Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1775457 - 01/11/13 06:37 PM Online loan application requesting online bank pw
bluearrow Offline
New Poster
Florida
I have just come across an online loan company that is using applicants online banking as part of the approval process. Within the application, one is directed to the bank's website and asked to enter login name and password.
The loan company reviews the deposits and transaction history.
Has anyone else seen this before with online loan apps?
Thanks

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1775531 - 01/11/13 07:43 PM Re: Online loan application requesting online bank pw bluearrow
LorBeth Offline
TX
This absolutely sounds like a scam - at the least very shady. Any legit loan company would check credit but would NOT look at the customer's deposit accounts.

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know. -- Mark Twain

Return to Top
#1775618 - 01/11/13 09:14 PM Re: Online loan application requesting online bank pw bluearrow
bluearrow Offline
New Poster
Florida
Well, actually this specific one is being marketed by Jackson Hewitt.
www.billfloat.com/jh
Jackson Hewitt's Facebook FAQ's has far more details if you google SmartLine Line of Credit Jackson Hewitt

Return to Top
#1777814 - 01/18/13 02:10 PM Re: Online loan application requesting online bank pw bluearrow
bluearrow Offline
New Poster
Florida
Maybe this is not the place for a fraud discussion. Is anyone aware of another forum for fraud analysts?
Thanks!

Return to Top
#1777815 - 01/18/13 02:13 PM Re: Online loan application requesting online bank pw bluearrow
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This is as good a place as any, but either no one really has much to add or no one has noticed. There was a recent discussion regarding a bank that was setting up an on-line banking product that did something similar. Personally, I think it is a real dangerous practice for these companies. Unless they have lockdown type security on this information, I think it opens them to substantial liability.

Return to Top
#1777912 - 01/18/13 04:00 PM Re: Online loan application requesting online bank pw bluearrow
bluearrow Offline
New Poster
Florida
I appreciate the response. We treat online banking passwords very seriously as most probably do. This set off alarms with us and was hoping others may have experienced it. There is so much possible risk with a breach or malware on Jackson Hewitt's computers. Obviously, that could lead to B2B transfers or the appearance of secure communications with the bank.
Also, first time I have seen loans decisioned in this manner. Hope this helps someone.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z