she at the shoulder?

Return to Top
#1310507 - 12/21/09 07:46 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Truffle Royale
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. You both will be VERY happy, I'm sure (it certainly looks like she already is smile!

And thank you for saving a life!

Return to Top
#1311070 - 12/22/09 12:14 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... MadisonCali
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
She's such a cutie!

We adopted from a shelter. I find they are the sweetest dogs and are truly grateful for their home. Our little dach/chi is very loyal and loving. smile

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1311107 - 12/22/09 01:09 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... Tigg
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
TJ -

Congrats on the new lady in your life. Sounds like she fits in perfectly.

Return to Top
#1311394 - 12/22/09 04:54 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... NotPerfect
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Congrats, man! Awesome pics...and lots of evidence she loves you! smile

Return to Top
#1316666 - 01/04/10 02:18 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... East Texas
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to update everyone on Lucy. She is a fantastic little dog! She has made her self right at home in my house and with my family. She has bonded strongly with me and is like my shadow. It is really great to be greeted with a wagging tail and wet kisses when I get home! I have some new pictures that I will be posting soon. I can not believe that this loving little dog was in a shelter in the first place, and that she was there for a month without being adopted!

Return to Top
#1316833 - 01/04/10 04:17 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... thomasj
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
hate to say it, TJ..but TOLD YA SO! wink

(she was still there because she was waiting specially for you!)

Return to Top
#1316864 - 01/04/10 04:46 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Joker
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I keep telling myself it was meant to be. She went into the shelter just a few days before I had to leave my old house. How she stayed for a month while a bunch of other dogs were adopted is beyond me. She is the perfect dog for me.

The only issue she has is some slight separation anxiety which we are working on. My parents came over and got her one day and took her to their house for a few hours and she was fine. I took her over one day and left her there for an hour and they said she just sat at the door and whined the whole time I was gone. I keep her in her crate when I am not home, I think she may get destructive if I left for too long so for her own safety this is best for now. I will start leaving her for short periods and see how she does, but for now the crate is best.

Return to Top
#1316965 - 01/04/10 06:11 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Joker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: RR joker
hate to say it, TJ..but TOLD YA SO! wink

^^^^Ditto.

Return to Top
#1317570 - 01/05/10 02:40 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... HRH Okie Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
TJ...notice the difference above. Your folks came and got her-she was fine. You took her - she whined. She thought you might be outside the door you left out of and wanted you with her. They are so smart you can never underestimate what they are thinking!

Return to Top
#1317782 - 01/05/10 05:10 PM Re: To Get a Dog or not... RR Joker
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Originally Posted By: RR joker
TJ...notice the difference above. Your folks came and got her-she was fine. You took her - she whined. She thought you might be outside the door you left out of and wanted you with her. They are so smart you can never underestimate what they are thinking!

What she said^^^^ Especially since Lucy has bonded so well with you, and was abandoned in some way by her prior owners, she doesn't want you to abandon her, too.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett