Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#178266 - 04/09/04 01:04 PM Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Ugh..it's too early on a Friday am! Okay, I know I've seen this discussed somewhere, but have no idea how it might have been titled, so...

If you have a person buying a home for his mother-in-law...how would you disclose it. I can't make it "fit" business purpose, yet it doesn't fit primary or secondary loan requirements eithier...it's being repaid from personal income.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#178267 - 04/09/04 01:19 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It's a non-primary residence personal real estate loan. Disclosures would be the same as any other consumer real estate purchase loan.

Return to Top
#178268 - 04/09/04 04:31 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I think that this is treated the same as a rental house. This is not the borrower's primary dwelling and it not a 2nd home/vacation home for the borrower. Whether or not the borrower charges rent is not a factor.
(I'm assuming that the title of the home will be in the name of your borrower).

Return to Top
#178269 - 04/09/04 05:49 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
Tom Fridrich Offline
100 Club
Tom Fridrich
Omaha, NE
I think this one is a consumer purpose loan too. While it is not a vacation home, I think it would be considered his second home, especially if it is titled in the borrower's name. This just seems to be the clear and safer way to go. How about that Dave, the student questioning the teacher (I used to work with Dave)?

Return to Top
#178270 - 04/09/04 06:40 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

I think that this is treated the same as a rental house. This is not the borrower's primary dwelling and it not a 2nd home/vacation home for the borrower. Whether or not the borrower charges rent is not a factor.
(I'm assuming that the title of the home will be in the name of your borrower).

I believe as the others...it falls under the same disclosure requirements as a second home would...It's not a business loan(rental) and it's personal purpose as well as being paid from personal income, yet it does not fall under the definition of a residential mortgage transaction, so you don't have an early TIL, but you have a GFE, a HUD-1 and a final TIL, and of course flood, HMDA, etc.

Return to Top
#178271 - 04/09/04 09:21 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I stand with my view (not yet Tom, not yet).

I requested a written reply from the FRB one time (and got it ) about a home purchase in a college town. The reason was the parent's wanted to buy a house for their daughter while she was in college. She was not on the Title. The FRB said this was a rental house, even if the parent's don't charge rent. It is not their house (either primary or secondary). Therefore, it must be a rental - a non-owner occupied house.

Tom said:
"I think it would be considered his second home, especially if it is titled in the borrower's name."
Aren't all rental houses titled in the borrower's name? If you put the resident's name on it, this would definitely make it a consumer loan. My point exactly, is that it IS in the owner's name, not the person who lives there.

This is a good one. Bottom line, you may want to provide consumer disclosures just to avoid this type of argument with your examiners. Depends on how much you like to fight.

Return to Top
#178272 - 04/09/04 11:40 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

If you have a person buying a home for his mother-in-law...how would you disclose it.

If she currently lives with him, quickly!

I'm with David. Rental isn't defined but he doesn't live there and doesn't plan to occupy it, who said rental has to mean for profit or money. Perhaps it is just peace of mind. He wants her to have a safe place to live (perhaps outside his family home) and that is payment enough.

Seriously, that would meet with the spirit and intent of the Reg.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#178273 - 04/10/04 05:26 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I agree - anytime someone buys a dwelling for someone elseto live in, it's a non-owner occupied rental.

Just don't forget about HMDA reporting and flood hazard verification.

Return to Top
#178274 - 04/12/04 02:33 PM Re: Non-owner/Not Business RE loan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Well, I can see it from all sides, and as much as I'd like to make it rental (and I sure don't mind standing up to regulators ) I went with the "Second home and OTHER consumer" category. Fewer disclosures, but disclosed none-the-less. If something ever happens to MIL...perhaps then it would be investment either re-sale or rental, however for now, he's paying it out of his personal income, so I'm using "other" consumer based on purpose.

We are in a university town and have seen the parents buy for student condo loans...those are somewhat more justifiable because they are looking at a short-term deal and then a turn-around investment...those are usually classified as investment properties, but this one isn't...therefore my reasoning.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z