Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1622146 - 10/31/11 04:44 PM Visitor's Log
Black66 Offline
PA
Does anyone have a policy of having a sign in sheet at every branch to record all visitors to the office? What is your policy on who must log in and when?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1622207 - 10/31/11 05:33 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
no. That would be a lot of monitoring.
Last edited by osucpa; 10/31/11 05:33 PM.
Return to Top
#1622264 - 10/31/11 06:16 PM Re: Visitor's Log osucpa
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
We require any non-bank employee who is accessing non-public areas to sign the visitor log.

Return to Top
#1622272 - 10/31/11 06:33 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Many many banks (including very large banks) use visitors' logs and visitors' badges. Many regulators at some point will require them.

Aside from any banking security reason, if there is a disaster you will know who was in the building (or a good idea of who might have been in the building).
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1636074 - 12/06/11 08:52 PM Re: Visitor's Log Kathleen O. Blanchard
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
We don't log anyone that comes into the branches, but we do log everyone that comes into our corporate building, including employee children, spouses, etc. They all have to read and acknowledge the confidentiality agreement. smile

Return to Top
#1638288 - 12/13/11 03:04 PM Re: Visitor's Log JacF
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
Originally Posted By: Agent P
We require any non-bank employee who is accessing non-public areas to sign the visitor log.

Ditto- Any vendors who must go behind the teller line sign a vendor log. Most of our vendors are the same people over and over (ATM servicing, cleaning our coin machine, Etc) so the first time they come we take a copy of ID and it stays on file.
Last edited by Loralie; 12/13/11 03:05 PM. Reason: can't spell.

Return to Top
#1644028 - 12/28/11 10:47 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
My current bank doesn't log anyone. My prior bank kept a log of everyone who accessed non-public areas. I believe my current bank should, but...

Return to Top
#1644767 - 12/30/11 04:35 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
And have you made the recommendation? Perhaps it is a case of "we've never had this problem before..." but social engineering can bite you especially this way. We had a story in Tech Talk (I believe) some time ago about a fellow who actually took over a meeting room in the company's building as he gathered data. And when many employees saw calls from in the building, they revealed all that was asked of them.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1645847 - 01/04/12 04:38 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
The recommendation has been made by myself (Compliance Officer), the Information Security Officer (prior and current) and the Physical Security Officer, but management refuses to "change the personality" of the Bank. There are many other security issues that have been brought to management’s attention that they refuse to do anything about, but I shouldn’t discuss those in an open forum.

Return to Top
#1645917 - 01/04/12 05:44 PM Re: Visitor's Log West Coast Comp

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You are not alone. Many banks won't take action on this topic until something happens or their regulator pushes them on it, at which time they will have to do more than if they had just put some security controls in place themselves.

Return to Top
#1647591 - 01/06/12 08:37 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
I agree Kathleen. If they regulator has to tell you to do something rather than you doing it yourself you will always end up doing more work than you would have if you had just put something in place yourself. I just can't get through to management on that one.

Return to Top
#1805835 - 04/17/13 09:57 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
We are an extremely customer friendly, small (and rural) bank. A vendor log was recommended by audit at the time there were many unknown workmen in the building with various bags of all sizes and shapes. In this age/time, no one batted an eye about the requirement to sign a log including date, name, purpose and business name with times in and out. The log is still operational and one more thing that can help protect the bank and bank assets.

Return to Top
#1814352 - 05/15/13 02:41 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
The Bear Offline
New Poster
The Bear
Indiana
I am curious how others are having non-bank personal sign in. Are you have them sign in themselves or are you have an employee enter their information into some sort of tracking spread sheet?

Return to Top
#1819396 - 05/31/13 09:31 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I can't see having a person log themselves. If a person want to go to your server room or adjust security cameras, you want to know that they were expected or needed, you want a name, a company, see an ID, etc.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1819435 - 06/01/13 02:26 PM Re: Visitor's Log Black66

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Many banks that have a paper signin book have you sign yourself in (in front of a bank representative who is at the desk) - which entails your name, your company, time, who you are seeing, etc.

You show ID.

They call the person expecting you and you wait.

Others who are computerized enter that data. They call the person and you wait.

You don't just wander off into the building.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z