Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1862625 - 10/18/13 02:34 PM Mother guarantor of Cmml loan-
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
CmmlConstruction loan for spec home--Brwrs are husband and wife-no corporation involved. Wife has signed joint intent, so that is all good. The loan is guaranteed by the mother who is a secretary of a building company, but the building company is not a part of the loan at all. Can the mother guarantee this loan or should she have been a co-brwr? My information says:
"Reg B prohibits a lender from requiring the spouse of a brwr of the spouse of a guarantor to guarantee a loan. A lender may require the insiders or shareholders of a corporation to guarantee a loan to a corporation, but it may not also require the guarantee of the spouses of those persons (unless the spouse is also an insder or a shareholder)" How does this relate to my scenario?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1862629 - 10/18/13 02:36 PM Re: Mother guarantor of Cmml loan- Combustible
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If the mother offered to guarantee, or the bank required an additional guarantor and the mother offered, it is allowed.

The bank cannot say who they want to guarantee, but she can offer.

Her relationship to her son is deemed to be the consideration for her financial liability, what she gets out of it.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1862631 - 10/18/13 02:38 PM Re: Mother guarantor of Cmml loan- Combustible
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
If the loan needs a guarantor, you can ask for one. You can't tell the borrower who to ask, though. If the borrower's mother volunteers, that's fine. I'd get intent from her as well.

The cite you have refers to loans to a corporation. Banks can require insiders/shareholders of companies to guarantee loans when the borrower is the business. But that doesn't really apply here since your loan is to individuals, not a business.

ETA: KB beat me to it! laugh
Last edited by manimal; 10/18/13 02:39 PM.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1862633 - 10/18/13 02:38 PM Re: Mother guarantor of Cmml loan- Combustible
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Your Bank is going to make a spec construction loan to someone that needs a guarantor? Not compliance related, but I can't believe the S&S examiners are going to be very enthused about that decision.

Return to Top
#1862634 - 10/18/13 02:39 PM Re: Mother guarantor of Cmml loan- Combustible

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Also, your guarantors should actually add value to the loan.

Return to Top
#1862703 - 10/18/13 04:06 PM Re: Mother guarantor of Cmml loan- Combustible
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
Ok, that's the thought process I had also, as far as it being ok to guarantee (loan specific) for a family member. Rl, yes, I wonder about the guarantor situation too, but the tax returns of the mother show she adds a great deal of value to the loan, and it looks like she's trying to pull her son into the business.
KB, are you saying as a guarantor the difference between the mother's guarantee or a spouse's guarantee would have to do with if she is reaping the benefit of the loan as compared to just providing financial stability?

Return to Top
#1862717 - 10/18/13 04:22 PM Re: Mother guarantor of Cmml loan- Combustible

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
No. I am saying any guarantor should add financial strength, other than when bank requires all corp officers to guarantee. Otherwise it seems like bank insisted on spouse/family member regardless. Unless totally voluntary (not required) there should be financial need for guarantor.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z