Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#172112 - 03/22/04 08:09 PM FinCEN SAR Software Version 5.1
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Have any of you downloaded this software for processing SARs? The directions on the website state that you have to apply for a Transmittal Code Number from the Detroit Processing Center before you install the software.

I have a couple of questions, first - do you have to call and obtain this information or do you have to print and fax the "Application for Magnetic Media Reporting of Suspicious Activity Reports"? My next question is - if you have to file through a diskette where is the benefit? To me it is easier to type the report, print, and mail it.

I hope someone can shed some light on this. Has anyone heard if FinCEN ever intends to create a secure site where we can file reports via the internet and do away with diskettes and paper?

Here is the site in case anyone else is interested: FinCEN

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#172113 - 03/22/04 08:52 PM Re: FinCEN SAR Software Version 5.1
BooBoo Offline
BooBoo
KC, MO
Print and fax the form to get the code assigned to your bank. We use the software to prepare the SAR, but print and mail it rather than sending the diskette (we only do about 6-8 SARs a year).

Return to Top
#172114 - 03/22/04 08:56 PM Re: FinCEN SAR Software Version 5.1
Just Jean Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
We send by diskette. I've only been in this department three years. The code was here when I took over this job. We only send 6-8 per year. Things happen in multiples so I usually have two to send at a time.

Return to Top
#172115 - 03/22/04 09:18 PM Re: FinCEN SAR Software Version 5.1
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

We send by diskette. I've only been in this department three years. The code was here when I took over this job. We only send 6-8 per year. Things happen in multiples so I usually have two to send at a time.

Do you send a diskette or print and mail too?

Return to Top
#172116 - 03/23/04 02:10 PM Re: FinCEN SAR Software Version 5.1
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
We use the software to enter our SAR information. We print a file copy of the SAR, but submit to FinCEN via diskette. The software provides a convenient template for creating the SAR itself; we believe that sending the diskette provides for speedier entry of the data into the SAR database, with no transcription errors (other than those we might have made at our end).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z