Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1782040 - 02/01/13 03:08 PM New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA
KOlson Offline
New Poster
In the new rule, we identified that the definition of HPML on Jumbo loans has permenently increased, effective 6/1/2013, from 1.5 (first liens - all encompassing) to 2.5 (non-conforming/Jumbo)

This change is not exclusive to the escrow provision, as previoulsy carved out, rather appears to be a change in the basic definition of HMPL on Jumbo loans.

Regarding HMDA (Reg C), the rate spread definition specifically states the following:

"...report the spread between the annual percentage rate (APR) and the average prime offer rate for a comparable transaction if the spread is equal to or greater than 1.5 percentage points for first-lien loans or 3.5 percentage points for subordinate-lien loans."

As the definition is not explicity tied to the HPML definition under Regulation Z, and it does not appear the CFPB has addressed the HMDA rate spread, how are other institutions planning to handle HMDA reporting after 6/1/2013?

Return to Top
Escrows on Higher-Priced Mortgages
#1782066 - 02/01/13 03:51 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
KOlson Offline
New Poster
In the 2008 Ammendments to Regulation C, I found the following language:

12 CFR Part 203, official staff interpretation:

B. Reasons for Following the RegulationZ Final Rule

As noted above, the Board’s objective in setting the rate spread reporting threshold has been to cover subprime mortgages and generally to avoid covering prime mortgages. The same purpose underlies the definition of ‘‘higher-priced mortgage loan’’ that the Board adopted under Regulation Z.

For the reasons discussed above, the Board believes the definition adopted under Regulation Z, when applied to Regulation C, will better achieve this purpose and ensure more consistent and more useful HMDA data. Moreover, using the same definition in both Regulation Z and Regulation C will reduce compliance burdens.

Last edited by ko1234; 02/01/13 03:56 PM.
Return to Top
#1782069 - 02/01/13 03:53 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
KOlson Offline
New Poster
Having said that, rate spread is defined in Regulation C based on the 2008 Regulation Z HPML definition.

Regulation C does not provide, in its definition, that the rate spread definition will always be based on Regulation Z (i.e. continually update with the rule).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Return to Top
#1782093 - 02/01/13 04:22 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
KOlson Offline
New Poster
I have also reviewed the 2013 HOEPA final rule commentary, and found another reference:

In response to commenters’ suggestions that the FFIEC rate-spread calculator be adapted for use in determining HOEPA coverage, the Bureau does not anticipate difficulties in using the calculator for this purpose. The calculator exists on the FFIEC website primarily for use in determining the “rate spread” that must be reported, if any, under HMDA and Regulation C, 12 CFR part 1003. Specifically Regulation C § 1003.4(a)(12) requires HMDA reporters to report the spread between a loan’s APR and the applicable average prime offer rate (determined identically to the determination for higher-priced mortgage loans under § 1026.35) if that spread exceeds 1.5 percentage points for a first-lien loan or 3.5 percentage points for a subordinate-lien loan.

Return to Top
#1782137 - 02/01/13 05:17 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
...determined identically to the determination for higher-priced mortgage loans under § 1026.35) if that spread exceeds 1.5 percentage points for a first-lien loan or 3.5 percentage points for a subordinate-lien loan.

The key word is "If" and goes on to specify 1.5 and 3.5. The jumbo ln threshold is only for escrows, as far as I can tell....still not finished reading all of this stuff.

Return to Top
#1782139 - 02/01/13 05:21 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
KOlson Offline
New Poster
Thank you for reviewing this, ahou. From the January 10, 2013 final rule:

PART 1026—TRUTH IN LENDING (REGULATION Z)
Subpart E—Special Rules for Certain Home Mortgage Transactions
§ 1026.35 Requirements for higher-priced mortgage loans.

a) Definitions. For purposes of this section:

1) “Higher-priced mortgage loan” means a closed-end consumer credit transaction secured by the consumer’s principal dwelling with an annual percentage rate that exceeds the average prime offer rate for a comparable transaction as of the date the interest rate is set:

(i) By 1.5 or more percentage points for loans secured by a first lien with a principal obligation at consummation that does not exceed the limit in effect as of the date the transaction’s interest rate is set for the maximum principal obligation eligible for purchase by Freddie Mac;

(ii) By 2.5 or more percentage points for loans secured by a first lien with a principal obligation at consummation that exceeds the limit in effect as of the date the transaction’s interest rate is set for the maximum principal obligation eligible for purchase by Freddie Mac; or

(iii) By 3.5 or more percentage points for loans secured by a subordinate lien.
Last edited by ko1234; 02/01/13 05:21 PM.
Return to Top
#1782171 - 02/01/13 06:11 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I agree with ko1234 off the top of my head. They moved the definition of jumbo threshold out of escrow and in to the general definition...so it does possibly present an issue, it appears.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1782194 - 02/01/13 06:34 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
BTW, it's also supported in the appraisal guidelines:

Threshold for “Jumbo” Loans
Comment 35(a)(1)-3 explains that § 1026.35(a)(1)(ii) provides a separate threshold for
determining whether a transaction is a higher-priced mortgage loan subject to § 1026.35 when
the principal balance exceeds the limit in effect as of the date the transaction’s rate is set for the
maximum principal obligation eligible for purchase by Freddie Mac (a “jumbo” loan). The
comment further explains that FHFA establishes and adjusts the maximum principal obligation
pursuant to rules under 12 U.S.C. 1454(a)(2) and other provisions of Federal law. The comment
clarifies that adjustments to the maximum principal obligation made by FHFA apply in
determining whether a mortgage loan is a “jumbo” loan to which the separate coverage threshold
in § 1026.35(a)(1)(ii) applies.

Return to Top
#1782212 - 02/01/13 07:00 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
KOlson Offline
New Poster
Thank you, RR Joker. So, from a practical standpoint, if the definition of "rate spread" under Regulation C does not change (i.e. remains at 1.5 and 3.5 without regard to conforming/non-conforming), what is the impact?

Thinking this through, our HMDA process will not change unless Regulation C is formally updated to change the definition of a rate spread in accordance with the new definition of HPML under Regulation Z.

At this time, I am unable to find any indication by the CFPB that Regulation C is in any way pending change.

What am I missing? What is the impact of having the rate spread definition differ from the HPML definition?

Return to Top
#1782250 - 02/01/13 07:42 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'm thinking, without Reg C changing, we will have to use two differnent calculation tools.

Unintended consequence of moving the jumbo reference? crazy
Last edited by RR Joker; 02/01/13 07:43 PM.

Return to Top
#1782269 - 02/01/13 08:05 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
FWIW, I have written the CFPB requesting guidance. We'll see.

Return to Top
#1782433 - 02/02/13 01:08 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I'm thinking, without Reg C changing, we will have to use two differnent calculation tools.

Why, if you have a jumbo loan and you punch it into the FFIEC website and is comes back with a spread of 2.49 or less, you know you don't have an HPML and you have the rate spread to report for HMDA?

I really don't see this as a big deal and they will probably address this when they add the other forty seven data points that the DFA is going to require to be reported under HMDA anyway. I doubt they will tweak it for this when that are facing with a total revamp of the data gathering process.

Return to Top
#1782523 - 02/04/13 03:34 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
There shouldn't be a rate spread tho...if it worked like the other spreads...IOW, if it's not HPML, it should report NA.

Just sayin.

Return to Top
#1784090 - 02/08/13 02:37 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
KPOC Offline
Gold Star
KPOC
Greater Boston Area
This is something I've been looking at too. I think a good way to think about it is that the Rate Spread column on the LAR is not there to report HPMLs. You can gather that information using the Occupancy column also, but HPMLs must be secured by a primary dwelling and Regulation C reports loans secured by any dwelling. So they are not exactly the same. I think the threshold consistency between Reg. C and Z was convenient in the past, but they aren't showing the same things. Perhaps Reg. C will be updated, but until then I wouldn't change anything.
Last edited by KPOC; 02/08/13 05:47 PM.
Return to Top
#1826560 - 06/24/13 03:32 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
Carol Hopper Offline
Carol Hopper
Central Missouri
Now I am confused... rate spreads are entered in this field only if the loan is subject to rReg Z other wise you report NA. So do we enter the number that is calculating off of 1.5% threshold for jumbos, or what it would be with the 2.5% threshold for jumbo's, since the entry itself is tied to Reg Z.

Return to Top
#1858423 - 10/04/13 01:36 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
fslic banker Offline
100 Club
A good spread but I didn't see any consensus. I have a jumbo, first lien mortgage subject to Regulation Z with a Rate Spread of 1.79%. Should I report on my LAR the 1.79% spread or as N/A as its below the 2.5% jumbo threshold and therefore not a HPML. Based on a review of Reg C only it would appear that I should show the RS on the LAR.

Return to Top
#1858629 - 10/04/13 04:16 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Until Reg. C is revised you report the rate spread based on the following regulatory requirement.

1003.4(12)(i) For originated loans subject to Regulation Z, 12 CFR part 1026, the difference between the loan's annual percentage rate (APR) and the average prime offer rate for a comparable transaction as of the date the interest rate is set, if that difference is equal to or greater than 1.5 percentage points for loans secured by a first lien on a dwelling, or equal to or greater than 3.5 percentage points for loans secured by a subordinate lien on a dwelling.

Return to Top
#2038292 - 09/14/15 03:41 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Any change on this? Looking at a jumbo loan for the first time in a long time, and our LOS is trying to populate the rate spread as NA, but the calculated spread is 1.91 (below the 2.5 jumbo threshold, but above the normal 1.5 spread for an HPML). I'm thinking the 1.91 needs to be reported...agree?

Return to Top
#2038293 - 09/14/15 03:44 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The reporting of rate spreads for HMDA and calculating HPMLs have nothing in common except they use the same formula.

Return to Top
#2038295 - 09/14/15 03:46 PM Re: New HPML Threshold on Jumbo Loans and HMDA KOlson
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Thanks Randy.

Return to Top