Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1699619 - 05/15/12 03:41 PM Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud)
jonv Offline
100 Club
Our customer purchased a cashiers check from our bank and mailed it to a fraudulent business (i.e. our customer is being scammed). Can we place a stop payment on this cashiers check?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1699627 - 05/15/12 03:50 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Payment cannot legally be stopped on a cashier's check. The issuing bank is obliged to pay it if presented by a person entitled to enforce it. Any holder in due course would be so entitled. See UCC §§ 3-411 and 3-412.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1699633 - 05/15/12 03:54 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
Refusal of payment of a Cashier's Check can only be done in the instance of it being lost, stolen, or destroyed. Refer to UCC § 3-312: http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/3/3-312.html

You cannot place a stop payment on a cashier's check and refusing to pay a cashier's check under any other circumstance than outlined above leaves you open to a financial liability.

Return to Top
#1699763 - 05/15/12 05:56 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
jonv Offline
100 Club
Could we attempt to return the cashier's check "Refer to Maker" and hopefully the depository bank would possibly realize their customer is a fraudster?

Return to Top
#1699798 - 05/15/12 06:40 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You could attempt that piece of subterfuge, but at the end of the day the depositary bank, as holder in due course, will come to you with the expectation of receiving payment not only for the check but also any costs it incurred as the result of your refusal to pay.

The moral of this story: It was your customer who was duped and your customer who is out the money. Don't make your customer's gullibility your problem.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1699862 - 05/15/12 08:14 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
Could we attempt to return the cashier's check "Refer to Maker"

Your bank is the maker.

Return to Top
#1699866 - 05/15/12 08:18 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Perhaps the reference was to The Maker.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1699872 - 05/15/12 08:26 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Back in my teller days I had a number of customers deposit a check and state that they're going to home and pray that it doesn't bounce.

Return to Top
#1699930 - 05/15/12 11:19 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
This is now a civil matter between your client and the person that they paid with the cashier's check. You don't have a dog in this fight, no matter how much the client may try to make it seem as if it's your problem to fix.

Return to Top
#1700905 - 05/17/12 10:17 PM Re: Stop Payment on Cashiers Check (potential fraud) jonv
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Logic above aside, if the other bank paid out the funds, "the depository bank would possibly realize their customer is a fraudster" is only going to ensure they want the money from your bank sooner rather than later.

I will say that once upon a time, in a bank far far away, a cashier's check was issued that should not have been. A gal at our bank with a strong personality called the bank we knew was getting the check. The customer drove straight over. Our gal told that bank's cashier (who she knew) that we would not honor the check.

It was a bluff, it wasn't legal, but the customer came back to our bank to discuss the matter. (FWIW I was but a peon in the bank at the time, an observer.) That, and the (stupid) loan that funded that check were both taken care of. We were lucky in more ways than one and the new lender did not last long at our bank.

I give you that story not because it worked, but because losses could have been greater had the customer gone to a savvy attorney and not back to our bank.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett