Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1807011 - 04/22/13 06:55 PM Consumer purpose loan to business
Vander Offline
100 Club
Vander
Texas
I have an odd situation...Dad is buying daughter a house, but wants to finance in the name of his company. It's consumer purpose, but since the credit is not being extended to a "consumer" is it exempt from Reg Z?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1807015 - 04/22/13 06:57 PM Re: Consumer purpose loan to business Vander
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Will there be a lease and will she pay rent to the company? Will the company legitimately gain tax deductions (depreciation, interest, etc.) If there are no aspects of a business purpose loan (businesses really can't legitimately go around buying houses for people without a business purpose and accounting for it as such with IRS) then it is consumer purpose.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1807021 - 04/22/13 07:08 PM Re: Consumer purpose loan to business Vander
Vander Offline
100 Club
Vander
Texas
I have no arguments that it is consumer purpose. In looking at Reg Z under exemptions it lists "An extension of credit to someone other than a natural person, including credit to a government agency or instrumentality." I'm trying to figure out if this exemption applies to this situation. Thanks again for any help.

Return to Top
#1807025 - 04/22/13 07:10 PM Re: Consumer purpose loan to business Vander

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Depending upon the structure of the business (is it a legal entity) the loan would be exempt from Z but not RESPA.

If a loan does not legally qualify as business purpose for that business, I for one have a real problem with helping customers get around tax issues. Business transactions are supposed to be for the benefit of the business.

Return to Top
#1807027 - 04/22/13 07:12 PM Re: Consumer purpose loan to business Vander
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If the company is a real stand alone entity, then yes it would be exempt from Reg. Z, but not RESPA. However, credit risk is a whole other issue unless the business is profitable and I too would be curious how they are going to account for this asset and liability.

Return to Top
#1807114 - 04/22/13 09:17 PM Re: Consumer purpose loan to business Vander
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
If this deal has already closed, hope for the best. Otherwise, talk to dad again and ask enough questions to make you comfortable that this is not a tax evasion scheme or something else the bank has no business facilitating. There could be a legitimate explanation--for example, daughter is qualified to run the business and some number of company-paid years in the house is a signing bonus.

Return to Top
#1807116 - 04/22/13 09:28 PM Re: Consumer purpose loan to business Richard Insley

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: Richard Insley
If this deal has already closed, hope for the best. Otherwise, talk to dad again and ask enough questions to make you comfortable that this is not a tax evasion scheme or something else the bank has no business facilitating. There could be a legitimate explanation--for example, daughter is qualified to run the business and some number of company-paid years in the house is a signing bonus.

Exactly, a true business purpose. I find that many banks think this is solely a Reg Z/RESPA issue. It goes well beyond that into much more serious matters. A business needs a business purpose to borrow.

Return to Top
#1809003 - 04/29/13 05:51 PM Re: Consumer purpose loan to business Vander
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
We had found that our commercial lenders were doing any kind of loan their customers requested through them because they are business customers. We put a stop to that. If it is not a business purpose loan, they can't do it through the commercial dept. and they are politely handed over to the consumer lending dept.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z