Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1340428 - 02/09/10 08:39 PM Opening Accounts Online
dollars & sense Offline
Gold Star
Do any banks offer the feature to open deposit accounts online?

Return to Top
#1346721 - 02/20/10 06:04 PM Re: Opening Accounts Online dollars & sense
ropingbanker Offline
100 Club
Out West
We don't just because that takes away from the mission statement of knowing your customer, and plus how would you gather the required CIP information, and truly know who you are dealing with.

Return to Top
#1401594 - 06/09/10 08:58 PM Re: Opening Accounts Online ropingbanker
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
We were moving into that in a previous bank I worked with. We were going to utilize a non-documentary approach through a vendor interface. The information entered by the client is verified immediately upon submission to multiple consumer database sources. If everything passes, the process continues. If not, it stops and the online client is directed to a branch office for assistance in opening the account in person.

Return to Top
#1401660 - 06/10/10 01:04 AM Re: Opening Accounts Online BrendaC
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
To truly have online account opening, that is the way to handle it....non-documentary verification. This is a very common process in online account opening, credit cards, etc.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1499181 - 01/24/11 04:56 PM Re: Opening Accounts Online Kathleen O. Blanchard
Compliance Buzz Offline
Gold Star
NJ
With online account opening, I am very leary about joint accounts. Similar to Reg B, how do you verify that the joint holder has truly consented to be a joint person on the account?

Return to Top
#1710128 - 06/13/12 09:55 PM Re: Opening Accounts Online dollars & sense
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
We open accounts online, and have done so for about two years. In the last OCC exam, I really had to walk the examiner through it step by step. In the end he was happy.

This info from our website pretty well spells out the process:

Welcome.
Thank you for your interest in [Our] Bank. We are pleased to offer residents of [this state and that nearby one] the opportunity to open accounts with us online.
Please note that all applications are subject to our approval and a review of your credit history may be used in the approval process
If you wish to designate a beneficiary to your account, please enter the name and address of the individual(s) followed by "beneficiary" in the customer comments box while completing your application.
If you would like to add an additional owner to your account, please enter the name and address of the individual(s) followed by "joint owner" in the customer comments box while completing your application. The additional individual(s) must submit their own online application within the next 3 business days in order to be linked to your account as a joint owner at the time of opening.
What you will need

Social Security Number
Current Street Address (not PO Box)
Mailing Address (if different than street address, may be PO Box)
Driver's License Number, State ID, or Passport, Issue Date and Expiration Date
Current e-mail address so that we can deliver electronic disclosures to you as well as communicate with you during the new account application process
Phone Number
Date of Birth
Employer Name
Account Number and Routing Number for your current account if you choose to fund your account electronically
The access to view and print disclosures presented to you via Adobe Acrobat Reader
Important Information
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
In order to comply with this regulation, we will ask you certain questions regarding your identity.
Upon Acceptance
Upon approval of your application, we will mail you a Welcome Kit via US Mail. A signature card will be enclosed that will need to be signed and returned to us at the address provided within 30 days. Debit Cards and/or checks will not be ordered until we receive your completed signature card.
Disclosure Review and Acceptance
By clicking CONTINUE below, you are consenting to electronically receive all the disclosures applicable to this account.

Return to Top
#1710187 - 06/14/12 12:43 PM Re: Opening Accounts Online dollars & sense
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"By clicking CONTINUE below, you are consenting to electronically receive all the disclosures applicable to this account."

I hope your e-sign process is a little more complex than that.

Return to Top