Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1663620 - 02/10/12 07:33 PM Negotiable Instrument?
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
I know the CTR form defines a negotiable instrument as "All checks and drafts (including business, personal,bank, cashier’s and third-party), money
orders, and promissory notes. For purposes of this CTR,
all traveler’s checks shall also be considered negotiable
instruments whether or not they are in bearer form."

If you are waiting on a customer who has reportable currency, and you provide them with a withdrawal slip (not a counter check, or a personal check) to complete the withdrawal, is that withdrawal slip considered a negotiable instrument for CTR purposes? In my opinion, you would mark "negotiable instrument cashed, account number affected, and deposit/withdrawal." In the same sense, would a saving's withdrawal form that is stamped as "non-negotiable" be considered a negotiable instrument for CTR purposes?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1663635 - 02/10/12 07:42 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
For a withdrawal slip from a customer, I check "deposit/withdrawal." If someone were to cash a check off of that same account, I check "negotiable instrument cashed."

For the savings withdrawal, "deposit/withdrawal" as well.

Return to Top
#1663645 - 02/10/12 07:48 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'll cast my vote with Mississippi 010. A withdrawal slip isn't negotiable: it can't be transferred.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1663650 - 02/10/12 07:50 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
But if you write a personal check to yourself for cash, then you would have a negotiable instrument, correct?

Return to Top
#1663675 - 02/10/12 08:11 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Leo- Yes, that's correct. The item itself is a negotiable instrument & he would have cashed a check instead of made a withdrawal.

Return to Top
#1684456 - 03/30/12 08:47 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
Sorry for revisiting this, but if the transaction credits a GL account in the process, which is an account held at the bank, is that considered a deposit to the GL account?

Return to Top
#1684461 - 03/30/12 08:54 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If the customer is giving you more than $10,000 in cash to credit to a GL account, it's not a deposit. I suggest you check "other" and enter the account name. Otherwise, pity the soul who tries to look the transaction up months later.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 03/30/12 09:00 PM.

Return to Top
#1684558 - 03/31/12 08:27 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Also, as a reminder, examiners generally request a list of these "suspense" type accounts for review to ensure they are not being used to bypass any required reporting. BSA should review periodically to ensure entries are clearly properly and on a timely basis and that no red flags are present.

Return to Top
#1684560 - 03/31/12 08:40 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
All I can say that running cash from a customer directly into a GL account is a very bad practice and creates all kinds of issues, as Branda alluded too. It raises your BSA risks a hundred fold. I have yet to find a ligitimate reason for this practice.

Return to Top
#1684569 - 04/01/12 09:47 AM Re: Negotiable Instrument? rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I struggled to think of an example of where this could happen, but decided to answer the question as asked. All I could think of that might be reasonable was a recovery on a charged off loan.

Return to Top
#1684647 - 04/02/12 02:20 PM Re: Negotiable Instrument? leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
The cashier's checks that we sell are not "on us" if that makes sense. However, the cash in from the customer affects the cashier's checks general ledger account (the pink copy of the cashier's check) that we have. Therefore, because it is an account held by the bank, we list that account number on the CTR.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z