BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1667517 - 02/21/12 01:32 AM Apple Friend and a Project
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I remember in the past having a philosophical debate about apple and mac products. I contended (regarding pc operating systems) that Apple missed the boat because they tried to differentiate their product to the point where people who were Windows savvy had a difficult time using Apple products. I was flamed for that, but that is ok. But after an experience I contend that there really is an issue and Mac should do their best to try to make their system more like windows. Why Mac and not windows? Because Windows owns the OS market.

I was helping this gal with a project she was working on. She could not figure out how to get data off of my usb stick because "I am used to apple computers not windows".

Please note: I am not bashing all apple products. From what I have seen they make great phones and paper weights (jk smile ) but when it comes to computer and laptop operating systems, their attempts to differentiate have actually caused harm.
Last edited by Moderate; 02/21/12 03:14 AM.

Return to Top
#1667550 - 02/21/12 01:31 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
So I guess you could say that the difference between a Mac and a PC are like...apples and oranges...ba du bum

Return to Top
#1667648 - 02/21/12 03:27 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Quote:
they tried to differentiate their product to the point where people who were Windows savvy had a difficult time using Apple products.

YES!!!!!!!

grin

Return to Top
#1667698 - 02/21/12 04:18 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I would say that Apple threw up the white flag to Microsoft 20 years ago and rather than compete in the business space, they made a strategic decision to corner the consumer market.

Thus it really is apples to oranges (no pun intended). I use both products extensively but for completely different purposes.

Return to Top
#1667771 - 02/21/12 06:01 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
CheshireAliCat Offline
100 Club
NJ
I use both products, also, and I find that my Mac is just more consumer intuitive than my PC. When Office upgraded for the Mac, it took a few minutes of clicking around to have it all figured out, but Office 7 makes me want to kill someone every time I edit a document...

It does make me crazy that the two are so incompatible (ever try to sync an Android to a Mac?) but using both tends to reinforce my affinity to the Apple systems.

Return to Top
#1667795 - 02/21/12 06:08 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
So I guess you could say that the difference between a Mac and a PC are like...apples and oranges...ba du bum

I'm surprised you didn't say apples and lemons!

I'm always amazed by how much more is available for Windows OS and the PC, but at the same time, how buggy everything is in comparison to what is available for the Mac.

Return to Top
#1667798 - 02/21/12 06:11 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Apple is really good for desktop publishing, but that has been my only experience with a Mac...and even that was many years ago...i'd love to buy one for home, but it took me forever to teach MsGilmore to use a PC, don't want to go through that retraining process again...

Return to Top
#1667888 - 02/21/12 07:36 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project HappyGilmore
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Apple is really good for desktop publishing, but that has been my only experience with a Mac...and even that was many years ago...i'd love to buy one for home, but it took me forever to teach MsGilmore to use a PC, don't want to go through that retraining process again...

Exactly what I am getting at. A computer already exists. For Apple to have tried to differentiate their product to the point that someone has to be re-taught how to use the goods, is a total misstep.

Return to Top
#1667892 - 02/21/12 07:40 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Mod

Apple was est. in 1976. Windows in 1984 as an add-on to DOS

CAMS

Return to Top
#1667912 - 02/21/12 08:22 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
No one in my family has any difficulty moving between a PC and a Mac. My daughter's macbook is going on 6 years old, the overhaul last year by MacResources, included a new keyboard, shell, upgraded OS and double the memory, cost less than $100. Try that with a PC.

Return to Top
#1667916 - 02/21/12 08:26 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
FWIW

It takes better hardware to run a windows OS to an Mac OS 10.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1667921 - 02/21/12 08:30 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project edAudit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
FWIW

It takes better more complicated and expensive hardware, made by different companies that tend to be incompatible, to run a windows OS to an Mac OS 10.

there, fixed that for you for clarity!!!!

Return to Top
#1667927 - 02/21/12 08:34 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
FWIW

It takes better more complicated and expensive hardware, made by different companies that tend to be incompatible, to run a windows OS to an Mac OS 10.

there, fixed that for you for clarity!!!!

<<<<
Checking to see if I know anyone on the current death panel. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1667935 - 02/21/12 08:39 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project edAudit
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Mod

Not debating who was first. I am have an issue with an established product where two products are now differentiated beyond a reasonable point.

For example, lets say there were two types of TVs that were very popular. One of which operated one way, one operated a totally different functional way. Both allowed you to view and hear shows (well the stereo let you hear but you know what I am saying). Imagine that people would go to places and not know how to operate one or the other.

Return to Top
#1667939 - 02/21/12 08:45 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
VCR vs Betamax

Blueray vs hd dvd

Usually the market will determine (capitalism at its best) but there is so many problems with windows that apple found a place and can still compete.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1667942 - 02/21/12 09:01 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
:grabs popcorn and sits down:

Return to Top
#1667951 - 02/21/12 08:56 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Popcorn will not work because we both actually agree that two (or 3 with Linux) is not necessary. If windows would create a operating system that will work and not need to be updated every day or apple will license there OS but both co are only looking at the bottom line and not what is best for the consumer. The gvmt. should get off the backs of the banks and tackle this one.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1668033 - 02/21/12 10:08 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Linux rocks, but it will be hard pressed to take the market. Much more like windows, except you actually have to know how to use a computer to use it... so it will never catch on.

Return to Top
#1668075 - 02/22/12 01:48 AM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Linux is free and does not have an agreement with manufactures for extra charges so it will not catch on.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1668165 - 02/22/12 03:01 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Linux is not one of my favorite characters on Charlie Brown.

Return to Top
#1668193 - 02/22/12 03:29 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Moderate
Mod

Not debating who was first. I am have an issue with an established product where two products are now differentiated beyond a reasonable point.

For example, lets say there were two types of TVs that were very popular. One of which operated one way, one operated a totally different functional way. Both allowed you to view and hear shows (well the stereo let you hear but you know what I am saying). Imagine that people would go to places and not know how to operate one or the other.

But you don't have one established product, you have TWO established products.

Return to Top
#1668216 - 02/22/12 03:52 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
The market seems for Apple seems pretty healthy. Not sure what the big deal is. there's two products, some people like one, some the other, some both...but there's apparently enough demand for both. It's not like Apple is a struggling business.
Last edited by TexMex; 02/22/12 03:52 PM.
Return to Top
#1668331 - 02/22/12 05:58 PM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Sound Tactic
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Be careful TexMex. Shemp has declared that Apple is foolish for being different, especially since he has a hard time using the product.

Return to Top
#1668625 - 02/23/12 12:53 AM Re: Apple Friend and a Project TB 12
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Sox Choked in 11
Be careful TexMex. Shemp has declared that Apple is foolish for being different, especially since he has a hard time using the product.

Well if you would have bothered to read other posts, you would see that other people have also come to this conclusion. Actually if you would have read my first post the same logic could be extrapolated.

But my logic has nothing to do with anything other than their consumer operating system. I realize that it is just easier to paint everything I say with a broad brush. That way, you really don't have to think about it. PM me if you need me walk you through this one.

Return to Top
#1668626 - 02/23/12 12:54 AM Re: Apple Friend and a Project Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: TexMex
The market seems for Apple seems pretty healthy. Not sure what the big deal is. there's two products, some people like one, some the other, some both...but there's apparently enough demand for both. It's not like Apple is a struggling business.

Actually it is on the OS market.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett