Click to return to BOL home page
Banker Store Read A Reg BOL Insiders Career Connect Learning Connect Bankers Information Network

January 6, 2015
Business Accounts Documentation and Procedures with Beneficial Ownership
Deborah Crawford

January 6, 2015
FFIEC Cybersecurity Initiatives and Observations from the 2014 Assessments
Susan Orr

January 15, 2015
The ABC's of IRAs - The Basic Ingredients
Patrice Konarik

January 20, 2015
B & Z Appraisal Rules - Getting Them Right
Jack Holzknecht

January 21, 2015
HMDA Soup to Nuts
David Dickinson

January 22, 2015
Navigating the Treacherous Waters of IRA Rollovers, Transfers and Beneficiary Payouts
Patrice Konarik

January 28, 2015
Mortgage Life Cycle
Part I
David Dickinson and Jerod Moyer

Topic Options
#1862494 - 10/17/13 04:53 PM Provisional Credit
havenerl Offline
New Poster

We have a customer who filed a claim back towards the end of September for a charge that she authorized but states that the product/service she received was not what they stated and ended up having to have another company help fix the issue. Provisional credit was provided but the customer still has not returned the form that was sent to her to complete for the claim. Is there any possibility of reversing the provisional credit that was given? I'm thinking not but wanted to check because I could only find reference to providing the provisional credit under the Visa rules.

Deposits and Payments
#1862514 - 10/17/13 05:32 PM Re: Provisional Credit [Re: havenerl]
BrianC Online
Power Poster

Loc: Illinois
Defective or not as described merchandise is not covered by Reg E. While you do have an obligation under VISA rules to assist the cardholder, you can require that the cardholder meet all of the conditions as set forth in the VISA rules.

An Issuer must credit its Cardholder's account for the amount in dispute, whether or not a Chargeback was initiated, if the dispute involves an Electronic Commerce Transaction and the conditions are met for any of the following Chargebacks:
Reason Code 30, "Services Not Provided or Merchandise Not Received"
Reason Code 41, "Cancelled Recurring Transaction"
Reason Code 53, "Not as Described or Defective Merchandise"
Reason Code 83, "Fraud-Card-Absent Environment"
Reason Code 85, "Credit Not Processed"

Since the cardholder failed to meet the requirement to put their claim in writing, you are not obligated to investigate or to provide them credit. Reverse the provisional credit until they provide the needed documentation for you to file a chargeback.
I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. (Phillipians 4:13)

#1862527 - 10/17/13 06:01 PM Re: Provisional Credit [Re: havenerl]
havenerl Offline
New Poster

Thank you Brian!

Moderator:  John Burnett, Ken_Pegasus