BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1652431 - 01/18/12 09:03 PM SAR Tax Evasion
mstark Offline
Gold Star
mstark
Bank
We have a loan customer who notified us they have 20,000 dollars of income not reported.

Should we file a SAR on this individual for tax evasion or is that an IRS issue?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1652449 - 01/18/12 09:06 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Others may offer a different view, but I am never a proponent of filing for suspected tax evasion, in and of itself. Failure to report certain income to the IRS is not an activity conducted at or through the bank, so I see no grounds for a SAR.

Return to Top
#1652456 - 01/18/12 09:23 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: mstark
We have a loan customer who notified us they have 20,000 dollars of income not reported.

Should we file a SAR on this individual for tax evasion or is that an IRS issue?

I concur with AgentP, unless they somehow misrepresented their income on any information provided to the bank as that would be loan fraud. If the customer just told the loan officer that, then I don't see it as actionable.

Please tell us the LO didn't include the $20,000 in the credit underwriting process........

Return to Top
#1652464 - 01/18/12 09:28 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
If the customer indicated that in a prior tax year, he had $20k that he knew was reportable as income, but he failed to do so, I would file a SAR.

If he indicated that he had $20k for current tax year that was not reflected in his income, I probably would not file. He has not committed tax fraud...yet.

Return to Top
#1652468 - 01/18/12 09:17 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
My major concern would be how the lender is verifying the income that is allegedly not being reported. This is especially critical on HPMLs, but will start becoming more so on all loans eventually.

Return to Top
#1652469 - 01/18/12 09:18 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion BrendaC
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: BrendaC
If the customer indicated that in a prior tax year, he had $20k that he knew was reportable as income, but he failed to do so, I would file a SAR.

Even if it has nothing to do with activity conducted at or through the bank?

Return to Top
#1652470 - 01/18/12 09:19 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion Doug Hendrickson
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: Doug Hendrickson
My major concern would be how the lender is verifying the income that is allegedly not being reported. This is especially critical on HPMLs, but will start becoming more so on all loans eventually.

And I think that's where randy was going with his statement about not including the $20k in underwriting.

Return to Top
#1652509 - 01/18/12 10:11 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/documents/new_6_08/SAR_Act_Rev_12.pdf

PAGE 14

Law Enforcement Support
Several Other types of suspicious activity are regularly indicated and are of enormous value to specific law enforcement agencies, such as: Tax Evasion; Fraudulent W-2; Narcotics Trafficking; Currency Smuggling; and Employing Illegal Aliens.

Would they be voluntary?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1652513 - 01/18/12 10:30 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I agree, if you have something to support it. Think of your supporting documentation. A hand written note saying that the applicant mentioned this to a LO in a loan interview? That is a little different from providing fraudulent W-2 and other suspicion of tax evasion that can be supported through documentation in possession of the bank.

Return to Top
#1652557 - 01/19/12 03:30 AM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
But even a fraudulent W2 or tax return doesn't necessarily indicate tax evasion. Loan fraud, sure. Tax evasion, possibly, but not likely.

Ed- to answer your question as to whether or not those filings are voluntary, I'd say what does the activity look like? If it's reportable activity, file it. Narcotics trafficking, employing illegal aliens- these are almost always going to involve transaction activity that, in and of itself, meets the reporting thresholds. And if, when reporting suspicious activity, you suspect tax evasion is a factor, say so.

All I'm saying though, is that as a standalone reason, it's next to impossible to justify filing for tax evasion because tax evasion isn't activity.

Return to Top
#1652626 - 01/19/12 01:48 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I don't know Agent. I have a number of customers who are cashing out checks made payable to "cash" and using the funds to pay employees. Every regulator and LE Officer I have spoken to want SAR's filed for tax evasion (payroll).

However, in this particular case, I agree with you. There does need to be some activity going at or through the bank. A comment alone won't do it.

Return to Top
#1652661 - 01/19/12 02:39 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion ACBbank
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"I have a number of customers who are cashing out checks made payable to "cash" and using the funds to pay employees. Every regulator and LE Officer I have spoken to want SAR's filed for tax evasion (payroll). "

I'm not sure how paying a cash payroll equals tax evasion. They may be paying independent contracts or they may be paying their proper withholding taxes. While it might trigger a quick investigation, it is not a one size fits all outcome.

Return to Top
#1652667 - 01/19/12 02:31 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
AgentP - From SAR Activity Review...

"By requiring the reporting of transactions “conducted or attempted by, at, or through” an institution, FinCEN recognizes that reportable activity does not necessarily happen at an institution’s physical location."

Return to Top
#1652751 - 01/19/12 03:34 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I'm not arguing that point- reportable activity can happen in just about any location, but it still has to happen. The statement simply clarifies that the activity can be done by the bank or through the bank, and not just at the bank.

Consider the original scenario- a loan applicant says he doesn't report all of his income. What activity has taken place to support the SAR? And how can it be quantfied?

Return to Top
#1652811 - 01/19/12 04:07 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If a loan applicant claims that he has annual income of $150,000 on an application for a $300,000 mortgage and you see that his most recent tax return reflects income of only $75,000, you will require him to to reconcile the two numbers, right? If you determine that he can't reconcile the numbers, he either overstated his income to the bank (fraudulent loan application) or understated his income to the IRS (possible tax evasion). In either case, you've got a SAR to consider.

But a simple statement (braggadocio?) that he didn't report income to the IRS when it's not related to any transaction at the bank doesn't pull my SAR trigger.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1652866 - 01/19/12 04:29 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
AquaMarine Offline
100 Club
New York, NY
Unless you tape recorded the conversation, there is no supporting documentation. Hence, a SAR should not be filed solely based on a verbal comment.
"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." -Thessalonians 5:18

Return to Top
#1652938 - 01/19/12 05:12 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion rlcarey
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
"I have a number of customers who are cashing out checks made payable to "cash" and using the funds to pay employees. Every regulator and LE Officer I have spoken to want SAR's filed for tax evasion (payroll). "

I'm not sure how paying a cash payroll equals tax evasion. They may be paying independent contracts or they may be paying their proper withholding taxes. While it might trigger a quick investigation, it is not a one size fits all outcome.

Agreed. But the conversations that I have had with regulators go along the lines of "It's not proof of tax evasion, but is suggestive of it." I'm not going to play accountant and attempt to reconcile tax returns to bank statements. It's almost easier to file the SAR and be done with it.

Return to Top
#1652955 - 01/19/12 05:31 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I wonder why tax evasion is not a check box on the SAR form whistle

Return to Top
#1652966 - 01/19/12 05:35 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion John Burnett
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
If a loan applicant claims that he has annual income of $150,000 on an application for a $300,000 mortgage and you see that his most recent tax return reflects income of only $75,000, you will require him to to reconcile the two numbers, right? If you determine that he can't reconcile the numbers, he either overstated his income to the bank (fraudulent loan application) or understated his income to the IRS (possible tax evasion). In either case, you've got a SAR to consider.

But a simple statement (braggadocio?) that he didn't report income to the IRS when it's not related to any transaction at the bank doesn't pull my SAR trigger.

This I agree with.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1653120 - 01/19/12 06:58 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion rlcarey
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
I wonder why tax evasion is not a check box on the SAR form whistle

Preaching to the choir Sir.

Return to Top
#2152060 - 11/02/17 03:19 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
Kind of along these same lines...

We have a commercial loan customer who purchased real estate and each of the last three months has made payments of around $12k but $9k in cash then writing a check for the other $3k. What are your thoughts on this? The LO has explained where the cash comes from but just seems odd that loan payments are never over $10k in cash but consistently $9k.

Return to Top
#2152067 - 11/02/17 03:23 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
File.

Return to Top
#2152076 - 11/02/17 03:34 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
File, and generally cash loan payments alert for us at fairly low levels and if it's a continuing thing we instruct the account officer to re-direct the customer's cash activity to the appropriate deposit account (and give them the CTR Reference Guide, if needed).

Return to Top
#2152096 - 11/02/17 04:24 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. What box(es) in Part II of the SAR do you think would be marked for this type of activity?

Return to Top
#2152101 - 11/02/17 04:34 PM Re: SAR Tax Evasion mstark
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
Suspicion concerning source of funds, and 'other' for unusual cash. That's how we do it.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z