Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1662324 - 02/08/12 09:20 PM "official check" submitted as preauthorized debit
MMD Offline
New Poster
We sold official check to customer and when it was presented for payment it had been turned in to a preauthorized debit, which had no signature, no fractional aba, payee was altered and it was not endorsed. I returned the item as a non cash item and if it is presented again I will return as altered. Has anyone had this issue? I could not find reg. to cover this

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1662353 - 02/08/12 09:47 PM Re: "official check" submitted as preauthorized debit MMD
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
I have run into this as well. NACHA allows certain check types (generally personal checks) to be converted into point of purchase (POP) electronic withdrawals. The cashier processes the check to covert it and hands the original back to the customer with a "VOID" stamp on it. Occaisionally you will have a poorly trained cashier do this with a commercial item (generally identified by the check number in the auxillary field in the MICR encoding). The store's system will reject the electronic item because it is not eligible to be converted. Now the store has a problem. NACHA will not allow the item to be presented electronically, and the cashier returned the origianl document to the customer. So the store tries to collect with the "preauthorized debit." The problem for the bank is that it is still obligated to honor that cashier's check in the customer's possession and cannot put a stop payment on it. Generally, I kick these items back as unauthorized and put it back on the store to recover the check from their customer.

Return to Top
#1662356 - 02/08/12 09:50 PM Re: "official check" submitted as preauthorized debit BrianC
MMD Offline
New Poster
The item was not presented as an ACH, but a paper preauthorized debit

Return to Top
#1662359 - 02/08/12 09:53 PM Re: "official check" submitted as preauthorized debit MMD
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Correct, which is why I stated

Quote:
NACHA will not allow the item to be presented electronically, and the cashier returned the origianl document to the customer. So the store tries to collect with the "preauthorized debit."

Return to Top
#1662452 - 02/09/12 09:56 AM Re: "official check" submitted as preauthorized debit MMD
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Brian's said it more eloquently, but for it to be a "pre-authorized debit" your bank would have had to authorize it. It did not. Return it as unauthorized.

Return to Top
#1662674 - 02/09/12 04:40 PM Re: "official check" submitted as preauthorized debit BrianC
MMD Offline
New Poster
Thanks to you both

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett