Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1536076 - 04/15/11 03:18 PM Gun in Safety Deposit Box
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
A customer took his safe deposit box into the box room, did not shut the door, and as one of our employees walked by, she saw him holding an antique gun up. He was showing it to his son. When questioned, he said it was antique and did not work. He was informed that guns are not allowed in the bank and he agreed. BUT.. we did not see him leave with anything so we know it is still in the box. Is there any regulations that we can refer to in telling him to remove the gun?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1536395 - 04/15/11 07:54 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box Susielou
James T. Offline
Greeneville, TN
I would refer to your council, I know the contents of a safety deposit box are supposed to be confidential so I'm not sure how that relates to having guns prohibited signs posted in the lobby.

Return to Top
#1536600 - 04/18/11 12:25 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box James T.
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
If the item is a collectible, where else should he put it for safe-keeping?

Return to Top
#1537358 - 04/19/11 03:41 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box Retired DQ
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Your lease agreement is about all you can hang your hat on that I know of. But I'm with Deek. Short of a gun safe at home, this may be the best place for it. What you really don't want is ammo.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1558168 - 05/27/11 07:29 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box Andy_Z
Rosco P. Coltrane Offline
100 Club
Greater Chicago Area
Now what possible risk can be even remotely associated to a gun being stored in a S-A-F-E Deposit box?

Return to Top
#1579658 - 07/19/11 12:19 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box Rosco P. Coltrane
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
I'm going to assume the above comment is sarcasm lol.

The action you take is dependent on the customer relationship. If you wanted to you could close the box if this violates your agreement, and it should violate your agreement.

Return to Top
#1582652 - 07/25/11 07:04 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box Bob The Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
AT my prior bank we had very large locker-size boxes. I have a few guns I wouldn't mind one bit storing there. Some specialty and limited guns are extremely valuable...they'd be much safer there than at home!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1599182 - 09/01/11 04:23 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box RR Joker
FraudFinder Offline
New Poster
You say it is an antique that covers a wide variety of firearms it could be a handcrafted highly ornate muzzle loader from the early days of firearms or it could be a service pistol from the Korean war era that would be either a 38 revolver or a more "modern" semi automatic 1911 colt.

I'd ask the owner to give you a detailed description of the firearm and then base your decision on that.

I disagree with others here that the firearm is safer there. I realize people in this day and age love to rely on others but the fact is the firearm belongs at home in his care, locked up in a safe that is equal to the task with his home insurance.

However, the cost of a safe up to the task may be more expensive than your safety deposit box. I don't see it presenting a threat but I'd definitely want to know what type of firearm it is and what is stored with it. He could have a fully functional modern semi automatic that he has attached the term antique.

Those who allow firearms how do you ensure the customer isn't carrying a pocket full of rounds for it and is now in the bowels of the bank with a loaded firearm?

I am a strong 2nd amendment proponent but I live by common sense. OP find out exactly what kind of firearm it is and ask the owner if you can inspect the contents of the box. He shouldn't have a problem.

Return to Top
#1599566 - 09/02/11 02:25 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box FraudFinder
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I'd ask the owner to give you a detailed description of the firearm and then base your decision on that.

FWIW I would neve ask for a description of any item that the customer places into their SD box. The bank may become liable for the contents if there is a loss.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1600171 - 09/06/11 06:44 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box edAudit
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

FWIW I would neve ask for a description of any item that the customer places into their SD box. The bank may become liable for the contents if there is a loss.

Agree wholeheartedly. At my bank, we wouldn't ask anyone for a description of the contents of their box! Privacy and liability then come into play.

Return to Top
#1619882 - 10/25/11 07:58 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box BurntSienna
Rosco P. Coltrane Offline
100 Club
Greater Chicago Area
It's a gun people. Not a bomb.

All that's necessary in this situation is a verbal to the client to be a lil more careful about closing the privacy door.

Whether it's a non functioning flintlock, or a new Glock, the item itself is not dangerous. The client is. And if he is sooooo scary that you don't want him to keep a gun in a safe box, then by default he should be too scary to be an accountholder.

Return to Top
#1620028 - 10/26/11 01:01 PM Re: Gun in Safety Deposit Box Rosco P. Coltrane
James T. Offline
Greeneville, TN
There would really be no difference in what FraudFinder is describing and someone who has a lock-box, entering the bank with a loaded gun on them,concealed, requesting access to their lock box, same situation, and yet there isn't anything we can do to prevent it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z