Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#170264 - 03/17/04 03:15 PM intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was informed that the application we use for all real estates does not contain a space to document that the applicant intends to apply for joint credit, since Fannie Mae\Freddie Mac chose not to support the new requirement.
The last thing we want to do is add one more form to the application package just for this.

It sounds like the bank has to provide some sort of documentation of the applicants intent. Looking for suggestions on how others are addressing this. Reg B 202.7(d) (1)-3 is not mandatory till 4/15/04.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#170265 - 03/17/04 03:20 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We use an Authorization to Obtain Information form and just above the signatures line in all caps bold italic underline letters we added the following:

ALL PARTIES SIGNING THIS AUTHORIZATION ARE AFFIRMING THEIR INTENT TO APPLY FOR JOINT CREDIT. A SINGLE SIGNATURE IMPLIES INTENT FOR INDIVIDUAL CREDIT.

Return to Top
#170266 - 03/17/04 03:32 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
bean Offline
100 Club
Don:

If I may ask did you develop the authorization to obtain information form yourself, or is this a purchased form?

The reason I ask is I am also trying to figure out how to handle the 1003 application.

Thanks

Return to Top
#170267 - 03/17/04 03:55 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
tjbanker Offline
Gold Star
Bankers Systems does have a form for a supplement to the 1003 that the customer signs to be compliant with the joint applicant changes with Reg B.

Return to Top
#170268 - 03/17/04 04:27 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is is okay to create your own form for commercial lending purposes - where there is no formal written application in some cases?

Return to Top
#170269 - 03/17/04 04:47 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bankers has indicated that this form will be available for download by 4-15-2004.

Return to Top
#170270 - 03/17/04 05:08 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Yes you can create your own.

Bean, the form was in use when I came here 3 years ago. It does not appear to be a purchased form.

Return to Top
#170271 - 03/17/04 09:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Kahola Offline
Platinum Poster
Kahola
Scottsdale, AZ. 85255
I have looked at other threads discussing "intent to be a joint applicant" and have a question. For aps received via the internet do we need to contact each applicant by phone and ask them of their intent?

Return to Top
#170272 - 03/17/04 09:55 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We do not do internet applications, but you will have to somehow document their intent. I would suggest (if possible) modifying your internet app with radio buttons that indicate whether the app is individual or joint and make it a required field so they have to answer the question before they can submit the application.

Return to Top
#170273 - 03/17/04 09:58 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is this supplementary form really necessary for the 1003? This whole issue came about because of the use of financial statements instead of applications. I didn't think it was necessary to use any additional forms with the residential loan application.

Return to Top
#170274 - 03/17/04 10:06 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Is this supplementary form really necessary for the 1003?

IMO, this is an unknown at this time. I for one do not feel it is necessary because of reasons discussed in previous threads, and David Dickinson is one of the biggest proponents that a jointly signed "application" should suffice as intent. However, the Reg. does say intent must be shown at the time of application, and with the model forms indicating an initial or signature is needed to show intent and not knowing how the examiner are going to look at this I have chosen the conservative path to get the intent affirmed by signatures.

Return to Top
#170275 - 03/18/04 01:50 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

I have chosen the conservative path to get the intent affirmed by signatures.

and I have chosen the rebellious path and am holding firm to the "spirit and intent" of signautures to suffice on the application...HOWEVER!!! I am sticking with the FED's advice of making sure it's either in their own hand or evidenced as a phone app and spelled out by the LO.

And as I said earlier...I will defend this to the DEATH!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#170276 - 03/18/04 02:07 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, I'm sure hoping that I don't have to buy you flowers. If it comes to actually defending your position, let us know, I'm sure there are a few of us that would like to assist you in your arguments.

Return to Top
#170277 - 03/18/04 02:53 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
ForceFull1 Offline
Gold Star
ForceFull1
smalltown Iowa
The model application forms for Reg B include the revised 1003. Why would we need to add an extra form to our application packet with language to the effect of "I intend to apply jointly or individually" if the regulation itself uses the 1003 as its model for consumer real estate loans?? I would think if the regulators had a problem with the 1003, they would not have included this as a model form. Or, it would have been modified with the boxes to indicate joint or individual application. We're having this conflict internally at my institution right now, and I'd like to see what everyone else here thinks. Thanks!

(and I wonder why I'm going gray before 30!)

Return to Top
#170278 - 03/18/04 03:45 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

and I have chosen the rebellious path and am holding firm to the "spirit and intent" of signatures to suffice on the application...HOWEVER!!! I am sticking with the FED's advice of making sure it's either in their own hand or evidenced as a phone app and spelled out by the LO.

And as I said earlier...I will defend this to the DEATH!

I'm with you on this one. Below I have pasted a letter that I wrote to the Fed for clarification:
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am requesting a letter of interpretation to clarify Section 202.7(d)(1) of Regulation B. This section states, "A creditor shall not deem the submission of a joint financial statement or other evidence of jointly held assets as an application for joint credit." In reading the preamble to this change and from reading other information, (such as the FDIC’s Financial Institution Letter 6-2004), it appears the intent of this regulatory amendment is to clarify that a joint financial statement does not constitute an application. In other words, an attestation is not an application.

However, the commentary to this same section [202.7(d)(1)#3] states in the first sentence, "A person’s intent to be a joint applicant must be evidenced at the time of application." Many of our clients and members of the banking community are indicating confusion regarding the preceding sentence. They interpret it to mean that every time a promissory note contains more than one applicant, the bank will need to prove that each joint applicant intended to apply by showing evidence of some sort, such as the information contained on top of the model application forms.

I believe that the Federal Reserve is trying to address, simply, that an attestation is not an application. Therefore, when I read the first sentence of this commentary, I infer it to mean that if you have received a joint financial statement, then a person’s intent to be a joint applicant must be evidenced at the time of application. If this is not true, why then, did the Federal Reserve not simply require an application in all situations?

It is clear from the preamble that the Federal Reserve did not wish to require applications in all cases. While I believe it would be helpful to stop any potential arguments, is it required to have evidence any time there are joint applicants? For instance, if John Doe and Jane Smith apply jointly, but submit individual financial statements, does Section 202.7(d)(1) require evidence of both of them even though they did not submit a joint financial statement? Does the first sentence of the commentary (#3) stand alone? Is it required 100% of the time when there are joint applications or only when you have a joint financial statement?

Since the mandatory date for this amendment is April 15, 2004, it would be helpful to receive a reply as soon as possible, so that we can be clear and advise our clients accordingly.

Thank you for your time regarding this matter. I look forward to receiving your letter of clarification.

Sincerely,

David A. Dickinson,
President
When (if) I receive a reply, I will post it here as well.

Return to Top
#170279 - 03/18/04 04:09 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Good letter! Looking forward to the reply.

Return to Top
#170280 - 03/19/04 10:47 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Jane Gell from the FRB called yesterday while I was at the ABA Compliance School. I've tried several times, but I can't get in touch with her today. ARGH! However, I did get this responses from Nessa Feddis - Attorney from the ABA:

I agree with your analysis: it was only intended to clarify that filing a joint financial statement should not be presumed to be a joint application. The Reg does not require written applications, though that is one option.

Let me put a call into the Fed and I will get back to you.
----------------------------------------------------------

Return to Top
#170281 - 03/22/04 04:20 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
bcastle Offline
100 Club
Springfield, Illinois (Souther...
What is the consensus for residential real estate loans? Do we need to add an extra form in our application packet or a radio dial on internet application with language to the effect that " I intend to apply jointly or individually.."? Why would the regulators include the 1003 application in the model regulation if they had a problem with it? Please let me know what you are doing in your institution.

Return to Top
#170282 - 03/22/04 04:30 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
I plan to treat an application as an application. If it contains information about two (or more) people and is signed by those people, those people applied for joint credit. We use the 1003 and a consumer application. For commercial and agricultural credit, I am encouraging my banks to develop a form that briefly outlines the credit being extended and provides a statement for all to sign (borrowers, co-borrowers, co-signers, and guarantors) stating that they are applying for said credit.

Return to Top
#170283 - 03/22/04 05:56 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

What is the consensus for residential real estate loans?

What we think and what the regulators think may differ, regardless if we all thought we were right. I was told the 1003 is being revised. If this is the case, there must be an assumption somewhere that it isn't compliant. But there is a difference between an application and financial statements. This was clear until the model forms were revised, seemingly blurring any line of distinction here. They showed applications with the statement.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#170284 - 03/22/04 08:56 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
David, Have you heard anything yet from Jane?

Return to Top
#170285 - 03/22/04 09:50 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Elaine K. Sheehan Offline
100 Club
Elaine  K. Sheehan
Grand Rapids, MI
Andy, neither Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac have any plans to revise the URLA in the foreseeable future. It is unfortunate that what the FRB will tell you in a conversation is very different from the tone in its March 18th rule. This has caused a good deal of uncertainty.

Return to Top
#170286 - 03/22/04 10:05 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I've heard both. You, being a forms vendor will have had direct contact, I assume.

I hope the FRB is reading these posts and striving to provide some guidance ASAP. If this isn't done, yesterday, enforcement should be selective and directed only to the heart of the matter.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#170287 - 03/22/04 10:05 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Jack Holzknecht Offline

Gold Star
Louisville, KY
I discusssed this matter with a fed staff attorney on Thursday March 18th. There are no plans to issue Offical Staff Commentary on this matter in the near future. The indication was that something other than the signature on the application affirming the accuracy of the data is needed. Some other effort is necessary to indicate the evidence of intent to be a joint applicant.

Return to Top
#170288 - 03/22/04 10:09 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Jack, that is at least the most authoritative comment we've had. Thank you.

Based on your conversation, a 1003 should have a separate affirmation?

Return to Top
#170289 - 03/22/04 10:20 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Elaine K. Sheehan Offline
100 Club
Elaine  K. Sheehan
Grand Rapids, MI
I have confirmed this with both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac within this last week. I had informed them of the FRBs stance and again asked if they intended to revise the URLA. Their response is no.

Return to Top
#170290 - 03/23/04 08:38 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

David, Have you heard anything yet from Jane?

No not yet. Unfortunately, Jane was sick on Monday and today.

Return to Top
#170291 - 03/23/04 09:16 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
ZoeMac Offline
IL
While on the topic of intent, the official staff interpretation of 202.7(d)(1) states the term joint applicant refers to someone who applies contemporaneously with the applicant for shared or joint credit. It goes on to say that a person's intent to be a joint applicant must be evidenced at the time of application. Based on the language used in the interpretation, specifically the word "contemporaneously", I am of the opinion that if two individuals intend to apply for joint credit both individuals must be present at application and both must initial or sign showing evidence of their intention to be joint applicants. Is this correct, or could the bank accept an ap from a single applicant with the understandng that the co-applicant will come into the bank at a later time/date to sign?

Return to Top
#170292 - 03/24/04 01:34 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a similar question, will a (faxed) copy of the application with the signature of one of the co-applicant be acceptable.
The original application was signed only by one applicant however the note was signed by both (husband and wife)
The application should have been signed by both borrowers
however,only the husband signed the original, can I now correct this issue with a (faxed) signature on application from the wife.

Return to Top
#170293 - 03/24/04 02:54 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
IMHO, this would not be acceptable. If I were an examiner looking at the file, I would think you had one applicant, the husband; but had the wife sign the note and were now trying to make it look right by having the wife fax you a signed application. Surely this would not be the case but it is how it would look. The word contemporaneous means, "happening in the same period of time".

I do think you could have a single applicant sign and have the other applicant come in within a reasonable time to sign, but I would not process the loan and get both signatures on the note until the application was complete with both signatures showing intent to apply for joint credit.

Return to Top
#170294 - 03/24/04 05:51 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, I know I am beating a dead horse here but I am still on the fence & am wondering on which side I should "fall". Are you or are you not going to require the joint intent initials for guarantors? I spoke with someone at ABA a while back when this issue came about & he suggested to do so. I am leaning that way as "applicant" under Reg B is defined as including "any person who is or MAY BECOME contractually liable". However, my senior lenders want to see where in the Reg it says they have to do this (of course). That's where I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Return to Top
#170295 - 03/24/04 05:51 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have taken the stance that for commercial purpose loans, by two individuals, that our FS contains applicable verbage for intent. However, I recently heard that if we choose to use the FS, that a loan amount must be indicated. Has anyone else heard of this "requirement"?

Return to Top
#170296 - 03/24/04 05:54 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
Yes. It was explained to me that you must be able to "attach" the intent to the specific loan, by loan amount, note date, etc. Otherwise you may be tempted to use that one signature on several different extensions of credit.

Return to Top
#170297 - 03/24/04 06:19 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is happening here is that our current lawmakers have taken the low road to regulatory burden on our banking industry. We have been saddled with expanded HMDA, HOEPA, and now even our loan applications are not applications unless someone signs a seperate piece of paper declaring it so. What is happening here in our industry is happening all over our country. No one wants to accept responsibility for one's own action. I just cannot sit here and read this montage of rhetoric without ranting. "It is what it is", get over it. Regulators are afraid to state a position and the lawmakers are pandering to whatever is the hot issue of the day, which leaves us dead in the water in the middle of all this mess.

Does this mean that we need a seperate notice when the customer wants to open an account with a joint person?

What ever happened to good 'ol American common sense. Do we need a law for every aspect of our daily lives. Give me a break!!!

Return to Top
#170298 - 03/24/04 06:29 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And don't forget that if Banks were not illegally requiring the signature of non-applicant spouses we wouldn't have this mess either. This is not a "new" requirement, they just finally reduced it to writing. While I agree, the way they addressed it may be overkill, it is yet again the banking industry's own fault and we have shot ourselves in the foot once more.

Return to Top
#170299 - 03/24/04 06:33 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't understand why you would have a guarantor sign an intent to be a joint applicant. They are not a joint applicant.

Return to Top
#170300 - 03/24/04 07:01 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you are looking outside of the officers for guarantees of a closely held company, especially if there are spouses involved, it would be in your best interest to get a document acknowledging their intent to guarantee the loan. This situation is where this whole mess regarding "intent to become obilgated" (which would be a better term for what they are trying to accomplish) started to begin with.

Return to Top
#170301 - 03/24/04 07:09 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Nikita, CRCM Offline
100 Club
Nikita, CRCM
Richmond, VA, USA
After our Loan Committee reviews application from builders, we often request an additional guarantor other than from principal. Even though joint financials may have been submitted, we do not ask for spousal guarantor, we ask for additonal guarantor. 99.9% of the time, the spouse is "offered". We then request a statement/letter from that spouse agreeing to be the guarantor on the loan. Whenever, the spouse is offered, we ask for this statement.

Will this be enough to show intent to be a guarantor?

Return to Top
#170302 - 03/24/04 07:17 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would think that would cover it sufficiently.

Return to Top
#170303 - 03/24/04 07:54 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
You know...it's pretty asinine and amazing that we have had to spent SO much time on this one ambiguous little out of context issue! I'm afraid I might just punch somebody if they dare say we aren't showing proper intent down the road when this is actually looked at by examiners. They've offered SO MUCH help! AAARRRGGGHHHH!

BTW, I've decided to back down from my "do or die" stance and did bite the bullet and made a form today for use on our 1003 and HELOC loans due to the obvious controversy. I am STILL not budging on our MARK IV applications tho...enuf is enuf!
Last edited by joker; 03/24/04 09:34 PM.

Return to Top
#170304 - 03/24/04 08:51 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If you are looking outside of the officers for guarantees of a closely held company, especially if there are spouses involved, it would be in your best interest to get a document acknowledging their intent to guarantee the loan. This situation is where this whole mess regarding "intent to become obilgated" (which would be a better term for what they are trying to accomplish) started to begin with.

Randy: Thanks for your reply. I am talking, for example, ABC Corp. gets a loan. We have the four officers of ABC Corp. sign personal guarantees to back up the loan. Since Reg B defines an applicant as any person that may become liable, are they then an applicant & need to show intent?

Return to Top
#170305 - 03/24/04 09:00 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
IMHO, probably not. How do you like that answer - huh?

If you have a bank policy that defines which officer/ownership types the bank requires to personally guarantee loans to these types of organization, you should not need a statement. However, I usually suggest that during the application process, the corporate/ownership structure of the company be represented in some manner so the bank can determine who they would normally look towards for a guarantee. With that process in place, I would only look for intent statements from anyone that falls outside of your normal policies, which would include spouses. You shouldn't be making the request of intent from only non-officer/owner spouses, as then you would be treating them different than non-married guarantors that don't fit your normal policy.

And, as I said, MHO.

Return to Top
#170306 - 03/24/04 09:19 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the clarification. Boy, if this stupid rule isn't a case of you're da**ed if you do & your da**ed if you don't, then I don't know what is!

Return to Top
#170307 - 03/25/04 05:49 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Jane Gell from the FRB called yesterday while I was at the ABA Compliance School. I've tried several times, but I can't get in touch with her today. ARGH! However, I did get this responses from Nessa Feddis - Attorney from the ABA:

I agree with your analysis: it was only intended to clarify that filing a joint financial statement should not be presumed to be a joint application. The Reg does not require written applications, though that is one option.

Let me put a call into the Fed and I will get back to you.
----------------------------------------------------------

I'm very disappointed. I just talked to the Fed and they provided answers - but the wrong ones! Here's a summary of our conversation.

1. We do need evidence 100% of the time where there are joint applicants.

2. If all applicants sign an application, you have your evidence. Most likely the application states "application for credit", "Borrower/Co-borrower", etc. so this is evidence that they want to apply - even if the attestation above their signatures doesn't say "I wish to apply". The Evidence at the top of the model forms is not necessary - this was just a way to demonstrate the Evidence.

3. Evidence does not have to be signed by the applicants. For instance, if you have a phone application, the loan officer can simply put a note in the file stating that he/she took a joint application on this date for this much.

It was stressed that all the loan officer needs to do is show intent. The loan officer has great latitude in how to do that.

We'll see.

Return to Top
#170308 - 03/25/04 06:36 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

David, I'm confused by the fact that you said they gave the "wrong" answers. Aren't these answers in agreement with what you've been saying all along?...If they sign an application they are showing intent, therefore, the URLA is fine the way it is. Isn't that what they are saying?

Return to Top
#170309 - 03/25/04 07:21 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
David? I'm with anony...it's this what we have been taking a stance for??? It seems positive to me?!?

Return to Top
#170310 - 03/25/04 11:24 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Sorry for the confusion. I was just trying to be funny - they are wrong from what I WANTED to hear.

However, I really don't think the Fed is right in doing it this way. The whole intent was to say that an attestation is not an application, but when they wrote it, they grabbed a lot more. The Fed representative even agreed to this. If they wanted it this way, why didn't they just require a signed application every time. They are very careful not to say that they want applications.

The biggest problem is going to be when an examiner questions the loan officers evidence. Imagine a loan officer takes a phone application. The loan officer writes a note in the file that says "John & Jane applied jointly today for a $20,000 loan ....." The examiner could easily say that the loan officer made John (or Jane) sign and simply made up that note to cover him/herself.

Return to Top
#170311 - 03/26/04 12:30 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. I believe that banks will be able to establish solid procedures to substantiate this and in the long run, we'll be better off than if we had strict rules without flexibility.

You always run the risk of the rogue examiner, just as they run the risks of the rogue banker.

Return to Top
#170312 - 03/26/04 02:20 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
It's not really a case of the rogue examiner, Andy. Ever been to an FDIC school? Bring 60-100 examiners from across the nation, set them before nationally-recognized speakers that spice their discussions with "Banker Gone Wild", and then turn them loose on humanity. The worst is the White Collar Crimes seminar. Anyone can get caught up in the idea that, "by golly, I'll bet we got wunna them in our territory, an' Ima gonna find um!" If examiners don't have solid criteria, interpretations fall all over the board, and no examiner looks "good" if all of their reports show their banks are clean. I examined for 12 years and part of the criteria for advancement was whether you were in charge of enough "problem" bank exams. Sorry for the soap box act, but give me a solid rule to follow any day!

Return to Top
#170313 - 03/26/04 03:57 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
So, I'm still a little confused. David, did the Fed tell you that all applicants signatures on an application form meets the requirements of the reg? If that's the case - that helps me out a lot! If I don't have to require an extra acknowledgement along with 1003's - that will save lots of headaches.

Return to Top
#170314 - 03/26/04 10:33 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

So, I'm still a little confused. David, did the Fed tell you that all applicants signatures on an application form meets the requirements of the reg?

Yes. She said if you have a signed application, you have evidence that they wanted to apply.

Return to Top
#170315 - 03/29/04 02:59 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
ejommen Offline
On the banks of the Rio Grande
Not to beat a dead horse, but according to the instructions at the top of the 1003, the non-applicant spouse in a community property state is asked to fill in their information. In such case, the non-applicant would sign the application form certifying that the information is correct, but not applying for the loan. In such a case, it would seem that the notice would be necessary.
I am not saying that I like the idea, but that is what I see. Am I mis-reading something?

Return to Top
#170316 - 03/29/04 04:12 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Not to beat a dead horse, but according to the instructions at the top of the 1003, the non-applicant spouse in a community property state is asked to fill in their information. In such case, the non-applicant would sign the application form certifying that the information is correct, but not applying for the loan. In such a case, it would seem that the notice would be necessary.
I am not saying that I like the idea, but that is what I see. Am I mis-reading something?

Are you saying that a non-applying spouse would fill out a form entitled "Uniform Residential Loan Application" and would complete info under the Co-Borrower headings? They would also sign the Co-Borrower's Signature line, but they wouldn't be applying?

Return to Top
#170317 - 03/29/04 04:24 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I can understand the confusion, but in this case they are asking for the sole applicant to complete the co-borrower information on thier spouse under certain conditions. No where on the application does it indicate that the spouse has to complete the information or sign the form. For those banks in community property states this is going to be something to watch out for. Even if the spouse signs, IMHO if one of those two boxes are checked, you would need your i's dotted and t's crossed before getting a signature on the note.

Return to Top
#170318 - 03/29/04 04:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Terry Offline
Gold Star
Terry
Midwest
I called the Fed on Friday and spoke with Minh-Duc Le, one of the attorneys listed in the Federal Register notice for this issue. Her statements were similar to what David Dickinson reported above on 3/25/04, but not as conclusive.

She stated that the requirement was meant to be flexible and that it only requires a bank to have a way to clearly document who actually applied for credit. She said that we don't need a separately signed section on the application, or elsewhere, stating intent for joint/individual credit if the bank has a way to clearly document who actually applied for credit. She stopped short of saying that signatures at the bottom of a regular application would meet this requirement when the language with the signatures doesn't explicitly state that the signing party is actually applying for credit.

Similarly, I asked about acceptable practices to document intent for phone applications. In particular I asked if the lender can ask the question verbally and document the answer on the application or elsewhere in the file. She reiterated that the requiement is flexible and that each bank needs to develop procedures based on their own comfort level that they can show that they met the requirement. She added that a signature from the applicants would be best, but that other options would be acceptable. I'm also unsure about whether a signature from one of the joint applicants is sufficient, or if we need all joint applicants to document their own intent. I would have thought that we need something frome each joint applicant, but based on her answers to my questions, I wonder if it may be adequate to get a statement from one covering all joint applicants.

I also asked about how to document intent for people who are going to personally guarantee a business-purpose loan in situations were all guarantors don't meet face to face with the lender during the application phase. She said she'd need to look into it and get back with me.

Return to Top
#170319 - 03/29/04 05:29 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
To implement procedures for the joint intent to apply for business loans, I was looking for a form. I researched the past posts and did find one from David Dickson, but it appears to be more applicable to consumers than business requests. In the back of my mind, I'm picturing another form (that I've either seen or dreamed about). The form had one section for business applications (with an appropriate variety of categories to check based on type of applicants) and one for consumer credit that was similar to David D's form. I can't however find this Business/Consumer Intenet to apply form. Does anyone know how I can find it? I thought it was on these threads, but I have searched unsucessfully.

Return to Top
#170320 - 03/29/04 08:05 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
This whole thread has me completely confused, I don't know if I'm coming or going....

Return to Top
#170321 - 03/29/04 09:03 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
KrisH Offline
Gold Star
KrisH
Massachusetts
Quote:

I also asked about how to document intent for people who are going to personally guarantee a business-purpose loan in situations were all guarantors don't meet face to face with the lender during the application phase. She said she'd need to look into it and get back with me.

We had a meeting today to discuss this issue in whole, but this particular issue was an interesting one. We do a lot of construction lending where we're lending to the same entities over and over again, and very often may have two, three or four guarantors, yet only one person doing all the leg work. One of our lenders suggested the possibility of having a "blanket" form on file, in the credit file perhaps, where all guarantors state intent to the guarantors on all loans to X entity. For example, have all guarantors sign a form stating something to the effect of "We affirm that we intend to be joint applicants on any and all obligations given to XYZ Corporation." Can anyone think of any reason that method may not fly with the Feds?

The same lender also made the perfectly valid observation that if there's no guidance on this issue, no black and white answers, whether or not we get in trouble on this issue is going to depend on the individual interpretations of whatever examiner happens to show up for the audits.

Return to Top
#170322 - 03/29/04 09:27 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I don't believe the new "evidence" requirement of §202.7(d)(1) applies to guarantors. In the case described, the loan officer can require the guarantors of all directors, officers, partners and shareholders [see the Commentary to §202.7(d)(6)#1].

Also, the commentary to §202.7(d)(1)#2 states:
Joint applicant. The term “joint applicant” refers to someone who applies contemporaneously with the applicant for shared or joint credit. It does not refer to someone whose signature is required by the creditor as a condition for granting the credit requested.

I take this to mean that a guarantor is not an applicant subject to the "evidence" requirements.

Return to Top
#170323 - 03/29/04 10:01 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
KrisH Offline
Gold Star
KrisH
Massachusetts
I guess I'm confused then, because the definitions under Sec. 202.2 state that guarantors *are* applicants:

Quote:

(e) Applicant means any person who requests or who has received an extension of credit from a creditor, and includes any person who is or may become contractually liable regarding an extension of credit. For purposes of § 202.7(d), the term includes guarantors, sureties, endorsers, and similar parties.

It seems to me that if the Reg defines a guarantor as an "applicant" then they must be subject to the "joint applicant" rules? The commentary seems to directly contradict the Reg itself... (I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by that )

Return to Top
#170324 - 03/29/04 10:10 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think if you go back up this thread you will see that the guarantee issue has already been discussed regarding when and when not an intent form would be advisable.

Return to Top
#170325 - 03/30/04 01:05 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Terry, congrats on at least talking to someone. I never heard back from these folks.

Two things, while I am worried about the rogue examiners wanting "proof" I enjoy the flexibility, especially with those examiners looking at the spirit and intent.

Two, I believe to an extent we are making this more difficult than intended, bearing point 1 above in mind, and that is why they are saying no further guidance is required.

But as to the simplified replies you got, I'll bet some 35 years ago (almost 36) someone said, "hey, how about a simple truth in lending law so consumers can be more informed".

Return to Top
#170326 - 03/30/04 05:06 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
So, what's the concensus regarding business loans? Do we get a signed intent form only if the borrowers are individuals? Or does it apply to entities as well?

Return to Top
#170327 - 03/30/04 06:05 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Here's the latest update I have on the "evidence" saga. This is from Nessa Feddis, who is an attorney for the ABA:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 2:19 PM
To: Sczyrba, Meg
Subject: Re: FW: Evidence of Intent To Apply

I spoke to Jane Gell who agrees with us and does not believe there is any ambiguity. There is no requirement for a written application for joint accounts: banks can rely on procedures that show they obtained an application from both spouses. However, to protect the banks from Reg B claims, there has to be some sort of indication that both spouses have applied, not just signed the contract. This could be determined in a variety of ways, including a written application, but oral permission is acceptable if there are established procedures in place.

In some cases, a written application may be the only way, e.g., if a card marketer solicits a person, asks them if the applicant wants the spouse on the account, relies on the applicant's response only, the bank could be vulnerable if it turns out if the spouse did not want to be liable on the account. Could get tricky, for example, if the couple were about to separate.

Return to Top
#170328 - 03/30/04 06:11 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
KrisH Offline
Gold Star
KrisH
Massachusetts
Quote:

I think if you go back up this thread you will see that the guarantee issue has already been discussed regarding when and when not an intent form would be advisable.

Well, I did read the entire thread, unfortunately the guarantee issue hasn't really been fully answered really, outside of one group saying they'd get it and another saying they won't bother.

I know it's a gray area, which is why I think we'd rather err on the side of caution. I know that the reason for these rules is because of the spousal guarantee issues, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with picking and choosing who we're going to have sign an intent form, since the reg implies that *everyone* should, not just spouses.

We really just wanted to try and cut down on the difficulty of obtaining guarantor signatures on frequent borrowers, and wondered if a blanket authorization would satisfy the requirements of the reg; IMO it certainly complies with the "spirit" of the reg. But again, you never know how each examiner is going to interpret this issue.

Return to Top
#170329 - 03/30/04 06:42 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think the guarantee issue is the easiest to solve. Have a policy that says that specific owners or officers are expected to guarantee loans on closely held business and get an intent to guarantee from anyone outside of that group, including any spouses that may become involved.

Return to Top
#170330 - 03/31/04 06:45 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Terry Offline
Gold Star
Terry
Midwest
I'm beginning to warm up to Randy's idea. It makes perfect sense. However, from a practical matter, I'm concerned about having to rely on commercial lenders to remember when to get the form signed, especially in situations where a written application is not taken. I feel some safety in making it a one-size-fits-all procedure that they do all the time. If it's a standard daily practice I think it'll be more reliable.

The same goes for consumer-purpose loans. While the regulation only requires us to document intent for joint credit, we're taking the approach that if you always document intent then lenders never have to make a special effort to remember it just for joint applications. It also provides an affirmative statement of intent for every application so you don't have to assume it's an individual application when nothing is documented.

Return to Top
#170331 - 03/31/04 07:04 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Terry - no disagreement from me. Standardization is the key to consistency. I have been advocating using commercial loan application forms for 15 years to document applicants and guarantors, since the first spousal signature violation situation in which I was involved. However, is an intent to guarantee required in all cases? - I think not if you could successfully implement my suggested procedure. Good luck!

Return to Top
#170332 - 03/31/04 07:06 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Terry Offline
Gold Star
Terry
Midwest
I'm beginning to warm up to Randy's idea. It makes perfect sense. However, from a practical matter, I'm concerned about commercial lenders being relied on to remember when to get the form signed, expecially in situations where a written application is not taken. I feel some safety in making it a one-size-fits all procedure that they do all the time. If it's a standard daily practice I think it will be more reliable.

The same goes for consumer-purpose loans. While the regulation only requires us to document intent for joint credit, we're taking the approach that if you always document intent then lenders never have to make a special effort to remember it for joint applications. It also provides an affirmative statement for every application so you don't have to assume its an individual application when nothing is documented.

Return to Top
#170333 - 03/31/04 09:18 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Vander Offline
100 Club
Vander
Texas
Would anyone be willing to share a commercial loan worksheet that is "loan officer friendly"?

Return to Top
#170334 - 03/31/04 09:54 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Here's what I'm thinking about (a portion of this is from an idea I got from Joker and a part from David Dickson):

Commercial Loan Information Sheet
This form is required when a loan application is not used for a loan request.
Date_________
Name of Borrower or Entity _____________________________
Loan Purpose ___________________________________
Loan Amount $__________________
Co-Borrower(s) __________________________ _________________________
_________________________ _________________________
Guarantor(s) _________________________ _________________________
_________________________ _________________________

Please check one:
Individual
( ) I am applying for individual credit in my own name and I am relying on my own income and assets and not the income or assets of another person.
( ) I am applying for individual credit and I am relying on my income or assets, as well as income or assets from other sources.
( ) We are applying for joint credit; the names of the co-borrowers are listed above

Commercial:
( ) I am applying for credit in the Borrower/Entity name listed above. I am the only intended signer for this loan request.
( ) The individuals listed above as Co-Borrower(s) and/or Guarantor(s) are the intended signers for the loan request in the name of the Borrower or Entity listed above.

Signature________________________________

Note: This form is to be signed only by the individual(s) present when the initial loan request is made

Return to Top
#170335 - 03/31/04 10:01 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Vander Offline
100 Club
Vander
Texas
Thank you Lois! I noticed that you had posted an earlier request for this, but with no response.

Return to Top
#170336 - 03/31/04 10:08 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Correct, so I plagiarized (er borrowed) the words of the other BOLers and added to it. So, far this is my draft with only a short time to go.

Return to Top
#170337 - 03/31/04 10:21 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

After all this, I still do not see definite answers to all the questions. It appear banks have some fexibilty and must establish procedures/policies. Which is what I am going to do and THEN go on vacation. Something like this: We will use the Bankers System's Consumer Loan App which has the intent language at the top, will not have the intent laguage on the URLA or use a separate form at this time, and for commercial lending will have a separate form.

Return to Top
#170338 - 03/31/04 11:01 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My loan officers are fussing about having to get this for every credit. If we have someone who is a long-time customers and comes in quite often they do not have them complete an application every time. They are wanting me to say that they wouldn't have to have a separate form completed for intent either. I'm not getting that feeling from reading these posts. So...if an application is not completed every time, we will still have to complete an intent form, correct?

Return to Top
#170339 - 03/31/04 11:13 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Something like this: We will use the Bankers System's Consumer Loan App which has the intent language at the top, will not have the intent laguage on the URLA or use a separate form at this time, and for commercial lending will have a separate form.

Anon, is your commercial form similar to Lois'?

Return to Top
#170340 - 04/01/04 07:01 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

I think the guarantee issue is the easiest to solve. Have a policy that says that specific owners or officers are expected to guarantee loans on closely held business and get an intent to guarantee from anyone outside of that group, including any spouses that may become involved.

That's exactly what one bank did to get out of Reg B issues concerning guarantys. The next thing was to require the loan officers to get documentation as to who the principals are, for example if the borrower is a corporation, get documentation of who owns the corporation and in what percentage.

Side benefit to this was the emphasis on proper due dilligence. (Or the question I asked "How can you make a loan to a company if you're not really sure who owns it?")

With respect to the spouse "offering" his or her guaranty, be very, very careful about "taking" that guaranty. Depending on your state law, that guaranty may offer nothing (except potential headaches) if the spouse does not own sufficent separate property needed to support the credit. The last thing you need is an accusation that your "volunteer" guarantor form was co-erced!

Think of it as "Just Say No" to useless guarantys.

The keys are to have a compliant credit policy that spells out the guaranty requirements and apply it CONSISTENTLY.

There should be no confusion over a REQUIRED guaranty for a closely held company, and any applicant "intent."

Return to Top
#170341 - 04/01/04 01:07 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

My loan officers are fussing about having to get this for every credit. If we have someone who is a long-time customers and comes in quite often they do not have them complete an application every time. They are wanting me to say that they wouldn't have to have a separate form completed for intent either. I'm not getting that feeling from reading these posts. So...if an application is not completed every time, we will still have to complete an intent form, correct?

This new change doesn't care if they are established customers or not. In fact, maybe a loan officer has been making a spouse sign for years. This is the spouse's chance to say "no".

Return to Top
#170342 - 04/01/04 01:08 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Correct, so I plagiarized (er borrowed) the words of the other BOLers and added to it. So, far this is my draft with only a short time to go.

Wonderful! That's how things get better. If you can stand on my shoulders and see further, go for it. Borrow away!

Return to Top
#170343 - 04/01/04 01:44 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Would anyone be willing to share a commercial loan worksheet that is "loan officer friendly"?

Mine is out in the tools section now if you'd like to look at the entire commercial app form.

Lois! Good job on some cloning! That's short, sweet and to the point...and a good CYA!

Return to Top
#170344 - 04/01/04 05:45 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone shared a commercial loan form to be used as "evidence of intent"? If so, how do I access it?

Return to Top
#170345 - 04/01/04 05:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
here is one you might look at. Also, if you'll go back several posts, LoisLane has a good one further up the page or previous page!

well, I don't know what I'm doing, but the link isn't working for me...here it is in "long hand"...www.bankersonline.com/tools/tools/html
Last edited by joker; 04/01/04 05:57 PM.
Return to Top
#170346 - 04/01/04 10:24 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, but I cannot get this link to work, nor will the longhand. I think the computers are just as confused about this issue as we are. thanks.

Return to Top
#170347 - 04/02/04 04:22 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
let's try it again! Hopefully, this one WILL work! Thanks to GreatBlue, btw!

Return to Top
#170348 - 04/02/04 04:39 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Thanks to GreatBlue, btw!

What did I do?

Return to Top
#170349 - 04/02/04 04:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks to GreatBlue, btw!

What did I do?

Oooops! I mean GreatRiver! Can you tell it's FRIDAY?

Return to Top
#170350 - 04/12/04 03:19 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm interested if anyone has considered the following question? Can one spouse sign the evidence of intent to apply for joint credit for another spouse under a valid Power of Attorney? It's an idea I've heard proposed for use primarily in connection with Ag lending. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
#170351 - 04/12/04 04:00 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I asked this basic question of the FDIC. My question was, can one spouse affirm the others intent to be joint. The answer was that you cannot assume they have a POA to do so. If they do have a POA that would facilitate borrowing, why not? Certainly it is valid for that.

Return to Top
#170352 - 04/13/04 02:54 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Opinions please, the following statement is contained on the PFS's that my commercial lenders are using and I feel this is NOT sufficient to comply with Thursdays' deadline:
If youa re applying for individual credit in your own name and are relying on your own income or assets and not the income and assets of another person as the basis of repayment of the credit requested, or if this statement relates to your guaranty of the indebtedness of other persons, firms or corporations, complete only sections, x,y and z. There is no mention of joint applicants, etc. Do I still need language?

Return to Top
#170353 - 04/13/04 03:09 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My bet is that you won't have a problem as it clearly states limitations for individual credit. You might run it by your regulator and type up their opinion on it.

Return to Top
#170354 - 04/13/04 03:15 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
Quote:

If youa re applying for individual credit in your own name and are relying on your own income or assets and not the income and assets of another person as the basis of repayment of the credit requested, or if this statement relates to your guaranty of the indebtedness of other persons, firms or corporations, complete only sections, x,y and z. There is no mention of joint applicants, etc. Do I still need language?

I'm not grasping the line of thinking here. Why are you documenting that the financial statement is not being completed jointly? What am I missing?

Return to Top
#170355 - 04/13/04 03:34 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Because I believe that a lender would use one form for a husband and wife to complete. So there's no verbiage on the form that states "We intend to apply for joint credit".

Return to Top
#170356 - 04/15/04 04:47 AM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
The following is the ABA's stance on this issue. The memo was passed on to me by Nessa Feddis - an attorney with the ABA. She gave me permission to post it here.

On April 15, creditors must comply with changes made last year to Regulation B (Equal Credit Opportunity). Included in the amendments was clarification about proof of intent for joint applications. The Board was addressing concerns raised when a signor on a loan later asserts that although he or she signed the note, he or she never intended to apply, and thus the creditor violated Regulation B by requiring the signature of an additional party when the applicant was individually creditworthy.

There has been confusion about the meaning of the changes and incorrect assertions that the regulation now requires written applications for all joint applications and that the standard Freddie Mac/ Fannie Mae residential loan application (form 1003), properly completed and signed, is not sufficient to show intent to apply for joint credit. To clear up the confusion, bankers should be aware:

• There is no new requirement that loan applications be in writing (except where elsewhere required). This is clear in the preamble to the final regulations found at: http://federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/press/bcreg/2003/20030305/attachment.pdf.

• The Fannie Mae/ Freddie Mac residential loan application (form 1003) is sufficient in showing intent to apply jointly if properly completed and signed by both applicants.

• Intent to apply jointly must be evidenced at the time of application and should be documented in some fashion. That both parties signed the loan contract does not show intent to apply jointly.

• Intent to apply jointly may be shown through a written indication from the applicant, but this is not required. Procedures that document intent to apply jointly suffice. For example, a note to the file based on an oral joint application may be sufficient in appropriate circumstances.

• Creditors cannot presume that submission of joint financial information constitutes an application for joint credit.

Return to Top
#170357 - 04/15/04 12:27 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Nothing we all didn't know already Dave, right? I'm still stressed about my commercial lending area and their PFS.

Return to Top
#170358 - 04/15/04 12:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Terry Offline
Gold Star
Terry
Midwest
I definitely appreciate hearing the ABA's position because they do speak with authority. But I think this is one of those compliance issues where the big challenge is not in determining what the reg requires, but in determining a procedure that will meet those requirements. Flexibility is a double edged sword. We're all left to try to find something that will insure compliance but won't be overly burdensome and impractical for lenders and customers.

What's the ABA's basis for their position that the Fannie 1003 is adequate. Doesn't that conflict with what some of you have reported from the regulators?

I'm also still not sure what is necessary in a very common scenario where there are joint applicants (such as husband and wife) but only one comes into the bank to conduct the face to face application. Earlier discussions on this topic reported that at least some of the agencies will not accept one applicant making a statement on behalf of the other in a phone application. Isn't it the same problem in a face to face with only one of the joint applicants present?

Return to Top
#170359 - 04/15/04 01:42 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
I appreciate Dave's posting of the ABA's position. That I can live with. But what of the FDIC's position. They are our regulator. I will find out in mid-May, as one of my bank's is scheduled for a compliance exam. And believe it or not, the examiner said one of the things they will concentrate on is....drum roll....Reg B.

Return to Top
#170360 - 04/15/04 01:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info David! (when I tried the link it didn't work. Anyone know where we can find it on their site?) Thanks.

Return to Top
#170361 - 04/15/04 01:51 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
Try this: FRB Reg B

Return to Top
#170362 - 04/15/04 02:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Thanks for the info David! (when I tried the link it didn't work. Anyone know where we can find it on their site?) Thanks.

There is a "." at the end and it is read as a part of the URL, which it isn't. Try this for David's link.

Return to Top
#170363 - 04/15/04 02:51 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

I appreciate Dave's posting of the ABA's position. That I can live with. But what of the FDIC's position. They are our regulator.

I believe they are trying to get confirmation from the agencies on these points. Based on posts here, the FRB and OCC may agree. The FDIC doesn't seem to on all points and I have no idea about the OTS or credit unions.

Return to Top
#170364 - 04/15/04 04:10 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
With all that said...what do you recommend we do about the 1003? We are examined by the FDIC. My thoughts are to be safe and have the intention form completed along with the 1003. Of course, nobody in the lending department here is happy about another form to be signed. (Paperwork Reduction Act???)

Return to Top
#170365 - 04/15/04 05:38 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for posting the ABA's memo. I assume that the 3rd bullet ("Intent to apply jointly must be evidenced at the time of application and should be documented in some fashion...")indicates that if the applicants complete an application form that has separate labeled sections and signature lines for both the "applicant" and "co-applicant", then intent to apply jointly would be satisfactorily evidenced. In other words, we shouldn't have to revise our forms (using this example) to include special "intent" language, because intent is implied, right??

Return to Top
#170366 - 04/15/04 06:13 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
I posted this information already, but probably in a different thread. A lead examiner at the FDIC in San Francisco said that signatures below a paragraph attesting to the correctness of the information would not be sufficient. He stated that "intent" had to be documented for joint applicants.

I modified my forms to match the model forms. The lead examiner said that if I do this - I have a SAFE HARBOR.

Like many of you, I am fed up with this whole thing. I am going to follow the FDICs advice and sleep tonight.

Return to Top
#170367 - 04/15/04 08:30 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Dolly,

But that's the problem - a "lead" examiner is not allowed to interpret the law and should not be making the call on what is acceptable or not. He is in affect writing new regulations - which is dead wrong. You should not feel that you have to modify bank polily to meet the whims of your specific examiner.

You have to develop a policy within your organization that complies with the intent of the law and regulation and then they have to prove that your method doesn't comply. They can't make this up as they go. If you determine that your policy is that intent of an applicant is determined by the applicant completing and signing the application form - then how can they tell you no?? Only the applicant can challenge that in court - it is really not up to the regulators to make that call.

There has been no change in the regulation - so how can a "lead" examiner suddenly say that a "new form" is required??? Have you been in violation of Reg B all this time??? These guys need to chill.

Return to Top
#170368 - 04/15/04 08:34 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Anonymous
Unregistered

The SAFE HARBOR aside, my point is that they had to consciously complete the information in the "co-applicant" section of the application, and consciously sign the "co-applicant" signature line of the application. Even if the attestation above the signature line only addresses accuracy and "correctness", it seems to me that the co-applicant's intent to apply jointly is evidenced by the fact that they decided to fill out and sign a credit application in the first place.

I believe this is the point David Dickinson has been trying to make all along, and the ABA memo supports it.

Return to Top
#170369 - 04/15/04 08:48 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Great River Offline
Iowa
Quote:

they have to prove that your method doesn't comply.

Sorry, Randy. You're speaking from a higher plain. We only take interpretation issues so far and then we figure out a way to do what they say. Banging your head against the wall only gives you a headache. Our profit motive says you don't waste money fighting city hall.

Return to Top
#170370 - 04/15/04 08:56 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
The lead examiner told me that he showed my forms to their attorneys. I had added "My signature below is evidence of my intent to apply for a loan" above the Applicant and Co-Applicant signature lines on my forms.

This was his response:

"I reviewed your attached forms and your proposed wording above the signature line. Both the FDIC and the FED share the opinion that two signatures at the bottom of a uniform residential loan application, or any other application THAT HAS NOT BEEN MODIFIED TO SPECIFICALLY DOCUMENT AN INTENTION TO BE JOINT APPLICANTS, will not be considered documentation of an intention to be joint applicants. At this point you have several options, you can use your current application and have both applicants initial the joint applicant with spouse box at the top of the application to show intent, or you can use a separate form and have both applicants sign it for each application you treat as a joint application. Having a separate form for joint applicants to show intent should address your concern of intent being overlooked by applicants."

I changed my forms, as he said the application had to be MODIFIED TO SPECIFICALLY DOCUMENT AN INTENTION TO BE JOINT APPLICANTS. I think that is the safest thing to do. If the agencies issue guidance later that is different, I can always change my forms. Easy for me to do as they are Adobe Acrobat forms posted on our Intranet.

Return to Top
#170371 - 05/04/04 05:13 PM Re: intent to be joint applicant
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Here's an update I got from Nessa Feddis (attorney with the ABA). I asked her for permission to use her memo at the ABA Conference. Here is her response:

Please do. Also, you can add that we had discussions with Tim Berniston at the FDIC who also agrees with our position. His only point was that if a bank has had some "issues" e.g complaints, it might be vulnerable if it only relies on the 1003 without additional language. That, I believe, would be the unusual case. You can also remind them that the Freddie Mac form still is in the model form appendix — unchanged. Accordingly, it has safe harbor.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z