BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1292585 - 11/24/09 07:05 PM Mission Encouragement
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
Six weeks ago I embarked on a personal mission to lose 50 lbs and get to 200lbs by my 45th birthday (4/11). I had made the decision that if I wanted to be around to see my kids grow up and have children of their own I needed to change my lifestyle. As of 11/23, I am down to 233 lbs. and am working out three times a week. I am starting see the rewards of this hard work, but on some days my motivation wanes and could use a little encouragement. I am a stroke survivor (at age 31) and want to return to some semblance of what I was at age 18 (you know 10ft tall and bulletproof). So, I could use a little pick me up every now and then. Thanks for any support. I will keep periodic updates on progress. Thanks again.

Return to Top
#1292599 - 11/24/09 07:13 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Erl of Baltimore
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
I completely understand!! I applaud you for your progress so far! It's not over, so don't give in! You can do this and your family deserves the time with you! Tape a picture of your "Before" picture on your bathroom mirror and then, beside it, tape a picture of your reasons for wanting to get healthier! Go for it!!!

Return to Top
#1292941 - 11/24/09 09:33 PM Re: Mission Encouragement East Texas
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Congratulations on the successful weightloss so far! I really admire your reasons for wanting to lose weight, not only for yourself, but for your family.
I wish my parents would make this decision! My 3 living grandparents are in their 80's and I feel so lucky to have had them in my life (I am 26). My parents are in their mid 50's and I really do worry that because of their unhealthy lifestyles they won't be around to watch my future children grow up and be there for them like my grandparents have been for me.
Your family is lucky you are choosing to do this to be there for them, let that continue to motivate you as you dread workouts or crave junk food! Keep posting updates smile

Return to Top
#1293082 - 11/24/09 11:30 PM Re: Mission Encouragement StarryNight
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Beowulf - congratulations so far! I know exactly what you're going through. I made a decision in August to do something about my weight and total lack of exercise. Some days are hard, but I just look at myself and the clothes I can't wear anymore because they are now too BIG (I never thought that would happen)! I exercise 4-5 times a week and eat the smallest portions of food. It's all about portion control/calorie intake and any kind of physical activity. Now that I've lost 30 lbs, I wish I would have done this sooner. In fact, I'm wearing a suit today that I haven't worn since I was 31, 6 years ago. Don't give up, keep at it the results are worth it. Not just the physical appearance, but the reduction in risk for heart disease, diabetes, etc. Congratulations and keep it up!

Return to Top
#1293135 - 11/25/09 11:50 AM Re: Mission Encouragement ItNeverEnds CRCM
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Congratulations on your success so far, and you CAN do it! Keep up the GREAT work! smile

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1293149 - 11/25/09 12:43 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Tigg
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Congrats!

I was in a car accident in April and having to go to physical therapy got me motivated to exercise more. I saw such great results, but staying motivated is a big factor. I've recently fell off of that bandwagon, but hope to get back on it asap.

Keep up the good work!

Return to Top
#1293155 - 11/25/09 01:03 PM Re: Mission Encouragement NotPerfect
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Woohoo! Congrats! Keep thinking good things so your motivation does not wane. Here's a high five for what you have accomplished. You can do it!

Return to Top
#1293242 - 11/25/09 02:12 PM Re: Mission Encouragement pjs
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
I think you are absolutley AMAZING!!!!! smile

Return to Top
#1293270 - 11/25/09 02:24 PM Re: Mission Encouragement East Texas
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: East Texas
I completely understand!! I applaud you for your progress so far! It's not over, so don't give in! You can do this and your family deserves the time with you! Tape a picture of your "Before" picture on your bathroom mirror and then, beside it, tape a picture of your reasons for wanting to get healthier! Go for it!!!

Good idea and also tape it onthe fridge, inside the snack cabinet. My aunt had this thing she hooked up to her Fridge so that everytime you opened it it mooed at you. laugh Not sure where she got it, but it got the point across.

Looks like you have the right motivation, just keep them in your heart and mind to drive you to your goal.

Return to Top
#1293318 - 11/25/09 02:45 PM Re: Mission Encouragement DD Regs
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Beowulf, congratulations on your success. I can relate as I made the same decision going on 4 years ago. I was carrying 247 lbs on my 5'7" frame and was miserable. In about a year I was down to 135 lbs. and have stayed there since. I exercise every day and now eating healthy is just a way of life. There are many days when I do physically feel 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Stay motivated, I always say that it takes 2-3 weeks to develop a good habit, and only one day to develop a bad one. Good luck to you!

Return to Top
#1293404 - 11/25/09 03:22 PM Re: Mission Encouragement thomasj
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
A great big thanks to everyone for their encouragement, I will put it to good use. Thomasj...thats an amazing feat. If I got to 135 the wind would blow me away...but then I have almost 5 inches on you in height. I will never get to that and thats ok. 200 is a nice comfortable weight for me. I am noticing that as my muscle mass increases the weight loss is slowing down. That's ok too, i expected it. I have the body build of a linebacker...broad shoulders...thick thighs. I want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and please DON'T PASS THE GRAVY. laugh

Return to Top
#1301497 - 12/09/09 02:04 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Erl of Baltimore
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
Well here is the first update. When I started this thread I was already down 17 lbs. Well after Thanksgiving and being away at deer camp I am now down to 231 so I have only lost 2 more lbs., but with everything goofing up my schedule I will take it. Now to just get through Christmas and New Years either breaking even or losing a small amount I will consider that a victory. So here we go into the toughest time of year as far as weight loss.

Return to Top
#1301499 - 12/09/09 02:07 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Erl of Baltimore
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
you can do it!!

Return to Top
#1301516 - 12/09/09 02:25 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Mrs. Rizzo
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Beowulf - keep up the good work, and don't worry if you have a minor slippage here and there. As long as you maintain your workout regime and make healthy eating choices, the weight will continue to drop. Make sure that you vary your workout so that you continue to "confuse" your muscles. If you do the same weight exercises every time you hit the gym, sometimes do lower weight and more reps and other times higher weight with fewer reps. Muscle confusion is what will keep the calorie burn high. And don't forget to drink plenty of water - 1 ounce for every 2 pounds you weigh, daily (so that would be about 115 ounces of water for you daily).

Return to Top
#1301629 - 12/09/09 03:40 PM Re: Mission Encouragement HappyGilmore
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
Originally Posted By: HappyGoLucky
Beowulf - keep up the good work, and don't worry if you have a minor slippage here and there. As long as you maintain your workout regime and make healthy eating choices, the weight will continue to drop. Make sure that you vary your workout so that you continue to "confuse" your muscles. If you do the same weight exercises every time you hit the gym, sometimes do lower weight and more reps and other times higher weight with fewer reps. Muscle confusion is what will keep the calorie burn high. And don't forget to drink plenty of water - 1 ounce for every 2 pounds you weigh, daily (so that would be about 115 ounces of water for you daily).
I have read varying reports concerning the effectiveness of the "muscle confusion" workout regimen. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. I am varying my workouts this way: 1st day of week - muascle toning workout (high reps, low sets, low weights), second day - cardio (25 minutes stationary bike, 25 minutes treadmill, 10 minutes recumbent cross-trainer), 3rd day muscle building (low reps, higher sets, higher weights), 4th day - cardio (25 minutes stationary bike, 15 minutes recumbent cross-trainer, 20 minutes treadmill). Following week is reversed and so forth. I try to add different exercises each week targeting specific areas. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Return to Top
#1301853 - 12/09/09 05:21 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Erl of Baltimore
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Remember this is a marathon...not a sprint! You must take it slowly so that your body adjusts and you can keep it off. Don't be too hard on yourself or you will lose a big part of the battle...the mental perspective. So proud of what you've already done and I know you can keep it up!! Merry Christmas!!!

Return to Top
#1302395 - 12/10/09 01:56 PM Re: Mission Encouragement East Texas
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
You should do cardio daily, not every other day. As far as one day high weight and next time low, I'd ask what look are you going for? Big looking muscles or toned muscles. if going for big, then the low weight high reps is not helping. Same for toned, but the opposite weights. I use the same amount of weights for all my upper body exercises, but I vary the exercises that I'm doing.

And please make sure you are doing weight training on your lower body as well. Nothing looks sillier than someone with muscle mass up top sitting on toothpicks.

Return to Top
#1368844 - 04/02/10 08:06 PM Re: Mission Encouragement HappyGilmore
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
ok, finally an update. Back in October I started working out and eating better with a goal in mind of going from 250lbs. to 200 lbs. Well with one week left till the deadline I currently stand at 210 lbs. so I'll take the forty I got rid of and the new ripped abs and pecks and continue on the other ten. Lost 3.5 inches on the waist, Its great...no clothes fit...cant wait for the beach...WOO HOO

Return to Top
#1368845 - 04/02/10 08:08 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Erl of Baltimore
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
That is wonderful, BSA!!! Congrats to your for your hard work and dedication!

Return to Top
#1368848 - 04/02/10 08:25 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Erl of Baltimore
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Congratulations! Hard work and dedication is greatly admired!!!

Return to Top
#1369138 - 04/05/10 02:16 PM Re: Mission Encouragement madukes
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
cool

::buys BSA a speedo::

laugh

Return to Top
#1369265 - 04/05/10 03:50 PM Re: Mission Encouragement Erl of Baltimore
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Originally Posted By: BSApaysmybills
ok, finally an update. Back in October I started working out and eating better with a goal in mind of going from 250lbs. to 200 lbs. Well with one week left till the deadline I currently stand at 210 lbs. so I'll take the forty I got rid of and the new ripped abs and pecks and continue on the other ten. Lost 3.5 inches on the waist, Its great...no clothes fit...cant wait for the beach...WOO HOO

Congratulations!!!!! Good for you.

Return to Top
#1369398 - 04/05/10 05:51 PM Re: Mission Encouragement corkygirl
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
wow! congrats.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1369458 - 04/05/10 07:12 PM Re: Mission Encouragement RR Joker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Congrats and lots of jealousy coming your way (for the 20 that won't go away from me!).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett