Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1654558 - 01/23/12 08:00 PM Required Elder Abuse Training
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
I reviewed posts in the WA State forum for the last few years and didn't see any discussion on required elder abuse training by WA state financial institutions. Perhaps everyone already knows all about this requirement, but I thought I would post to try to catch any stragglers. See the RCW here (new in 2010):

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=74.34.220

RCW 74.34.220
Financial exploitation of vulnerable adults — Training — Reporting.

(1) A financial institution shall provide training concerning the financial exploitation of vulnerable adults to the employees specified in subsection (2) of this section within one year of June 10, 2010, and shall thereafter provide such training to the new employees specified in subsection (2) of this section within the first three months of their employment.

(2) A financial institution that is a broker-dealer or investment adviser as defined in RCW 21.20.005 shall provide training concerning the financial exploitation of vulnerable adults to employees who are required to be registered in the state of Washington as salespersons or investment adviser representatives under RCW 21.20.040 and who have contact with customers and access to account information on a regular basis and as part of their job. All other financial institutions shall provide training concerning the financial exploitation of vulnerable adults to employees who have contact with customers and access to account information on a regular basis and as part of their job.

(3) The training must include recognition of indicators of financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult, the manner in which employees may report suspected financial exploitation to the department and law enforcement as permissive reporters, and steps employees may take to prevent suspected financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult as authorized by law or agreements between the financial institution and customers of the financial institution. The office of the attorney general and the department shall develop a standardized training that financial institutions may offer, or the financial institution may develop its own training.

(4) A financial institution may provide access to or copies of records that are relevant to suspected financial exploitation or attempted financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult to the department, law enforcement, or the prosecuting attorney's office, either as part of a referral to the department, law enforcement, or the prosecuting attorney's office, or upon request of the department, law enforcement, or the prosecuting attorney's office pursuant to an investigation. The records may include historical records as well as records relating to the most recent transaction or transactions that may comprise financial exploitation.

(5) A financial institution or employee of a financial institution participating in good faith in making a report or providing documentation or access to information to the department, law enforcement, or the prosecuting attorney's office under this chapter shall be immune from criminal, civil, or administrative liability.

Return to Top
#1660062 - 02/02/12 09:05 PM Re: Required Elder Abuse Training EmilyAnn
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
This required training is administered through the Attorney Gerenals office. Here is a link to powerpoints of the "approved" training:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/VulnerableAdultAbuse/SpottingFinancialExploitation.aspx

I emailed the AG office last year and got a Word version. Then I used it to build a couse in our CBT and assigned it to staff. That seemed to work out OK.

Return to Top