Click to return to BOL home page
Banker Store Read A Reg BOL Insiders Career Connect Learning Connect Bankers Information Network

October 29
Documenting an Applicant's Intent to be a Joint Applicant;
David Dickinson

November 4
Issues with Deceased Customers;
Mary Beth Guard and John Burnett

November 5
Vault Burglaries, Floods, Fires & Other Disasters;
Dave McGuinn

November 6
MLO v LO - Who Has to Do What?;
Jack Holzknecht and Mary Beth Guard

November 13
Domestic Violence & Workplace Violence: There Is A Link;
Shelly Collins and Dana Turner

November 18
Understanding USPAP and Regulatory Guidelines for Appraisal and Evaluation Compliance Reviews;
Eric Collinsworth

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1822082 - 06/10/13 03:10 PM Bitcoin Impression?
InterestedParty Offline
New Poster

Loc: Northern California
I know there are some topics on Bitcoin but I wanted to ask anyone willing to participate what they thought about Bitcoin?

What are your concerns and do you think those concerns can be addressed?

Here is why I am interested. Years ago I helped start a small payments company that is now relatively ubiquitous and almost part of the internet culture. I think...

During those early crazy days, I remember going to industry conferences and hearing hushed whispers about us when we'd walk through the crowd. All sorts of rumors prevailed and one of my responsibilities was to help allay the fears of bankers and law enforcement. And ultimately I think we did a good job and built a truly world class system for investigations and AML/BSA/OFAC monitoring.

I find myself in a similar situation now and I am excited about the challenge. I think we are building a Bitcoin group that will hopefully knock the socks off the industry and will more importantly bring about the same trust and cooperation I experienced back in 1999-2002 in my previous company's "early days".

So please let me hear it what is it about Bitcoin that has everyone so concerned. So is obvious but I want to see for myself. I have already started working with federal law enforcement on some areas relating to this and know their concerns.

So let's chew the fat (just not my fat pls):)

John

BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC
#1822180 - 06/10/13 06:21 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
rlcarey Offline
10K Club

Loc: Galveston, TX
Well, considering I have been a banker my whole life and I absolutely have no idea what a bitcoin is, except something that is digitally created and it supposedly has some worth, I guess I am not sure of any need to create an unknown and totally unregulated form of exchange. Maybe I am just old, but what is wrong with old fashion currency and credit cards unless you believe the conspiracy theorists regarding the fallacy of the current economic systems. They say they can't be counterfeited. I find that just a little beyond believe as everything is scammed sooner or later.

Personally, if the world comes to an end, I think I will stay with my gold coins over digital money when the electricity goes out.

#1822353 - 06/11/13 11:06 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
devsfan Online
Diamond Poster

Loc: NYC
I am with Randy on this one.

#1822364 - 06/11/13 11:22 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
edAudit Offline
Power Poster

Loc: You are here
I would also think that since the regulators are not onboard with Bitcoms the downside of dealing with the companies using/selling/brokering is much greater than any possible upside (fees).

CAMS

#1822682 - 06/12/13 09:12 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Loc: Moron, Mongolia
and banks who provide a channel for bitcoin-type cashing in will be under much greater scrutiny in the near future...

#1823074 - 06/12/13 05:29 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
el guapo Offline
100 Club

With the ubiquity of ATM/Debit cards I am sure the day will come when the population at large will be open to a completely electronic form of currency (or currency transaction) but it will at the very least have to transition into an electronic form of our current currency first since the perceived value is already there. I don't think the general public is going to leap from the dollar to some newly created electronic currency which will require them to buy into it's mostly esoteric value or worth. Of course that brings us to how we were led to accept the value or worth of the paper and coin we use today, so there is a precedent for that kind of leap occurring with the right conditions and timing. I think this is where the much bigger challenge will be than the regulatory issues that ours and various governments may want answered.

#1823833 - 06/14/13 03:40 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: el guapo]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

Loc: Southeast
Here's a good story on Bitcoins for those that might be interested.

Bitcoins

#1838340 - 07/31/13 10:16 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
Kathleen B Offline

10K Club

#1838744 - 08/01/13 07:20 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: Kathleen B]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

This is an alert from the SEC
Ponzi Schemes and Virtual Currencies

#1839982 - 08/06/13 04:24 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
Waterfall Offline

Loc: PA
Interested Party, the question I have is how do we write rules or scenarios for our AML software to identify anyone that may be doing suspicious activity via Bitcoin or other virtual currency? With your insights, this is what BSA Officers need from you in order to cover our responsiblities.

#1841503 - 08/12/13 10:36 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
MSB Consultant Offline
New Poster

Loc: Atlanta, GA
For anyone who would like more knowledge on virtual currencies that is not from an all doom & gloom perspective, I recommend www.Bitcoinmagazine.com. When you are on the site, you can sign up for a free Bitcoin Guide to be emailed to you by signing up in the box that is part way down on the right side of the webpage.

#1841519 - 08/12/13 11:07 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
edAudit Offline
Power Poster

More from our friends at NYS DFS

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-new-york-regulator-virtual-currencies-20130812,0,7377780.story

CAMS

#1841532 - 08/12/13 11:29 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
YHWB Offline
Platinum Poster

Loc: Out there
And there's this concerning security...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23664743

#1841883 - 08/12/13 08:33 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: YHWB]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

#1842895 - 08/15/13 01:57 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: Retread]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

#1843171 - 08/16/13 11:34 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
loyo111 Offline

Loc: Miami
We have created custom alerts with keyword searches on the different variations out there to review clients that are buying into the currency.

#1843449 - 08/16/13 07:59 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: loyo111]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

In case anybody is interested.

Bitcoin Survey

#1846418 - 08/27/13 04:01 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: Retread]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

#1846573 - 08/28/13 09:59 AM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: Retread]
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club

#1848867 - 09/04/13 06:44 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: Xian Ngyuen]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

Soon you may be able to buy your favorite politician with Bitcoins.

Buy A Politician With Bitcoins

Request For Opinion From FEC

#1853532 - 09/18/13 04:15 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: Retread]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

Here's more on Bitcoins.

Local Bankers Note Growth of Bitcoins

#1857785 - 10/02/13 02:42 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
edAudit Offline
Power Poster

Website owner Ross William Ulbricht -- known as “Dread Pirate Roberts” -- was arrested at a library in San Francisco Tuesday by the FBI. He is accused of setting up a special network that would help drug dealers avoid detection by hiding IP addresses. Silk Road also used the internet currency known as “Bitcoins” to help facilitate the illegal deals, prosecutors said.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/...-hire-plot?lite

CAMS

#1857788 - 10/02/13 02:47 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: edAudit]
Retread Offline
Diamond Poster

Here is the complaint.

Silk Road Complaint

#1860144 - 10/09/13 04:55 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
BankingNut Offline

One thing I have noticed from reading about Bitcoin transactions is that they are anonymous. I would be curious how these transactions would be legal.

I am not being an alarmist but I concerned that those who have come up with the concept do not realize that there are laws that regulate transactions. Without knowing how they work I am purely speculating, but it does not sound like those who have created the product are very knowledgeable about payment systems and their laws.

#1860149 - 10/09/13 05:01 PM Re: Bitcoin Impression? [Re: InterestedParty]
BankingNut Offline

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/category/bitcoin-newbies/

This is a good site to give everyone some background on what bitcoins are and how they work. These seem no different than credit cards with your bank. It seems as if you need to find it with real money from a bank account. Then it appears that bitcoiners try to mask the originator of transactions. Maybe I do not see the point. How do you use money where you do not want people to know who is buying it? I am guessing this is for online gambling. Heck if I know.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andy Z, Ken_Pegasus