Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#181913 - 04/20/04 08:14 PM Adverse Action and Privacy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some of the lenders at my bank are having a really hard time with this change to Reg B regarding disclosing specific reasons to the primary applicant as to why the co-applicant/co-signer doesn't qualify (del. credit, bankruptcy etc.). It seems to be especially hard to understand with a co-signer situation. They don't believe that we should tell the primary applicant about the co-signer's bad credit history. It is my understanding that we will be in violation of Reg B if we use statements on the primary applicant's AAN such as "co-signer doesn't qualify". Is anyone else getting any resistance? I think we've harped on privacy so long that they just don't think this could be true.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#181914 - 04/20/04 08:23 PM Re: Adverse Action and Privacy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Applicants lose the "privilege of privacy" between them when the apply jointly. You still have an FCRA issue, but not a privacy concern.

Return to Top
#181915 - 04/20/04 08:26 PM Re: Adverse Action and Privacy
Anonymous
Unregistered

And a co-signer would also lose their privacy, correct? Even though they are not a co-applicant?

Return to Top
#181916 - 04/20/04 08:26 PM Re: Adverse Action and Privacy
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Is anyone else getting any resistance?

Actually our lenders like the idea.

Return to Top
#181917 - 04/20/04 08:27 PM Re: Adverse Action and Privacy
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

And a co-signer would also lose their privacy, correct? Even though they are not a co-applicant?

Correct.

Return to Top
#181918 - 04/20/04 08:33 PM Re: Adverse Action and Privacy
KrisH Offline
Gold Star
KrisH
Massachusetts
Quote:

Applicants lose the "privilege of privacy" between them when the apply jointly.

This is basically what I've heard as well, and the regulators have said as much. It should be understood when you are a coborrower *or* cosigner on a loan that certain financial information may be shared. I know I personally wouldn't cosign a loan for someone that I didn't feel comfortable with knowing my financial information in the first place.

Having said that, I think there's a very clear line between saying "You're being denied because of your co-borrower's bad credit" and saying "You're being denied because your co-borrower has a charge off, a foreclosure and a bankruptcy". I'm not aware that we have to be *that* specific... and I don't believe we should be.

Return to Top
#181919 - 04/20/04 09:21 PM Re: Adverse Action and Privacy
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you wouldn't give specific reasons like bankruptcy, chargeoff etc, you would just say "bad credit" or "delinquent credit"?? I have told them they have to be specific and use the reasons on the AAN.

Return to Top
#181920 - 04/20/04 10:45 PM Re: Adverse Action and Privacy
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
You must provide specific reasons for denial.

This is NOT a privacy issue. Page 13151 of the Federal Register, dated 3/18/03 makes it very clear:

Many commenters were concerned about the co-applicant’s or guarantor’s privacy when the reasons for adverse action pertaining to creditworthiness are given to the primary applicant. When a person agrees to be a co-applicant,
guarantor, or similar party, however, there is (or should be) a general understanding that information will be shared. Accordingly, the rule has been adopted as proposed.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z