Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#139304 - 12/13/03 02:02 AM Fingerprinting
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are thinking about conducting fingerprint checks on new hires. Because of our small size some are saying we should contract with a vendor offering public record information. However, I'm concerned because I've heard that some of these vendor databases only go back ten years or so. Wouldn't the FBI be a better option and provide info on older convictions?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#139305 - 12/13/03 01:56 PM Re: Fingerprinting
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would prefer a known source such as the ABA program. Due diligence with other vendors is certainly warranted and a decision couldn't be made until then. Look at the database, the cost and time to respond.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#139306 - 12/15/03 02:37 PM Re: Fingerprinting
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Quote:

We are thinking about conducting fingerprint checks on new hires. Because of our small size some are saying we should contract with a vendor offering public record information.

When you make your decision, just keep in mind that public records vendors may have "some" access to "some" criminal records, but they do not have access to FBI fingerprint files. Also, if you use a public records vendor, you would likely have to know where the prospective employee has ever been during their entire life since the age of 18 so criminal records for each of those locations could be checked. In my opinion, the FBI fingerprint check is the safest option.

Return to Top
#139307 - 12/15/03 02:41 PM Re: Fingerprinting
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
By the way, you should also check Enforcement Actions before you hire anybody. The people listed there are not necessarily criminals, but if they have been banned from banking for any reason, you certainly would not want to hire them.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry