Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#132917 - 11/20/03 06:43 PM Cal/WARN law (A.B. 2957)
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
This post is in HR rather than the CA section because I was curious if anyone was familiar with this that dealt with layoff's. If a Merger is in process would this Law pertain to Banks or just industrial or commercial facilities. We're looking at 30+ layoff's after the Merger.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#132918 - 11/20/03 07:57 PM Re: Cal/WARN law (A.B. 2957)
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
The CA version of WARN known as "RMLT" does not address how mergers and acquisitions are handled.

However, under RMLT, you are a covered employer under if you have more than 75 employees and are laying off 50 or more employees. Therefore, you may not have to worry about the RMLT, nor the Federal WARN Act.

I would strongly advise getting a legal opinion from a CA employment attorney before proceeding.

Return to Top
#132919 - 11/20/03 08:13 PM Re: Cal/WARN law (A.B. 2957)
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
Thanks Bob, We have over 100 employees, of which 35 or so will not have jobs. The Severance agreement states when you sign that you have conferred with an attorney and understand the contents of the agreement. I had asked the bank if they were providing legal counsel, which not to my surprise they stated it was up to the individual. Unfortunately within this area there are not too many attorneys that deal with labor laws which forces us to travel (outside of a phone call). Oddley enough the two here in town cannot assist due to conflict of interest.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry