Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1821308 - 06/07/13 12:06 AM CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions
Chocaholic Offline
Gold Star
Northwest
We are a small bank (under $150m in assets) with not a large budget. We have just recently redesignated our assessment area and are now looking to get a map of our area and related census tracts .
Is there software I can use to map our current portfolio ( under 500 records) that would not be expensive?
Would this same software allow us to take our current portfolio dispursal and then expand our AA so it would make sense to a regulator and then print something for CRA file? Perhaps I am asking for the moon.

Return to Top
CRA
#1821314 - 06/07/13 12:43 AM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You can create maps yourself using tools like Microsoft Mappoint or Google maps or use some of the vendors who post here.

Your needs, number of maps, etc will influence the cost.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1821753 - 06/07/13 07:54 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Bump! I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I know of a number of vendors who offer software or offer to map for you but the costs aren't justified for our asset size yet.

Kaybee, can you give us some ideas on how to import a loan trial balance onto a map?

CRCM

Return to Top
#1821758 - 06/07/13 07:57 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
With products like MapPoint, all you need is your raw data in an excel file. So a separate column for street address, city, zip, etc. MapPoint is the easiest mapping software I've ever used, although we stopped using it after the 2010 Census Data came out because it didn't seem like their maps were being udpated with the new census tracts. So when we did a heat map of low/mod census tracts, we had blanks in the map with no color because those tracts didn't exist anymore.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1821765 - 06/07/13 08:05 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Nice! I won't name names but some of the vendors we have talked too are pretty pricey. I'm downloading the trial for map point now. Is there any annual update fee or anything or is it straight software?

CRCM

Return to Top
#1821783 - 06/07/13 08:19 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We bought it once and used it for a few years before the census tracts changed. If the newest version has the 2010 tracts, then you should be able to buy it once and use it until the maps change again.

ETA: It's straight software
Last edited by manimal; 06/07/13 08:19 PM. Reason: eta

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1821810 - 06/07/13 08:45 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Tennismom Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Try the the free batchgeo. http://batchgeo.com/ I have never used it for 500 records but I have use this to map out our branch locations which total more than 200.

Return to Top
#1821874 - 06/07/13 09:59 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I usually look first and ask second but can't figure out how to overlay the census tracts on this demo. Any quick pointers at 4:56 pm on a Friday? smile

CRCM

Return to Top
#1822198 - 06/11/13 04:35 AM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
You ask a question about mapping your loan distribution. Most people think of dot density maps when they speak of mapping loans. But that is not necessarily the most effective way to map your data. There are "double theme" and "single theme" maps too. Plus you should have a map that depicts the census tract income classifications since that is such an important part of CRA performance considerations. Finally, you should show your AA boundaries and branch locations. A really good map will also show major cities and highways to help add perspective (although they are not required by regulation).

Mapping is not difficult, but like most skills, if you don't use it you lose it and most bankers don't use mapping software enough to maintain their skill level. I don't know what you consider "pricey" but mapping professionals will map out your data with the greatest sophistication for around $500-$700 normally.

Return to Top
#1822630 - 06/11/13 09:34 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I see what you mean Manimal. I downloaded the trial software and tried some mapping. For the most part, it works but it also showed that I had some loans in Mongolia and Thailand. We haven't ventured into those markets yet. smile

I'm wondering if the difference in census tracts is throwing it.

Another question... When MapPoint does plot the loans, it will use one pushpin to represent all of the loans in that particular census tract. Any idea on how to get them to show up independently?

CRCM

Return to Top
#1829837 - 07/02/13 06:55 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
CityGirl Offline
New Poster
I have used MapPoint for the last 4 or 5 years. It has served our purposes well with CRA mapping. HOWEVER, MicroSoft did NOT update MapPoint with the 2010 census tracts. Therefore, the mapping that you do with MapPoint today will not conform to the correct 2010 census tracts. MapPoint has not infored us as to when it will be updated, if at all. I am looking for another mapping option as well now that the MSAs have been updated and will require new maps in January 2014. Any other suggestions for mapping options would be appreciated.

Return to Top
#1829867 - 07/02/13 07:46 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
CityGirl - We switched to Maptitude. It's more complex than MapPoint, but with the right formulas you can map your loans and the census tracts are updated for 2010 Data.

Garrett01 - Is it possible the map is plotting by census tract vs. address, so you are seeing a bunch of pushpins on top of one another, making it look like there is only one pushpin?

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1830738 - 07/08/13 02:57 AM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
You know advertising is not permitted in the threads, and you know who to call to advertise.

Please refrain in the future.
Last edited by Andy Z; 07/08/13 03:54 AM.

Return to Top
#1831718 - 07/10/13 05:04 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
I had mentioned a software program that already has been referenced in these threads and I believe has significant advantages but I cannot name it (we don't sell software). Whatever software you do consider just remember that except for the mapping software resident within commercial CRA software none of the other mapping software identify tracts by their income classification. So you will need to figure out how to import that information into your maps.

Return to Top
#1831722 - 07/10/13 05:12 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We were able to do 'heat maps' by census tract with both programs I mentioned using above. It can take some creativity to get it done, but we now have the color coding on every map we produce for the CRA Committee.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1831728 - 07/10/13 05:15 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If you create a spreadsheet of your tracts in your AA that you wish to map, you can add a column where you place a code for income class (or minority population). You then have a color palette with a color for each code (not classified, low, mod, middle, upper).

You can then create maps that are color coded by income class or minority population and superimpose loans on them if you wish.

Return to Top
#1831744 - 07/10/13 05:36 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
^^^ KB was super helpful, she really knows her stuff! smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1831752 - 07/10/13 05:46 PM Re: CRA/HMDA mapping tool- vendor suggestions Chocaholic

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Thanks! Made my day.

Return to Top