Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1489067 - 01/04/11 04:57 PM OMG... HMDA!!!
new Offline
So, we have been trying to make sure we have everything we need since this is our first year to be a HMDA reporting bank. I have since discovered that we missed about 5 loans being put on our LAR. Some of these go back to the beginning of 2010. I have yet to figure out a way to go back and insert these in with the others that are in the same time frame (quarterly). Does anyone have ANY suggestions??? I really don't want to delete and start all over.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1489128 - 01/04/11 05:52 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! new
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
What software are you using?

Return to Top
#1489135 - 01/04/11 05:59 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! SMQ, CRCM
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
In most cases, when you put in your action date, the software automatically sorts it where it needs to be.

Do you have the whole year in one file or did you separate by quarters? Most put it all in one file for ease of submission.

Return to Top
#1489178 - 01/04/11 06:26 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! SMQ, CRCM
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Are you using the HMDA Data Entry Software? If so, you can manually enter loans directly onto it. Then, if you want your data entries sorted chronologically, it can do that as well.
Last edited by raitchjay; 01/04/11 06:26 PM.

Return to Top
#1489190 - 01/04/11 06:34 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! raitchjay
new Offline
We are using the software from FFIEC. We have the whole year in one file.

Return to Top
#1489193 - 01/04/11 06:37 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! new
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Ok....open it, then go to "LAR" at the bottom, click on "add", and you can add individual entries to your LAR.

Return to Top
#1489209 - 01/04/11 06:56 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! raitchjay
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Correct. Just click add and a blank entry sheet will open up. Very easy. Check the help file, it is very informative.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1489215 - 01/04/11 07:00 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Kathleen O. Blanchard
new Offline
thank you thank you thank you...

Return to Top
#1489216 - 01/04/11 07:01 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Kathleen O. Blanchard
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
That's how every entry that gets on my LAR is added....i know that my hand entered each field and we have a small enough LAR (usually around 240 entries or so), that it is possible for me to do it that way.

Return to Top
#1489344 - 01/04/11 08:34 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! raitchjay
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
^^^wish I were that lucky...and therefore that sure of all my entries.

Not knowing how big a LAR new has, my I suggest you look at your loan software to see how you can pull a LAR from it? It should automatically pull all the loans that should be reported thereby eliminating the ability to miss any. CAVEAT - of course the loans have to be entered properly on the system for this to work. Which is why, because we use sequential loan numbering, we check all the numbers that are missing from the LAR to make sure they should be.

Welcome to HMDA!

Return to Top
#1489351 - 01/04/11 08:38 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! raitchjay
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
That's how every entry that gets on my LAR is added....i know that my hand entered each field and we have a small enough LAR (usually around 240 entries or so), that it is possible for me to do it that way.

^^^could easily come to work here...you and RRBecca would get along just fine! grin

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1489365 - 01/04/11 08:43 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! RR Joker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Hey, I call dibs on her! I'm the one with the huge LAR. You think it's easy being anal retentively challenged when you're talking 2500 loans? I know hmdagal probably has double or more than that too. raitch, how do you feel about WI? wink

Return to Top
#1489396 - 01/04/11 09:00 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Truffle Royale
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
I suggest you look at your loan software to see how you can pull a LAR from it? It should automatically pull all the loans that should be reported thereby eliminating the ability to miss any. CAVEAT - of course the loans have to be entered properly on the system for this to work.
This is excellent in theory, but if your LAR is small enough (and you are OCD enough, as obviously raitch & I both are) you may need to consider how many steps this takes. Here, pulling a LAR from the LOS would involve:
1. loan staffer filling out an input sheet to include with the loan package
2. loan loader entering data from that input sheet into HMDA reporting blanks when loan is boarded (it's a separate step)
3. you setting up the correct parameters to pull the report, hoping you catch all possibile loans while not including too many extras
4. you then hunting down and eliminating the "extras" one by one
5. hoping that the loan staffer did the input sheet correctly
6. hoping that the loan loader entered the codes correctly
7. you figuring out a way to proof all of that aftewards

Instead of this, I created a HMDA Log in Excel that lives on our intranet. The loan staffers enter their data, I pull it once a month and dump it into Wiz, check it against a list from the LOS based on reportable parameters, then pull doc copies for every single entry and proof every single code myself. Less steps + less hands = less errors. It works for us, anyway. smile

Return to Top
#1489439 - 01/04/11 09:23 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Truffle Royale
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Hey, I call dibs on her! I'm the one with the huge LAR. You think it's easy being anal retentively challenged when you're talking 2500 loans? I know hmdagal probably has double or more than that too. raitch, how do you feel about WI? wink

I'm a guy. But if a bunch of women want dibs on me, i'm cool with that. smile

Return to Top
#1489451 - 01/04/11 09:32 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! RR Becca
new Offline
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
[quote=Truffle Royale]
Instead of this, I created a HMDA Log in Excel that lives on our intranet. The loan staffers enter their data, I pull it once a month and dump it into Wiz, check it against a list from the LOS based on reportable parameters, then pull doc copies for every single entry and proof every single code myself. Less steps + less hands = less errors. It works for us, anyway. smile

I really like this idea. I'm new to HMDA and this financial institution. Not to mention this is the first year they have had to report. Needless to say, I will take ANY help and advice I can get at this point. Would you, by any chance, be willing to share your log???

Return to Top
#1489455 - 01/04/11 09:33 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! new
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
PM me your email address. I'm happy to help.

ETA: the biggest LAR I've had to handle so far with this method was just short of 900 lines. I think if you had too terribly many more than that, it may be a bit too labor intensive to manually proof every single entry........but knowing my OCD I would probably try anyway. smile
Last edited by RR Becca; 01/04/11 09:36 PM. Reason: afterthought

Return to Top
#1489467 - 01/04/11 09:37 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! RR Becca
new Offline
I have to proof every one. I don't that I could sleep at night if I didn't. (I sent you a pm)

Return to Top
#1489479 - 01/04/11 09:43 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! new
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Gad, Becca, if I had to do all that just to pull a LAR!!!
Here I just click on Reports/HMDA LAR and bingo! I've got all the loans that are marked as HMDA reportable.
Then, like I said, I go back and double check any missing numbers to make sure they shouldn't be marked as HMDA reportable.
Then I download the LAR into EXCEL and pivot it nine ways against the middle. smile
Oh, and I've trained my staff to the nth degree and I watch over the newbies to make sure there's no garbage in.
::knocking on wood:: let you know how it goes after the HMDA examiners are here in two weeks :eek:

Return to Top
#1489487 - 01/04/11 09:49 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Truffle Royale
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Truf - that's why I came up with an alternate plan. grin

Mostly I couldn't stand the "what if" thoughts that surround 1) trusting the data to get entered correctly & 2) trusting that all the reportable loans would get "flagged." eek Scary thoughts!

Return to Top
#1489489 - 01/04/11 09:51 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Truffle Royale
new Offline
Truffle Royale - what LOS do you use?

Return to Top
#1489491 - 01/04/11 09:52 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! new
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
hey new - check your email. smile

Return to Top
#1489493 - 01/04/11 09:54 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Truffle Royale
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Don't even ask... we've got 5 different business lines with separate systems for each... It all gets dumped into the same software for HMDA review, though, which helps.

I remember the good old days when it was just a few branches and a couple hundred loans.

Return to Top
#1489496 - 01/04/11 09:55 PM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! RR Becca
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Truff - I know we've had this conversation before, but how do you *know* that your data is correct just using the pivot tables to scrub it? I think I would go nuts without pulling the docs and checking the entries against the physical copies.

Return to Top
#1489591 - 01/05/11 01:35 AM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! RR Becca
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Becca, you'd go nuts pulling the physical copies and checking the entries for 2500 to 4242 loans! That's the range I normally work in. And it's just me...no assistant or department nor is HMDA the only function I have here.

How do I 'know' my data is correct? Pivoting is basically an enhanced sorting. So if there's a blank or an error, it's going to show on the pivot.

Pivot tables also allow you to compare one specific item on the LAR against another. Example: I can pivot my counties against the states. If there's a county code for a county in another state, it's going to show right there on the pivot table. Some of my favs come in the odd combinations that show in race/sex/gender when you pivot them. Provides a much needed laugh sometimes.

Secondly, I really have trained my staff to the nth degree. I have confidence in their ability to enter good clean information. Most importantly, I constantly encourage them to ask, rather than guess and thank them profusely when they do.

Thirdly, I review a healthy percentage of the loans. My auditors do another percentage after me.

Fourthly, pivoting was taught to me by my Fed examiner. It's what they use to proof my LAR. I keep telling my anal retentive self to 'shush! If it's good enough for them, it's got to be good enough for you!'

smile

Return to Top
#1489592 - 01/05/11 01:37 AM Re: OMG... HMDA!!! Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
new, FICS Loan Producer.
I'm told most LOS have the ability to pull a LAR.

fwiw, I personally wouldn't use any system that had anyone copy the HMDA info from the application and then enter it into a LAR or something similar. It's just one more step that allows for an error. At the very least if I was entering all the HMDA info into DES myself, I'd only do it from the application.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM