Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#1652735 - 01/19/12 03:20 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
We have a Havanese chosen because they do not bark a lot and have sweet dispositions - easy to train. They also are long hair but do not shed very much. The hair is designed to keep them cool in the south. He is a little bit bigger than our cats and gets along well with everyone. A guard dog he's not - but he'll show his love and appreciation to anyone in your home.

Google - what is the best dog for me and choose the animal discovery webpage, You take a short quiz on what you are looking for - it tells you which breeds meet that defintion and tells you local shelters where you can find them.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1652750 - 01/19/12 03:47 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have Lucy the slow witted WeinerBeagle (Beagle/dachshund mix) that I got from the local shelter. She is very loving, great with kids, and would not hurt a fly.

My son is bringing the dog from his mother's house over for a visit this weekend and my daughter is bringing her cat. So I will have 2 dogs and a cat running around - should be fun!

If you do get a small dog EGB, just don't dress it up in little costumes - that is just weird. I had a neighbor with a little Yorkie that he used to dress up in a police uniform (even had a little hat). It was the most ridiculous looking thing ever.

Return to Top
#1652756 - 01/19/12 03:38 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We have a multitude of different breeds in our neighborhood, and the ones that seem the best (as in, are gentle) with kids are the Westies, the Mini-Schnauzers, and the Wheaton Terriers.

Uh, and of course, my two huskies. Obviously. But I am admittedly biased. laugh laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1652763 - 01/19/12 03:42 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? A_G
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD™
EGB - do you currently have cats?

Growing up, all our labs actually slept with the cats! laugh

We do have kitties. But they are almost 18 and I would not get a dog until they are no longer with us. One of them in particular DOES. NOT. like dogs and I wouldn't do that to her.

Return to Top
#1652764 - 01/19/12 03:43 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? thomasj
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: thomasj
If you do get a small dog EGB, just don't dress it up in little costumes - that is just weird. I had a neighbor with a little Yorkie that he used to dress up in a police uniform (even had a little hat). It was the most ridiculous looking thing ever.

You're right, that's just weird. And I can only imagine if the costume gives the dog ideas above it's station, LOL. ("I'm wearing a police uniform, I must BE a policedog!")

Return to Top
#1652767 - 01/19/12 03:58 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
<<< TJ, this guy has a blaze orange vest with reflective strips that he wears when we walk at night. It's pretty cute!

Return to Top
#1652769 - 01/19/12 03:46 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Did y'all see the pick of D-Mo's dog with a sweater on? It's much easier to dress up a little dog. Some of them are funny.

Return to Top
#1652772 - 01/19/12 03:47 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? hmdagal
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: hmdagal
<<< TJ, this guy has a blaze orange vest with reflective strips that he wears when we walk at night. It's pretty cute!

Yeah, but to me that is just being smart/safe!

And unlike the police uniform, it probably does nothing in terms of inflating the dog's ego! laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1652775 - 01/19/12 03:48 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
Ditto on rescue groups and shelters. smile

Someone mentioned a Jack Russel- LOVE them. but WAY hyper. My ex got him in the divorce, and I miss him, but I'm okay with it. smile

I have a doxy-beagle mix I got from the pound and he's amazing. Sweetest dog you've ever met, just wish that short black/brown hair would stop removing itself from his body. lol. We've had him about 6-7 months, and he never barked- Until we went on vacation over christmas and he spent a weeks with 2 dogs who bark at everything. He's still not as bad as they are, but they definitly taught him a bad habit or two. lol

Return to Top
#1652779 - 01/19/12 03:49 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Peer pressure for dogs!!! laugh

Return to Top
#1652790 - 01/19/12 03:58 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Purex Offline
100 Club
South
My cousin gave me a high dollar male English Bulldog she bought for her husband that she said she could not get house broken. I got him when he was about 7 months old, he house broke for me, and is absolutely wonderful and extremely smart. He is about 50-60 pounds right now and is beautiful, he thinks he is one of the family. I have three boys, ages 5, 10, and 12 and he is wonderful with them. He sleeps most of the time and does not slobber like everyone told me he would. He really is awesome. I do agree with the others about adopting from your local shelter, people get pets and then do not want the maintenance they come with, and are to selfish to give the love they deserve, its really sad.

Return to Top
#1652794 - 01/19/12 04:11 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
esks Offline
Willie still loves razor bacon...
We have two Cairns and we love them. They are very smart and are good with our little girls. (They did take a while to warm up though, as they were the only children for close to 7 years.)

They do have a few bad habits, but those are probably our fault, not theirs. Our neighborhood does have fewer bunnies than before, but all in all they are very good boys! smile

Side note: They can no longer go out to the farm, as they love to "death roll" the cow paddies and they took at least 5 lives from one unfortunate kitten... smile

Return to Top
#1652812 - 01/19/12 04:21 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Originally Posted By: thomasj

You're right, that's just weird. And I can only imagine if the costume gives the dog ideas above it's station, LOL. ("I'm wearing a police uniform, I must BE a policedog!")

LOl, the uniform did give him a superiority complex! Sadly, the little fellow was trying to chase down a truck carrying deli meat to the grocery store down the street and bounced off the back tire. He survived but was never the same after that - would just stand out in the yard and shiver when a car went by.

Return to Top
#1652822 - 01/19/12 04:24 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
MIniature schnauzer all the way. They don't shed, but you do have to get the groomed pretty regularly. I've had 2. The first was very fiesty and yappy, the current one is very laid back and quiet. I think yappiness depends on temperment, just like humans. smile Miniature schaunzers are also very adaptable to their surroundings (they do well in large yards or small apartments). Plus they are sooooo cute, especially when you put cute little sweaters on them in the winter. smile

Return to Top
#1652826 - 01/19/12 04:13 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
I would love to get a dog too. Ideally, I would LOVE a weimaraner, but my house is too small. It's more like a doll house. So I will either have to wait to move to a bigger house, or get something smaller. I would only look at the Rescue shelter though. That's where all the pets I've ever had have come from.

The other problem is that I live on a crazy busy street. Teej's neighbor's little dog would have fits at my house.

Return to Top
#1652865 - 01/19/12 04:29 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? hmdagal
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: hmdagal

My Cairn terrier has a blaze orange safety vest with reflective strips for night walks, too. My Westie (a girl) has a pink safety vest with reflective strips. And I carry a flashlight.

Return to Top
#1652870 - 01/19/12 04:33 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We have a racing silk for our greyhound that says 'Retired Racer'. I've also got a few (he doesn't wear them, though) that I had made - one with Christmas material. We had a pink one made for the Cherry Blossom Festival in Macon that my husband painted cherry blossoms on. He wore it there.

Return to Top
#1652875 - 01/19/12 04:35 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? Skittles
A_G Offline
10K Club
Do a google image search for "dog in police uniform" - I never would have guess small dogs in police uniforms was the in thing! laugh

Return to Top
#1652882 - 01/19/12 04:54 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had actually thought about getting Lucy a vest to wear when I walk her in the rain/snow. Reflective would be nice because she is mostly black and sometimes the distracted drivers in the neighborhood don't see us walking along the side of the road. At least I don't think they do....

Return to Top
#1652893 - 01/19/12 05:00 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
We have a reflective leash and one of us wears a reflective vest along with carrying a flashlight. People are not paying attention at 5:30am....

Return to Top
#1652898 - 01/19/12 05:01 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
The last 2 we had were a Scottie and a Westie, both girls. Neither of them ever shed much. Loved them both, but they definitely had different personalities. The Scottie was more like a cat - independent, aloof sometimes, a lapdog when she felt like it. The Westie was a lover, people-pleaser, loved everyone.

I would recommend a Westie for families with kids. They're small but not too small, very loyal, playful, and they don't yap - they do bark like a bigger dog.

Having said that, now that we're looking for another dog or two, I'm not sure about another purebred. The comment above is correct about the breeding - both of our purebred dogs developed illnesses that were fairly common for the breed. We had a mutt previously that rarely had any medical problems.

Return to Top
#1652899 - 01/19/12 04:49 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? TB 12
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Originally Posted By: Sox Choked in 11
We have a reflective leash and one of us wears a reflective vest along with carrying a flashlight. People are not paying attention at 5:30am....

Dood. Like they don't see you. You're as tall as an office building.

Return to Top
#1652909 - 01/19/12 04:54 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Definitely do the online tests to see what breeds and/or class suit you best. We did it after we'd been dogless for awhile and the gran wanted a dog. It really helped.

Briefly, terries are noted for being high energy and often diggers too.
Working breeds (shelties and corgis are both working breeds) really like something to do. They've been know to herd the kids in their families. Might be fun for your kids to obedience train and show, especially if they're scouts and can earn badges, etc.
Labs and spaniels are hunting breeds. Sometimes they're great with kids. Other times they can be really one man dogs.

There are rescue groups for every breed out there. Once you take the test and see the kinds that fit your lifestyle, contact the rescue and ask to visit. It'll help you narrow down the choices so you're ready when your kitties are no longer an issue.

For the record, we have three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. One is mellow, one can be hyper and one tends to be skittish around strangers because she was a rescue. They curl up on a pillow together during the day while we're at work/school and pay no mind to the two cats they share the house with. But in the evening when everyone's home, they can have some crazy bouts of five animal tag through the house.

Return to Top
#1652914 - 01/19/12 05:10 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? kitten
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: kitten

laugh

The moron delivering the papers is the worst..he is like the mailman from Funny Farm...

Return to Top
#1652925 - 01/19/12 05:19 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? TB 12
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: kitten

laugh

The moron delivering the papers is the worst..he is like the mailman from Funny Farm...

I think that guy delivered papers in my town too! He used to terrorize me when I was running in the morning. I swear he would go around corners on two wheels!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9