Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1645410 - 01/03/12 06:45 PM How sad....
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
As my hubby and I were driving into our subdivision last night there were police cars and yellow tape surrounding a lake that is part of the golf course. We didn't know what happened and we didn't want to stop and ask. We figured we would hear about it today.

As I drove out of our subdivision this morning the yellow tape was still up, the sheriffs department was there, another officer was driving in towing a boat, and a local newstation was present. I googled the newstation and found out...

Body of missing diver found in lake at Brooksville golf course
Posted: 11:08 AM
Last Updated: 1 hour and 23 minutes ago

By: Cary Williams
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. - The body of a diver who was hired to retrieve golf balls at a Brooksville golf course was found late Tuesday morning.

Deputies say David Voiles arrived for work at the Sherman Hills Golf Course around 11:00 a.m. Monday to retrieve balls from the bottom of the lakes along the course.

Voiles made a phone call to his mother sometime after 1:00 p.m. and was not heard from again.

The Hernando County Sheriff's Office was notified he was missing just before 7:00 p.m.

Voiles' vehicle was still in the golf club's parking lot and the golf cart he used to get to the lake was next to the water.

Deputies searched the immediate area and were unable to locate the diver or his equipment before it became to dark to search.

Divers entered the water around 8 a.m. today. Voiles body was located in seven feet of water around 10:30 a.m.

An autopsy will be performed. It's believed Voiles may have died from a medical condition or equipment malfunction.

Those who knew him said Voiles will be sorely missed and remembered as being someone who always went above and beyond.

One person who knew him said Voiles once rescued a woman whose car had gone into the water.

In another article I read, Mr. Volies had been in the military, had recently returned from a tour in Iraq, has a purple heart and had survived a bomb blasting. He was retrieving golf balls as a side job to earn extra money for the past couple of years. He leaves behind a wife, not sure about any children though.

My prayers goes out to his family and friends.

Return to Top
#1645416 - 01/03/12 06:50 PM Re: How sad.... ecrew,CRCM
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
frown

Prayers for his family.

Return to Top
#1645420 - 01/03/12 06:51 PM Re: How sad.... ecrew,CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Truly very sad.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1675351 - 03/08/12 09:27 PM Re: How sad.... ecrew,CRCM
amcgregor Offline
New Poster
Fort Worth, TX
Terrible... prayers for that family...

Return to Top
#1675940 - 03/09/12 10:02 PM Re: How sad.... ecrew,CRCM
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
The same thing happened in SWFL last year when a diver got bitten by a cotton mouth snake and died. Sad.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett