Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1824936 - 06/19/13 01:52 PM HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions
Bville Offline
Diamond Poster
Bville
Out West
I need to make sure I’m understanding the distinction between HPMLs (1026.35(a)) and Higher Priced Covered Transactions (1026.43(b)(4)).

A HPML must be secured by a principal dwelling and has 3 different rate spread thresholds:
• 1.5% - first lien non-jumbo
• 2.5% - first lien jumbo
• 3.5% - subordinate lien

A Higher Priced Covered Transaction may be secured by any dwelling – principal / vacation home / second home and only has 2 rate spread thresholds:
• 1.5% - first lien loans
• 3.5% - subordinate lien loans

The distinction is important:
• for knowing when escrows and appraisals are required for HPMLs
• for knowing when there is a safe harbor vs. presumption of compliance for QMs
• for underwriting non-QM balloons. (If it is a higher priced covered transaction or the term is less than 5 years, the balloon payment must be included in the monthly payment)

What am I missing and misunderstanding?

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#1861861 - 10/16/13 04:11 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Bville
Iszy_theBug Offline
100 Club
I believe I was first confused and was relating the "Higher Priced" Presumption of Compliance to apply only to HPML loans(Primary Residence).

Now it seems to me that it is its own creature and I have to apply the rate spread test to all Consumer RE transactions secured by any dwelling.

Everyone agree?

Return to Top
#1862599 - 10/18/13 01:54 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Iszy_theBug
HallieK Offline
Gold Star
HallieK
Oklahoma
If I could pose a question: If we qualify to make loans under the (e) (5) Small Creditor Portfolio Loans, we have a 3.5% over APOR before a loan would be considered a High Priced Covered Transaction. My question is would it still be considered a HPML that we would be required to escrow for? (we are not rural or underserved)

Return to Top
#1862684 - 10/18/13 03:49 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Bville
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
You get the extra 2 points (from 1.5 for a first lien under the HPML rules in Sec. 35) to 3.5 under the small creditor QM rule......so if i'm understanding your question correctly, a loan that meets the "higher-priced" limits under the small creditor exception are naturally going to also be an HPML, so yes, if you have no escrow exemption, you'd need to escrow. To put it more succinctly: if a loan is "higher-priced" under the small creditor QM rules, it will be an HPML....conversely, an HPML under Sec. 35 may not be "higher priced" under the small creditor QM rules.

Return to Top
#1862692 - 10/18/13 03:56 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Bville
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Let's fine tune this a bit. If the Small Creditor Portfolio QM trips the APR trigger for an HPCT, it will also trip the APR trigger for an HPML, but only if it is secured by the consumer's principal dwelling. So SCPQMs that are secured by the consumer's non-principal dwelling (vacation home, for example) won't be HPMLs.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1862696 - 10/18/13 03:59 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Bville
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Good point John...i wasn't considering n.o.o. dwellings in my post.

Return to Top
#1862722 - 10/18/13 04:26 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions raitchjay
HallieK Offline
Gold Star
HallieK
Oklahoma
Thank you both so much for your help. It had just never hit me that using the higher spread would then trigger the HPML requirements. I guess I was using wishful thinking in that if it wasn't HPCT it wouldn't be a HPML. That's what I get for hopeing. Good point though about the principal dwelling. Have to remember the distinction.

Return to Top
#1862906 - 10/18/13 07:23 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Bville
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
Bville - I think you got it.

HallieK, you asked, "My question is would it still be considered a HPML that we would be required to escrow for?"

To put it more succinctly, yes if it's primary dwelling secured.

Return to Top
#1865354 - 10/28/13 12:52 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Bville
Dodge Offline
Gold Star
If a loan is a "HPML" loan but it does not exceed 3.5 to make it a "HPCT", and it's secured by the customer's primary dwelling; when underwriting the loan does the lender factor in the balloon payment in the DTI?

Return to Top
#1867594 - 11/01/13 04:38 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions John Burnett
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
Just a thought about training. These new rules seem very confusing to us, just how much more confusing are they going to be to the staff? Anyone with any suggestions on how to effectively train for these very complex new rules along with monitoring to avoid errors, violations, etc.

Return to Top
#1867652 - 11/01/13 06:07 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Dodge
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: giants06
If a loan is a "HPML" loan but it does not exceed 3.5 to make it a "HPCT", and it's secured by the customer's primary dwelling; when underwriting the loan does the lender factor in the balloon payment in the DTI?

Since you ask about the 3.5% allowance for HPCT status, I have to assume you're asking about a subordinate lien loan or a QM under one of the small creditor QM rules.

If it's a balloon loan under .43(f), it would have to have a term of at least 5 years, a regular periodic payment based on an amortization period of no more than 30 years. You would be permitted to ignore the balloon payment when determining the applicant's ability to repay and when calculating the DTI.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1869062 - 11/06/13 08:30 PM Re: HPMLs and Higher-Priced Covered Transactions Bville
Kanbanker Offline
KS
I started a new thread before I recognized you are discussing my question here.

My take is that a loan is exempt from HPML rules if the loan meets the Small Creditor QM profile.

Return to Top