Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1532532 - 04/06/11 08:46 PM employee out of town seminar training
newyork Offline
Gold Star
If an employee has to travel out of town for a seminar during the weekend, will the travel time constitute "on the clock" time or will mileage reimbursement be the payment?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1532551 - 04/06/11 09:13 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training newyork
Justin Wesson Offline
Travel time that incurred on behalf of the employer should be paid "on the clock" time. Mileage reimbursement is a seperate payment for the business use of the employees vehicle.

Return to Top
#1532571 - 04/06/11 09:47 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training Justin Wesson
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Agree, mileage reimbursement doesn't compensate for time.

Return to Top
#1532658 - 04/07/11 12:57 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training BrendaC
Tater Offline
Platinum Poster
Missouri
Our institution pays travel time as regular time. A friend of mine at another location, though, is paid out of a separate budget for travel time that does not go into the calculation for overtime pay (she is non-exempt). I still can't figure out how that place gets away with that...

Loan Review, HMDA, ALLL

Opinions are my own and do not reflect any others

Return to Top
#1533246 - 04/08/11 02:39 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training Tater
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
For hourly employees, travel time is paid on the clock and mileage reimbursment is seperate if they used their own vehicle.

Return to Top
#1621266 - 10/28/11 01:32 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training fun grandma
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
I am working for a bank and they do not reimburse for mileage because the president says the bank is paying for the seminar and if you leave the bank you are taking that knowledge with you.
I have never worked for a bank that did not reimburse for mileage. Is this legal?

Return to Top
#1621379 - 10/28/11 02:47 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training Patricia
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Maybe not illegal, but short-sighted of management. As has been pointed out before in this forum, does management consider the cost of NOT training and the employee DOESN'T leave?

Return to Top
#1621409 - 10/28/11 03:07 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training 1 Peter 5:7
Patricia Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
1 Peter 5:7 Good point. In my 30 years of banking I have never run across anything like this. My previous bank was taken over by the FDIC last October and I was there for 20 years. Fortunately, I only have two more years to retirement. Hope I can last that long.
At least,I think, I can claim mileage on my tax return as non reimbursable expenses.

Return to Top
#1621734 - 10/28/11 07:19 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training Patricia
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
But only if it exceeds a certain % of your AGI, no?

Return to Top
#1621735 - 10/28/11 07:20 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training Fraudman CFCI
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
don't believe there is a % threshold for business expenses

Return to Top
#1623830 - 11/03/11 02:56 AM Re: employee out of town seminar training HappyGilmore
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I think there is a maximum percent of your AGI that you can claim, but that may only apply to certain types of business expenses and I don't think mileage reimbursement is one of them. There is no threshhold to meet before you claim expenses though.

Return to Top
#1623847 - 11/03/11 09:50 AM Re: employee out of town seminar training Patricia
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
...the president says the bank is paying for the seminar and if you leave the bank you are taking that knowledge with you.

I'd sure like to review his expense reports to see if that rationale (such as it is) applies to him.

Return to Top
#1624602 - 11/04/11 04:26 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training Elwood P. Dowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Does anyone fly to a seminar or conference and if so, do they pay the ticket cost, or housing or food? (On food, I already hear "you were going to eat anyway." But not necessarily at that cost.)

I've heard of banks that amortized seminar costs and required employees to repay the bank if they left within a given period, 6 mos, a year, etc. That makes more sense.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1624700 - 11/04/11 06:39 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training Andy_Z
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
I have flown to conferences. I have a bank issued credit card for my expenses and everything goes on that, flight, hotel, food. However, if I do something that is more of a personal nature, I pay for it. For example, I recently attended a conference where I was able to meet up with a friend; when we went to dinner just to catch up and yack a little; I paid for that. If I pick up a sandwich for lunch, it's on the bank; if I decide to have drinks or a snack, I pay for it.

Return to Top
#1625480 - 11/08/11 01:25 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training SMQ, CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
All expenses related to business travel, even for a training seminar, are picked up by the bank, with the exception of lunch. We stopped paying for employees lunches when certain areas were abusing the system and having very expensive lunches with "clients". Rather than punish the offenders, we punish everyone.

Return to Top
#1625788 - 11/08/11 05:52 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training HappyGilmore
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
That's really harsh Happy...

Whenever I attend a conference the bank pays for the associated expenses to a certain point. It depends on the cost. The bank would foot the cost for breakfast, but if I decide to grab a drink in the evening, it's on me.

Return to Top
#1629574 - 11/17/11 03:15 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training ACBbank
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Our bank pays for flight, seminar, daily food expenses up to $100.00 (with receipts and not including drinks), and mileage to and from airport. I don't think it can get any better than that!

Return to Top
#1629728 - 11/17/11 05:18 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training TINKerBell
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
For us, travel time is considered "on the clock" for non-exempt employees; for exempt employees it counts towards our minimum of 48 hours/week. The Bank reimburses for flight, hotel and we have a per diem with specific meal limits; breakfast $10, lunch $15, dinner $25.

Return to Top
#1630618 - 11/18/11 09:44 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training cbu3
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
So you eat at McDonalds 3 times a day? That's harsh!

Return to Top
#1630621 - 11/18/11 09:47 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training BrendaC
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
CBU3 - exempt employees are required to work a minimum of 48 hours a week?

Return to Top
#1630648 - 11/18/11 10:15 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training HappyGilmore
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
Happy - We aren't required to work 48 hours a week, however it is the very well-established "expectation."
Last edited by cbu3; 11/18/11 10:28 PM. Reason: clarity

Return to Top
#1630649 - 11/18/11 10:17 PM Re: employee out of town seminar training BrendaC
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
I think so too, especially after working at a Bank that perhaps erred a bit too much on the "anything goes" side of out of town expenses. Gotta love those Hyatts, Mariotts, Hiltons... (sadly waves "goodbye" to the luxury hotels and turns her eyes towards Motel 6 and Super 8)

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry