Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#130865 - 11/14/03 06:36 PM Bank stock as collateral
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really need some information on lending using the bank's stock. Where are regulatory cites regarding any prohibitons on lending using your bank's stock as collateral for a FDIC bank? Or is it just state laws that conrol this? I cannot find any information on this in the FDIC regulations. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there any difference if it's the holding company stock?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#130866 - 11/17/03 05:58 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
This doesn't really answer your questions, but since no one else has taken a stab at it; I will give you the best I have. As a national bank, we are prohibited from taking our own stock (which is publicly traded) as collateral. You are on the right track in my opinion. It just doesn't make good sense to use the bank's own capital to secure a customer's loan.

Return to Top
#130867 - 11/17/03 07:01 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I can't cite anything for you, but we are a State, Non-member, FDIC regulated bank and we do this all of the time. We have loans funds to purchase our stock, secured by the same stock, as well as funds for other purposes secured by our stock. We have never been criticized by our State or FDIC examiners for this practice. Hope that helps!

Return to Top
#130868 - 11/18/03 12:15 AM Re: Bank stock as collateral
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It's a state law issue. Most state laws prohibit it. Many do allow loans against a holding company stock, but keep in mind that such a transaction would also constitute a 23A transaction.

Return to Top
#130869 - 11/18/03 04:48 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Take a look at 12 U.S.C. 1828(v)

12 U.S.C. 1828(v) Loans by insured institutions on their own stock

(1) General prohibition
No insured depository institution may make any loan or discount on the security of the shares of its own capital stock.

(2) Exclusion
For purposes of this subsection, an insured depository institution shall not be deemed to be making a loan or discount on the security of the shares of its own capital stock if it acquires the stock to prevent loss upon a debt previously contracted for in good faith.

Return to Top
#130870 - 11/18/03 05:17 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
For a national bank, you can take holding company stock subject to 23A restrictions as a transaction with an affiliate. The total of loans secured by bank stock are subject to the 10% limit for transactions with one affiliate. There are other concerns that some banks address through their credit policy. One large bank I once worked at considered this undesirable due to the potential conflict of interest. You mismanage the company, stock price goes down, now you have to demand additional collateral from your customer. Other banks allow it and are not (yet) concerned about the above conflict.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#130871 - 11/04/04 02:28 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where can I find 12 U.S.C. 1828(v)

Return to Top
#130872 - 11/04/04 02:41 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You can do a Google search using that term, or you can go here .

Return to Top
#130873 - 11/04/04 02:41 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#130874 - 11/04/04 04:31 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
What is the definition of "its own capital stock?"

Return to Top
#130875 - 05/11/05 10:39 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
***BUMP***

Would "its own capital stock" mean the bank's stock itself, not stock of the holding company?

Return to Top
#130876 - 05/12/05 01:11 AM Re: Bank stock as collateral
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Yes, that is what it means.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2106655 - 11/09/16 05:31 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral Kathleen O. Blanchard
Newbie06 Offline
Platinum Poster
We have a lender taking bank stock as collateral for a loan. But, is the statement below meaning that the lender can only take the stock if he/she feels there will be a loss on a loan that is currently on our books?

(v) LOANS BY INSURED INSTITUTIONS ON THEIR OWN STOCK.--

(1) GENERAL PROHIBITION.--No insured depository institution may make any loan or discount on the security of the shares of its own capital stock.

(2) EXCLUSION.--For purposes of this subsection, an insured depository institution shall not be deemed to be making a loan or discount on the security of the shares of its own capital stock if it acquires the stock to prevent loss upon a debt previously contracted for in good faith.

Return to Top
#2106656 - 11/09/16 05:35 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes.

Return to Top
#2106657 - 11/09/16 05:47 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral rlcarey
Newbie06 Offline
Platinum Poster
Is there any State ruling that would override this or would that be for margin stock?

Return to Top
#2106738 - 11/09/16 08:47 PM Re: Bank stock as collateral Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
State law cannot trump Federal law. Federal law allows you to loan against Holding Company stock. Some State laws prohibit even that.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z