Click to return to BOL home page
Banker Store Read A Reg BOL Insiders Career Connect Learning Connect Bankers Information Network

January 6, 2015
Business Accounts Documentation and Procedures with Beneficial Ownership
Deborah Crawford

January 6, 2015
FFIEC Cybersecurity Initiatives and Observations from the 2014 Assessments
Susan Orr

January 15, 2015
The ABC's of IRAs - The Basic Ingredients
Patrice Konarik

January 20, 2015
B & Z Appraisal Rules - Getting Them Right
Jack Holzknecht

January 21, 2015
HMDA Soup to Nuts
David Dickinson

January 22, 2015
Navigating the Treacherous Waters of IRA Rollovers, Transfers and Beneficiary Payouts
Patrice Konarik

January 28, 2015
Mortgage Life Cycle
Part I
David Dickinson and Jerod Moyer

Topic Options
#1647370 - 01/06/12 12:45 PM Stop Payments on Official Checks
I_heart_audit Offline

Loc: Midwest, United States
Hello, I'm currently reviewing our bank procedures regarding issuing stop payments on official checks. Our procedures state that to place a stop payment order on cashiers checks, bill payment checks and cd interest checks that a signed indemnity bond should be obtained and a completed stop payment form. Although I worked in a number of areas within banking, this is my first year as an auditor.
- Do bill payment checks or cd interest checks really need an indemnity bond?
- Should an indemnity bond be completed for personal money orders?
- Who signs the stop payment form for cashiers checks? The customer or an employee?
Please offer any assistance regarding how your institution deals with these situations. Thank you!

Audit
#1647795 - 01/07/12 04:47 PM Re: Stop Payments on Official Checks [Re: I_heart_audit]
Happy Birthday rlcarey Offline
10K Club

Loc: Galveston, TX
I think in all States it would not be legal to place a stop payment order on a Cashier's Check. I'm trying to think why a stop payment order would be issued on a bill payment or CD interest check and I can think of few. Indemnity bonds are a risk management call in any case. I'm not even sure where a person can buy one anymore.

#1651155 - 01/13/12 04:08 PM Re: Stop Payments on Official Checks [Re: I_heart_audit]
Jennifer K Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
The UCC (3-312) outlines how a claim for a lost, stolen, destroyed instrument can be perfected. Once perfected, the claim is enforceable.

At our institution, we have the claimant complete a "Declaration of Loss" form after which management will review, determine whether the item is still outstanding and then centrally a stop payment is placed on the item to cause it to reject and prevent duplicate payment of the item since a refund has been processed.

While placing a Stop Payment in general is not permitted, this is how to prevent duplicate payment of an item only after the UCC requirements have been met.

Moderator:  Andy Z