Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#170339 - 03/31/04 11:13 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Something like this: We will use the Bankers System's Consumer Loan App which has the intent language at the top, will not have the intent laguage on the URLA or use a separate form at this time, and for commercial lending will have a separate form.

Anon, is your commercial form similar to Lois'?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#170340 - 04/01/04 07:01 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

I think the guarantee issue is the easiest to solve. Have a policy that says that specific owners or officers are expected to guarantee loans on closely held business and get an intent to guarantee from anyone outside of that group, including any spouses that may become involved.

That's exactly what one bank did to get out of Reg B issues concerning guarantys. The next thing was to require the loan officers to get documentation as to who the principals are, for example if the borrower is a corporation, get documentation of who owns the corporation and in what percentage.

Side benefit to this was the emphasis on proper due dilligence. (Or the question I asked "How can you make a loan to a company if you're not really sure who owns it?")

With respect to the spouse "offering" his or her guaranty, be very, very careful about "taking" that guaranty. Depending on your state law, that guaranty may offer nothing (except potential headaches) if the spouse does not own sufficent separate property needed to support the credit. The last thing you need is an accusation that your "volunteer" guarantor form was co-erced!

Think of it as "Just Say No" to useless guarantys.

The keys are to have a compliant credit policy that spells out the guaranty requirements and apply it CONSISTENTLY.

There should be no confusion over a REQUIRED guaranty for a closely held company, and any applicant "intent."

Return to Top
#170341 - 04/01/04 01:07 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

My loan officers are fussing about having to get this for every credit. If we have someone who is a long-time customers and comes in quite often they do not have them complete an application every time. They are wanting me to say that they wouldn't have to have a separate form completed for intent either. I'm not getting that feeling from reading these posts. So...if an application is not completed every time, we will still have to complete an intent form, correct?

This new change doesn't care if they are established customers or not. In fact, maybe a loan officer has been making a spouse sign for years. This is the spouse's chance to say "no".

Return to Top
#170342 - 04/01/04 01:08 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Correct, so I plagiarized (er borrowed) the words of the other BOLers and added to it. So, far this is my draft with only a short time to go.

Wonderful! That's how things get better. If you can stand on my shoulders and see further, go for it. Borrow away!

Return to Top
#170343 - 04/01/04 01:44 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Would anyone be willing to share a commercial loan worksheet that is "loan officer friendly"?

Mine is out in the tools section now if you'd like to look at the entire commercial app form.

Lois! Good job on some cloning! That's short, sweet and to the point...and a good CYA!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#170344 - 04/01/04 05:45 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone shared a commercial loan form to be used as "evidence of intent"? If so, how do I access it?

Return to Top
#170345 - 04/01/04 05:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
here is one you might look at. Also, if you'll go back several posts, LoisLane has a good one further up the page or previous page!

well, I don't know what I'm doing, but the link isn't working for me...here it is in "long hand"...www.bankersonline.com/tools/tools/html
Last edited by joker; 04/01/04 05:57 PM.
Return to Top
#170346 - 04/01/04 10:24 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, but I cannot get this link to work, nor will the longhand. I think the computers are just as confused about this issue as we are. thanks.

Return to Top
#170347 - 04/02/04 04:22 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
let's try it again! Hopefully, this one WILL work! Thanks to GreatBlue, btw!

Return to Top
#170348 - 04/02/04 04:39 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Thanks to GreatBlue, btw!

What did I do?

Return to Top
#170349 - 04/02/04 04:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks to GreatBlue, btw!

What did I do?

Oooops! I mean GreatRiver! Can you tell it's FRIDAY?

Return to Top
#170350 - 04/12/04 03:19 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm interested if anyone has considered the following question? Can one spouse sign the evidence of intent to apply for joint credit for another spouse under a valid Power of Attorney? It's an idea I've heard proposed for use primarily in connection with Ag lending. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
#170351 - 04/12/04 04:00 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I asked this basic question of the FDIC. My question was, can one spouse affirm the others intent to be joint. The answer was that you cannot assume they have a POA to do so. If they do have a POA that would facilitate borrowing, why not? Certainly it is valid for that.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#170352 - 04/13/04 02:54 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Opinions please, the following statement is contained on the PFS's that my commercial lenders are using and I feel this is NOT sufficient to comply with Thursdays' deadline:
If youa re applying for individual credit in your own name and are relying on your own income or assets and not the income and assets of another person as the basis of repayment of the credit requested, or if this statement relates to your guaranty of the indebtedness of other persons, firms or corporations, complete only sections, x,y and z. There is no mention of joint applicants, etc. Do I still need language?

Return to Top
#170353 - 04/13/04 03:09 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My bet is that you won't have a problem as it clearly states limitations for individual credit. You might run it by your regulator and type up their opinion on it.

Return to Top
#170354 - 04/13/04 03:15 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
Quote:

If youa re applying for individual credit in your own name and are relying on your own income or assets and not the income and assets of another person as the basis of repayment of the credit requested, or if this statement relates to your guaranty of the indebtedness of other persons, firms or corporations, complete only sections, x,y and z. There is no mention of joint applicants, etc. Do I still need language?

I'm not grasping the line of thinking here. Why are you documenting that the financial statement is not being completed jointly? What am I missing?

Return to Top
#170355 - 04/13/04 03:34 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Because I believe that a lender would use one form for a husband and wife to complete. So there's no verbiage on the form that states "We intend to apply for joint credit".

Return to Top
#170356 - 04/15/04 04:47 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The following is the ABA's stance on this issue. The memo was passed on to me by Nessa Feddis - an attorney with the ABA. She gave me permission to post it here.
-----------------------------------------------------------

On April 15, creditors must comply with changes made last year to Regulation B (Equal Credit Opportunity). Included in the amendments was clarification about proof of intent for joint applications. The Board was addressing concerns raised when a signor on a loan later asserts that although he or she signed the note, he or she never intended to apply, and thus the creditor violated Regulation B by requiring the signature of an additional party when the applicant was individually creditworthy.

There has been confusion about the meaning of the changes and incorrect assertions that the regulation now requires written applications for all joint applications and that the standard Freddie Mac/ Fannie Mae residential loan application (form 1003), properly completed and signed, is not sufficient to show intent to apply for joint credit. To clear up the confusion, bankers should be aware:

• There is no new requirement that loan applications be in writing (except where elsewhere required). This is clear in the preamble to the final regulations found at: http://federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/press/bcreg/2003/20030305/attachment.pdf.

• The Fannie Mae/ Freddie Mac residential loan application (form 1003) is sufficient in showing intent to apply jointly if properly completed and signed by both applicants.

• Intent to apply jointly must be evidenced at the time of application and should be documented in some fashion. That both parties signed the loan contract does not show intent to apply jointly.

• Intent to apply jointly may be shown through a written indication from the applicant, but this is not required. Procedures that document intent to apply jointly suffice. For example, a note to the file based on an oral joint application may be sufficient in appropriate circumstances.

• Creditors cannot presume that submission of joint financial information constitutes an application for joint credit.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Return to Top
#170357 - 04/15/04 12:27 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Nothing we all didn't know already Dave, right? I'm still stressed about my commercial lending area and their PFS.

Return to Top
#170358 - 04/15/04 12:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Terry Offline
Gold Star
Terry
Midwest
I definitely appreciate hearing the ABA's position because they do speak with authority. But I think this is one of those compliance issues where the big challenge is not in determining what the reg requires, but in determining a procedure that will meet those requirements. Flexibility is a double edged sword. We're all left to try to find something that will insure compliance but won't be overly burdensome and impractical for lenders and customers.

What's the ABA's basis for their position that the Fannie 1003 is adequate. Doesn't that conflict with what some of you have reported from the regulators?

I'm also still not sure what is necessary in a very common scenario where there are joint applicants (such as husband and wife) but only one comes into the bank to conduct the face to face application. Earlier discussions on this topic reported that at least some of the agencies will not accept one applicant making a statement on behalf of the other in a phone application. Isn't it the same problem in a face to face with only one of the joint applicants present?

Return to Top
#170359 - 04/15/04 01:42 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
I appreciate Dave's posting of the ABA's position. That I can live with. But what of the FDIC's position. They are our regulator. I will find out in mid-May, as one of my bank's is scheduled for a compliance exam. And believe it or not, the examiner said one of the things they will concentrate on is....drum roll....Reg B.

Return to Top
#170360 - 04/15/04 01:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info David! (when I tried the link it didn't work. Anyone know where we can find it on their site?) Thanks.

Return to Top
#170361 - 04/15/04 01:51 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
Try this: FRB Reg B

Return to Top
#170362 - 04/15/04 02:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Thanks for the info David! (when I tried the link it didn't work. Anyone know where we can find it on their site?) Thanks.

There is a "." at the end and it is read as a part of the URL, which it isn't. Try this for David's link.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#170363 - 04/15/04 02:51 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

I appreciate Dave's posting of the ABA's position. That I can live with. But what of the FDIC's position. They are our regulator.

I believe they are trying to get confirmation from the agencies on these points. Based on posts here, the FRB and OCC may agree. The FDIC doesn't seem to on all points and I have no idea about the OTS or credit unions.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z