Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1661876 - 02/08/12 02:07 PM Obamacare and religious organizations
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...EditorialPage_h

In late January the Health and Human Services Department required almost all insurance plans to cover contraceptive and sterilization methods, including the morning-after pill.

HHS chose to draw the rule's conscience exceptions for "religious employers" so narrowly that they will not be extended to religious charities, universities, schools, hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters and other institutions that oppose contraception as a matter of religious belief.

....Obamacare, here we go.....

Return to Top
#1661884 - 02/08/12 02:24 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I think the separation of church and state comes into play here - according to the law, these are legal options. I would be much more concerned if Obama ignored that and let individual groups make up their own rules.

Return to Top
#1661888 - 02/08/12 02:17 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Would that be something like it is leagal to have immigration laws but illegal for states to enforce them?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1661937 - 02/08/12 03:10 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
It is ok to infringe on religious freedom so long as it is Christian.

Return to Top
#1661953 - 02/08/12 03:38 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
There are plenty of Christians who not only are not against contraception, but actually use it! What about them - their insurance won't cover it because they work at a church-affiliated university or hospital?

Return to Top
#1661955 - 02/08/12 03:28 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Why does the government have to mandate that insurance cover something for it to be insured?

God forbid if you want to use something you actually pay for it.

But that argument is pure falicy. We are not arguing about those who do not feel like the government is infringing on their religious freedom, we are arguing about those who feel it is.

We don't similarly say that because Muslims feel infringed by not practicing Sharia law, what about those who don't like Sharia law. That argument just holds no water at all.

Return to Top
#1661958 - 02/08/12 03:28 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
We shouldn't have religious-based exceptions to laws at all.

Return to Top
#1661962 - 02/08/12 03:30 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: TexMex

I actually do agree with you. However, why do we have a law mandating that insurance companies cover the cost of contraception at all? God forbid insurance companies practice business based on supply and demand.

Return to Top
#1662005 - 02/08/12 04:17 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Stupendous Man
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Fortunately, the 1st Amendment protects our right to religious expression. Last year, San Francisco tried to ban circumsicion. As a Jew, my religion compels me to have all sons circumscized on their 8th day. If that law passed, would I not be allowed to adhere to my faith?

If an individual Catholic chooses not to follow their religious teachings that is their choice, but wholly different from saying the institutions themselves cannot follow their teachings.

Return to Top
#1662014 - 02/08/12 04:26 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I find it interesting that our national view of separation of church and state has become so extreme. At the time that the constitution was written, there weren't but a handful of schools that were not affiliated with, and frequently conducted in a church....
I get the whole idea that we dont want "King George and the Church of England" to rule every aspect of out lives, but really? Was this what the authors intended? I just dont think so. My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1662021 - 02/08/12 04:34 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations straw
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: straw

Fortunately, the 1st Amendment protects our right to religious expression. Last year, San Francisco tried to ban circumsicion. As a Jew, my religion compels me to have all sons circumscized on their 8th day. If that law passed, would I not be allowed to adhere to my faith?

If an individual Catholic chooses not to follow their religious teachings that is their choice, but wholly different from saying the institutions themselves cannot follow their teachings.

hmmm...that's an interesting point that i hadn't thought of. But it seems like free expression would make a loophole for every law. For example, if someone belonged to a religion that required human sacrifice, I dont think they should be exempt from murder charges. So, how do you decide where to draw the line? Is it only free expression for popular religions?

I think it should just mean that laws can't be made with the goal of limiting free expression--there has to be a non-religious reason for it. So, for your circumcision example, it would matter if there were any actual health concerns associated wtih circumsion. For example, if circumsized guys, I dunno, dropped dead on their 21st birthday.

But that's just my opinion. I dont know what courts have ruled or said before.

Return to Top
#1662049 - 02/08/12 05:06 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Free expression creates a loophole so long as it does not violate another federal law. That is why the issue is, why is the Federal Government legislating such a thing. The market has obviously not dictated that health care programs be required to pay for contraceptives, so why does the admin feel that they need to mandate this?

Seems to me like another attempt to legislate the market. Sad thing is, some religion had to get in the way.

Return to Top
#1662054 - 02/08/12 05:24 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Stupendous Man
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Is it only free expression for popular religions?

Long-established religions really. The courts have consistently protected long-established religions more fiercely than more recently established ones.

Return to Top
#1662106 - 02/08/12 05:50 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Stupendous Man
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: straw

hmmm...that's an interesting point that i hadn't thought of. But it seems like free expression would make a loophole for every law. For example, if someone belonged to a religion that required human sacrifice, I dont think they should be exempt from murder charges. So, how do you decide where to draw the line? Is it only free expression for popular religions?

I think it should just mean that laws can't be made with the goal of limiting free expression--there has to be a non-religious reason for it. So, for your circumcision example, it would matter if there were any actual health concerns associated wtih circumsion. For example, if circumsized guys, I dunno, dropped dead on their 21st birthday.

But that's just my opinion. I dont know what courts have ruled or said before.

The Courts use a standard called strict scrutiny to decide if the state action is so important. Using your example, death by 21 from a circumcision would be a very compelling reason prompting state action.

In this case, where 90% of insurance plans currently offer or will offer this coverage (based on Obamacare law), the compelling state interest just isn't there.

Return to Top
#1662201 - 02/08/12 07:10 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations DEL
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Originally Posted By: DEL
I think the separation of church and state comes into play here - according to the law, these are legal options. I would be much more concerned if Obama ignored that and let individual groups make up their own rules.

Interesting - because I see this as a violation of the separation of church and state. The state is dictating to the church that they must provide a benefit for their employees that the church is on record as being against. The state is trying to tell the church that its beliefs don't really matter - the "STATE" beliefs are all that really count.

Someone working for the Catholic church would have to have been born under some kind of rock not to understand what the church's beliefs are on that topic. It's their choice to work there or not - in this day and age it's their choice to pay for the employer insurance or not. My insurance does not cover 100% of everything under the sun. It won't cover my daughter's ADHD medication - $150 per month - for example. However, my HSA can be used for many things. We all make choices based on our belief systems. Why should the government get in the business of legislating what our benefit plans will be/cover?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1662217 - 02/08/12 07:42 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Stupendous Man
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: DEL

Yeah! Who do these individual groups think they are?! The government knows best! Individual rights? Get the @#$% outta here - we're from the government and we're here to help!

LOL - we're comparing a law requiring a faith-based organization to pay for an abortifacient to a law preventing a "faith-based" orgnization from murdering a human being. Kind of through-the-looking-glass.

Return to Top
#1662230 - 02/08/12 07:53 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Jokerman
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Jokerman

LOL - we're comparing a law requiring a faith-based organization to pay for an abortifacient to a law preventing a "faith-based" orgnization from murdering a human being. Kind of through-the-looking-glass.

And yet, in an odd way, maybe not. After all, the intent of an abortifacient is, in fact, murder. The difference between the two laws, of course, being that of requiring murder as opposed to preventing murder.

Return to Top
#1662242 - 02/08/12 07:56 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Sinatra Fan
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
the morning after pill isn't the same as the abortion pill. The morning after pill wont cause an abortion or miscarriage.

Or were you saying that all contraception is murder?

Return to Top
#1662277 - 02/08/12 08:38 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Stupendous Man
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
and

here

we

go!

smirk

Return to Top
#1662282 - 02/08/12 08:29 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
the morning after pill isn't the same as the abortion pill.

the Catholic Church would disagree with you on this one...

Return to Top
#1662294 - 02/08/12 08:40 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
another reason not to have religious exemptions at all. The pope shouldn't have veto power.

Return to Top
#1662299 - 02/08/12 08:46 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Isn't that between the Pope and Catholics?

Return to Top
#1662307 - 02/08/12 09:09 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Miscuit
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: Miscuit
here

we

go!

::runs and fetches an ice-cold Bud Light for Miscuit::

Return to Top
#1662314 - 02/08/12 09:00 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
::looks down at the pavement and realizes "tolerance" is a one-way street::

Return to Top
#1662338 - 02/08/12 09:17 PM Re: Obamacare and religious organizations Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Why is the morning after pill medical treatment? So then what do you call the act the night before?

Should we have to pay for that too?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett