Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1443446 - 09/15/10 06:51 PM Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day
tango Offline
100 Club
Every year our credit union closes at 1:00 on Christmas Eve and all employees who would normally work a full day get paid for 8 hours. When I take off Dec 24th I have to use 8 hours of vacation time (I'm exempt). We are allowed to use our vacation time in half-day increments. Nothing in our HR policy specifically addresses this, but the previous head of HR always required employees take the 8 hours of vacation time. Our current head of HR is looking to formalize our policy and isn't sure which way she's leaning. Any opinions out there? Should employees be forced to take a full vacation day or 1/2?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1443476 - 09/15/10 07:12 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day tango
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you take off on the 24th instead of working the half day as everyone else then IMO you should be charged a full day's earned PTO. If you worked that day you would expect to be compensated for the whole day would you not? So why should you only be charged a half day for PTO when you take the whole day off that is being compensated as a full day?

Just my opinion, which you asked for.... wink

Return to Top
#1443524 - 09/15/10 07:59 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Dan Persfull
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I could go either way with this.

You have to work the morning to get the freebie for the afternoon

or

You just take 1/2 a vacation day because the bank is closed the other half a day; you get the freebie like everyone else since the bank is closed in the afternoon.

Of course, option 2 needs to apply to those out for other reasons as well, so it opens up all sorts of scenarios.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1443728 - 09/16/10 12:52 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Kathleen O. Blanchard
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
I think the full 8 hours is correct. For instance, if you are a part-timer and do not work that day normally, you do not get the extra 3 hours they pay others for working that day, you get nothing.

Also, if a customer came in right at 1, and sat at your desk for an hour and a half, you would stay there for an hour and a half and not get overtime.

Return to Top
#1443731 - 09/16/10 12:53 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
On the other hand, you can use the arguement that when a part-timer takes vacation on a Saturday, they only input the hours they would work on a Saturday (ie: 4 hours), not a full 8 because the bank is not open 8 hours.

Return to Top
#1443756 - 09/16/10 01:32 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we grant all employees either the day before/after Christmas or day after Thanksgiving off, their choice which one based on their schedule and supervisors approval. However, if you have that week already slated for vacation (the entire week) then you don't get an extra day. That are the breaks...don't like it, then don't schedule that entire week off and run the risk of not getting the one day you want.

I'm off the mindset that if you want to guarantee the day off (Christmas eve in this instance) then you get charged the entire day. I'm with your previous HR director on this one.

Return to Top
#1443772 - 09/16/10 01:46 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day tango
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
This is the way it is for all banks I have worked for.

Return to Top
#1443780 - 09/16/10 01:52 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Skittles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
we used to give every employee a half day off every month to take care of personal issues...doctors visits, kids school, whatever...and employees were told if it was abused it would be gone. Sure enough, for the 1st few months, everyone used it like they should have...slowly over time people started making appointments during work hours so they wouldn't have to waste their 1/2 day off...after about 3 months of this and numerous warnings to the offenders, the 1/2 days were eliminated...and people couldn't understand why...a wonderful benefit lost because of the actions of a few...

Return to Top
#1443954 - 09/16/10 03:45 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HappyGilmore
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
I'm jealous of you all. We close early on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, but we don't get any paid time for either. We have to take PTO or vacation time if we want to get paid for a full day. And with Cristmas and New Year's falling on Saturdays this year, we get nothing for the holidays!

Return to Top
#1443975 - 09/16/10 04:01 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Kelsey D
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We also will not get a day off for either Christmas or New Years this season.

Return to Top
#1444004 - 09/16/10 04:26 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Skittles
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
We get a floating holiday for Christmas and New Years.

Return to Top
#1444394 - 09/16/10 08:52 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Dazed Auditor
tango Offline
100 Club
I guess I'm looking at it from this point of view. My employer is giving us a half day (4 hours) of pay as a "gift". If I work that day, I get paid 8 hours even though I only need to show up for half the day. However, if I take a vacation day, I "lose" that 4 hour "gift". Instead, to get the afternoon off (which everyone else is getting off paid) I have to use vacation time. Now of course, after reading some of your posts, I guess I should count my blessings!

Return to Top
#1444554 - 09/17/10 01:21 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day tango
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
You can't take a 1/2 day and use the gift for the other half?

Return to Top
#1444588 - 09/17/10 01:57 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day madukes
tango Offline
100 Club
Right. In years past, if you took a vacation day on the 24th, you were required to use 8 hours of vacation time. My argument is, why not give us the 4 hours paid (as other employees get when they work that day) and require us to take 4 hours vacation time for the other half.

Return to Top
#1444644 - 09/17/10 02:41 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day tango
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: tango
Right. In years past, if you took a vacation day on the 24th, you were required to use 8 hours of vacation time. My argument is, why not give us the 4 hours paid (as other employees get when they work that day) and require us to take 4 hours vacation time for the other half.

Why? Because that is the policy that management decided on and implemented. Is it fair? Maybe not, but it's their policy and was probably in place when you took the job. I have worked at institutions that had this type of policy. The way it was explained to me was that the 4 hour "gift" was an incentive to get people to work and keep staffing levels up enough to meet customer needs the day before Christmas. Other institutions I have worked at have a blackout period for vacation days during the holiday/end of year season (ie you have to get upper management permission to even get a vacation day between November 1 and January 31).

Return to Top
#1446059 - 09/21/10 06:45 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Dani York, CRCM
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
We normally close at noon on Dec 24 and do not get paid for the afternoon. We do not close early on Dec 31. This year we get a floating holiday for both Christmas and New Year's day, with a time period to use it.

Return to Top
#1447936 - 09/24/10 02:48 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day fun grandma
Big Sis Offline
Convince management to do what we're doing. Close all day on Christmas Eve this year, because it's on Friday and give employees a three day weekend. We're very excited.

Return to Top
#1448657 - 09/27/10 04:32 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Big Sis
Janick Offline
New Poster
We have it set up the same way, you get 4 hours holiday pay if you work the morning, but you have to use a full 8 hours if you want it off. For Christmas and New Years this year, we have the option of either getting paid holiday pay the day of, or getting an extra floating holiday during the months surrounding them.

Return to Top
#1449150 - 09/28/10 03:22 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Janick
MD Banker Offline
New Poster
If you have a scheduled vacation, and the bank/credit union is closed due to weather, power outage, etc. then you are charged your vacation hours as scheduled. You don't get the free day, although all others do.
Therefore I agree that if you schedule Christmas Eve off, you must take the full 8 hours.

Return to Top
#1449340 - 09/28/10 07:28 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Skittles
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
We close at 1:30 on Christmas Eve. We have to use a full days vacation if we want that day off. We got a floating day for Christmas this year that we could use anytime before May 31. Next year there will be a floater for New Year's. But it won't matter to me because I am retiring Dec. 31. YEA!!!!!!

Return to Top
#1454655 - 10/13/10 05:10 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Ready to Retire
AllSmiles Offline
Gold Star
Mayhem
We close at 12:00 on Christmas Eve, we have to use a full days vacation if we take that day off. If you schedule your vacation in a week that has any holiday and the bank is closed, that holiday is counted as one of our vacation days, so basically you are giving one of your vacation days away.

Return to Top
#1454688 - 10/13/10 05:42 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day AllSmiles
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Boy, I'm glad I don't work for your bank AllSmiles! We're only charged with what we take. If bank is only open half day during week of vacation, we would get charged 4.5 days vacation. If closed full day for holiday and we take vacation, we would get charged 4 days vacation, 1 holiday.

Return to Top
#1454714 - 10/13/10 05:54 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day
AllSmiles Offline
Gold Star
Mayhem
Oh and you cant take the day before or after a holiday unless you take the whole week or have been here 10 years or more.

Return to Top
#1454779 - 10/13/10 06:39 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day AllSmiles
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

I'd be looking for somewhere else to work. We don't pay you if you call in sick the day before or after a holiday unless you have a doctor's excuse, but if you have seniority on the vacation schedule, you can take it if it's available.

Return to Top
#1454782 - 10/13/10 06:42 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day
AllSmiles Offline
Gold Star
Mayhem
Soooon Georgia!

Return to Top
#1457755 - 10/21/10 12:51 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day AllSmiles
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
IMO it is dependent on how the Bank processes the timecards. When an employee works that day, does their timecard read 8.00 hours worked? If so, you should have to take the full 8.00 PTO. However, if your timecard reads 4.00 hours worked, 4.00 Holiday Pay, then you should only have to take 4.00 PTO.

Keep your system consistent.

Return to Top
#1457756 - 10/21/10 12:53 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Big Sis
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Big Sis
Convince management to do what we're doing. Close all day on Christmas Eve this year, because it's on Friday and give employees a three day weekend. We're very excited.

And what about your customers that need to go to the bank for some last minute shopping money?

Although the employees love this idea, it is HORRIBLE for customer service.

Return to Top
#1457900 - 10/21/10 03:33 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
which is why you put notices up 30 days prior and ATMs were invented...

Return to Top
#1458009 - 10/21/10 05:35 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HappyGilmore
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

There are plenty of customers without ATM cards or need services that ATMs cannot perform.

Even though the notice is put up 30 days prior, you may have a customer who does not see it, forgets, or runs into a jam and needs to come in.

I don't see any way around it, closing on the EVE of a holiday is just poor customer service. You should be in business to serve your customers, not do what makes the employees happy.

Return to Top
#1458020 - 10/21/10 05:46 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Most of the banking clients I have known that don't like ATM/debit cards always have a pretty good supply of cash (because they live a cash based life). I am more concerned about the non-clients that may need to cash payroll checks because it is Friday and likely that is when they will be paid. True, they can go to Walmart and enrich them with a check cashing fee, but many would rather use the payroll company bank.

I hate to say it, but I vote for open 1/2 day, closing at noon.

Return to Top
#1458269 - 10/21/10 10:03 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker

There are plenty of customers without ATM cards or need services that ATMs cannot perform.

Even though the notice is put up 30 days prior, you may have a customer who does not see it, forgets, or runs into a jam and needs to come in.

I don't see any way around it, closing on the EVE of a holiday is just poor customer service. You should be in business to serve your customers, not do what makes the employees happy.

then you probably frown on the banks that close for the Rice Festival, Gumbo Festival, Boudin Festval, Sugar Cane Harvest Festival, Cotton Festival, Good Friday, Mardi Gras, Crawfish Festival, Shrimp & Petroleum Festival, Tarpon Rodeo...these are ones I can think of off the top of my head that close in Louisiana...

Of course, using your argument, one could say that there are businesses that could need cash on Sunday, so should banks be open then? I know of at least 2 that have done Sunday hours...

Return to Top
#1458356 - 10/22/10 01:39 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HappyGilmore
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

I'm with you, Happy. Last year we were open half day on Christmas Eve and had 2 customers. They were shocked we were open. We will again work half day on Christmas Eve this year, but do not expect a lot of traffic in the bank.

Return to Top
#1458500 - 10/22/10 03:45 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day
OkieOps Offline
Platinum Poster
OkieOps
OK
We have always worked a half day on Christmas Eve, with very little traffic in the bank. We pay our staff for a full day and they do not have to use vac or sick time.

Return to Top
#1458702 - 10/22/10 07:38 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HappyGilmore
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker

then you probably frown on the banks that close for the Rice Festival, Gumbo Festival, Boudin Festval, Sugar Cane Harvest Festival, Cotton Festival, Good Friday, Mardi Gras, Crawfish Festival, Shrimp & Petroleum Festival, Tarpon Rodeo...these are ones I can think of off the top of my head that close in Louisiana...

Of course, using your argument, one could say that there are businesses that could need cash on Sunday, so should banks be open then? I know of at least 2 that have done Sunday hours...

Do banks close the day BEFORE Mardi Gras, Crawfish Festival, Tarpon Rodeo, etc? I highly doubt it.

Christmas Eve is not a holiday. It is the day before a holiday. More importantly as someone mentioned, it is a Friday, you are going to have people that can't deposit or cash their paycheck.

Of course the employees are happy, they are given the day off when they know they should be working.
Last edited by Bob The Banker; 10/22/10 07:39 PM.
Return to Top
#1458712 - 10/22/10 07:44 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Of course the employees are happy, they are given the day off when they know they should be working.

ouch.

Return to Top
#1458777 - 10/22/10 08:40 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
Do banks close the day BEFORE Mardi Gras, Crawfish Festival, Tarpon Rodeo, etc? I highly doubt it.

Mardi Gras, many close 1/2 day the day before, those on the parade route close early throughout the carnival season. Other ones, yes, they close Friday for a weekend festival...

bank in neighboring town is closed today for the Wooden Boat Festival that runs this weekend...maybe we're just a different breed down here

Return to Top
#1458793 - 10/22/10 08:52 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HappyGilmore
~*HappyGirl*~ Offline
~*HappyGirl*~
In the sauna...
maybe ...Yeah, we're just a different breed down here

Fixed

Return to Top
#1458800 - 10/22/10 09:01 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
Big Sis Offline
No guilt here. With assessments and tight margins it's tough to award bonuses this year, so we thought this would be a nice way for management and members to show their appreciation for the hard work of the staff this year. We've already posted signs and the members are commenting that they think it's great. (One complaint so far.) The only thing that can't be done when we're not open is cash a third party check. With online banking, mobile banking, audio response, debit cards, etc. there's very little that can't be done if we close for one extra day. Employees have to put up with a lot...about 10% of people are not so nice, the cost of health insurance keeps going up, several of our employees have spouses out of work, etc. Sometimes you can do something to thank the people that show up and put their happy faces on every day and help our members. I'm proud of my employees and I'm proud of the reaction of my members. Merry Christmas to all of you a little in advance!

Return to Top
#1458802 - 10/22/10 09:05 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day #Just Jay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Just Jay

ouch.

Of course the employees are happy because as a thread in the cooler proves that happyness is a choice.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1458960 - 10/25/10 03:03 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day #Just Jay
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Just Jay

ouch.

He's just jealous!

Return to Top
#1458979 - 10/25/10 03:26 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, then i'm not going to bring up the wearing of blue jeans between Christmas and New Years, that will likely upset him more

Return to Top
#1458983 - 10/25/10 03:31 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Big Sis
~*HappyGirl*~ Offline
~*HappyGirl*~
In the sauna...
Originally Posted By: Big Sis
No guilt here. With assessments and tight margins it's tough to award bonuses this year, so we thought this would be a nice way for management and members to show their appreciation for the hard work of the staff this year. We've already posted signs and the members are commenting that they think it's great. (One complaint so far.) The only thing that can't be done when we're not open is cash a third party check. With online banking, mobile banking, audio response, debit cards, etc. there's very little that can't be done if we close for one extra day. Employees have to put up with a lot...about 10% of people are not so nice, the cost of health insurance keeps going up, several of our employees have spouses out of work, etc. Sometimes you can do something to thank the people that show up and put their happy faces on every day and help our members. I'm proud of my employees and I'm proud of the reaction of my members. Merry Christmas to all of you a little in advance!

Bravo cool

Return to Top
#1459463 - 10/26/10 02:46 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day OkieOps
MoodyBlue Offline
100 Club
Below the Mason Dixon Line
Originally Posted By: OkieOps
We have always worked a half day on Christmas Eve, with very little traffic in the bank. We pay our staff for a full day and they do not have to use vac or sick time.

Ditto. Except we only get paid for actual time worked on Christmas Eve. To get paid for a full week we have to make up the time by coming in early or staying late during the week.

Return to Top
#1459549 - 10/26/10 04:08 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day AllSmiles
MaryRink Offline
Gold Star
Northern MN
Originally Posted By: AllSmiles
We close at 12:00 on Christmas Eve, we have to use a full days vacation if we take that day off. If you schedule your vacation in a week that has any holiday and the bank is closed, that holiday is counted as one of our vacation days, so basically you are giving one of your vacation days away.

Ditto here.

Return to Top
#1461662 - 10/29/10 08:56 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day ~*HappyGirl*~
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
I agree Happy!

Return to Top
#1461726 - 10/30/10 02:04 AM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day fun grandma
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
We just found out that in addition to working until 3 on Christmas Eve and being credited for a full day, we are being given a Floating Holiday for Christmas Day (needs to be used by March 2011) and a Floating Holiday for New Year's.

We are happy campers!

Return to Top
#1479136 - 12/10/10 06:08 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Deputy Dawn
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Here is an argument for the rational in having to take the full 8 horus, if the bank is open half day and pays for a full day.

Is your bank open extended hours on a Friday? My bank is open two hours later on Fridays, with break subtracted out, it is a 10 hour work day. However, if I take a Friday vacation day, I only have to use 8 vacation hours, not 10. So if you are open extended hours on Friday and they let you take the day off with only 8 hours of vacation and not 10, you better watch out, because you benefit from the same policy you do not like.

Return to Top
#1479219 - 12/10/10 07:36 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Actually they have decided that we will close for Christmas Eve.

Return to Top
#1479436 - 12/11/10 02:25 AM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Skittles
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You need to check your State law, if you are a State bank. If it is not holiday, you might need to notify your State agency. If you are a National Bank, I'm not sure it is allowed to close for the whole day that you are normally open without permission.

Return to Top
#1480211 - 12/14/10 03:33 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day rlcarey
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
We are closing all day on the 24th. I checked our state law and found the following:

(1) The first day of January (New Year's Day), Easter Sunday, the last Monday in May (Memorial Day), the fourth day of July (Independence Day), the first Monday in September (Labor Day), the fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day), and the twenty-fifth day of December (Christmas) of each year are holidays on which banks shall close. If New Year's Day, Independence Day, or Christmas falls on a Saturday or Sunday, either the preceding Friday or the succeeding Monday shall also be observed as a holiday and the offices of banks closed.

Doesn't this sound as if we are supposed to take a Fri. or Mon. off when those days fall on Sat. or Sun.?

Return to Top
#1480286 - 12/14/10 04:42 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HR Banker
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Yes, it does. This is probably why our bank gives us a floating holiday.

Return to Top
#1480302 - 12/14/10 04:53 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HR Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: ltackett
We are closing all day on the 24th. I checked our state law and found the following:

(1) The first day of January (New Year's Day), Easter Sunday, the last Monday in May (Memorial Day), the fourth day of July (Independence Day), the first Monday in September (Labor Day), the fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day), and the twenty-fifth day of December (Christmas) of each year are holidays on which banks shall close. If New Year's Day, Independence Day, or Christmas falls on a Saturday or Sunday, either the preceding Friday or the succeeding Monday shall also be observed as a holiday and the offices of banks closed.Doesn't this sound as if we are supposed to take a Fri. or Mon. off when those days fall on Sat. or Sun.?

sounds to me like you must take the day off. Bob the Banker is not going to be pleased smile
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 12/14/10 04:54 PM.

Return to Top
#1480304 - 12/14/10 04:54 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HR Banker
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England

(1) The first day of January (New Year's Day), Easter Sunday, the last Monday in May (Memorial Day), the fourth day of July (Independence Day), the first Monday in September (Labor Day), the fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day), and the twenty-fifth day of December (Christmas) of each year are holidays on which banks shall close. If New Year's Day, Independence Day, or Christmas falls on a Saturday or Sunday, either the preceding Friday or the succeeding Monday shall also be observed as a holiday and the offices of banks closed.

Doesn't this sound as if we are supposed to take a Fri. or Mon. off when those days fall on Sat. or Sun.?

Using that logic, Bank's would be closed on the Monday after Easter. I don't think anyone does that....

Return to Top
#1480329 - 12/14/10 05:14 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HR Banker
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

I would think that you would have to check with the State to see which day they have officially declared.

Return to Top
#1480336 - 12/14/10 05:28 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HR Banker
MaryRink Offline
Gold Star
Northern MN
In MN, we are allowed to close at noon. We will close at 1pm.

Return to Top
#1480382 - 12/14/10 06:37 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day MaryRink
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
Even though finding that in our state law, many don't do it. We're only closing the 24th because our CEO brought it up. That's not a normal closing for when it falls on Saturday. We do always take the Monday if it falls on Sunday. Any of those three holidays falling on Saturday normally just means the bank is closed that day and nothing extra is taken.

Return to Top
#1480493 - 12/14/10 08:29 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HR Banker
prettysoon Offline
somewhere over the rainbow.......
We work until 2pm. We'll probably wait on 1 customer, if that. I'd rather have the day off!!!

Return to Top
#1480979 - 12/15/10 05:13 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day prettysoon
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
Back office/admin staff are off the 24th and the branches will close 2 hours early.

Return to Top
#1482904 - 12/20/10 06:22 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day chenin
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
How can the back office be off if the branches are open? How will your cash letters, NSF's, stop pays, etc. get processed?

Return to Top
#1482942 - 12/20/10 07:03 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HR Banker
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
We are open, but we close at 3.

Return to Top
#1482957 - 12/20/10 07:19 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Lestie G
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Just like they operate on Saturdays when the office is closed.

Return to Top
#1482969 - 12/20/10 07:32 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day Bob The Banker
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
But Saturday isn't a processing day; Friday 12/24 is. Unless you're running all day Friday 12/24's work on Monday 12/27's date?

Return to Top
#1483254 - 12/21/10 02:33 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day BurntSienna
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Mulberry
But Saturday isn't a processing day; Friday 12/24 is. Unless you're running all day Friday 12/24's work on Monday 12/27's date?

sounds like it isn't a processing day for the banks that closed their back office...

Return to Top
#1483569 - 12/21/10 07:04 PM Re: Christmas Eve--Open for Half Day HappyGilmore
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
OK, guess I should have clarified...most back office staff will be off. The critical jobs will be done and those that come in to work, will have another day off in exchange for the 24th.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry