For the Original poster:

Did you give them their chairs back?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#187000 - 05/06/04 09:13 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
As a former teller and a former cashier, I have to agree that the chairs should stay, although it is more justifiable to make a cashier stand because most of the time, cashiers are part-time and work shorter shifts. As far as the image goes, when a teller is exhausted from standing all day, they will not likely feel like dealing with customers, and the customers will notice. The morale issue should be addressed here. It is hard enough to stay positive for every transaction behind the teller line but when a teller is told that it looks unprofessional, it sounds like baloney. What other position in the bank requires standing all day? It's pretty common for tellers to not feel valued, don't add to the frustration when it is completely avoidable.

Return to Top
#187001 - 05/06/04 09:47 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
If its professional to stand, then all bank officers should have their chairs removed. IMO its the level of service standing or sitting thats important. If the service is good or bad I don't remember, or care, if the teller was standing or sitting. I do remember if the service was good or bad.

As a customer I would not think to highly of an employer who makes employees stand all day for no practicle reason other than a supervisor thinks it should be so. If I were in charge then I would insist that the supervisor also stand along with the people that person supervises. A true leader does not insist others do what they are not willing to do.

Return to Top
#187002 - 05/07/04 03:43 AM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
WOW - I'm just thinking about all the varicose veins that are developing on the legs of your tellers.

Grounds for a class action lawsuit? I wouldn't be surprised.

http://veins.com/before_after/ba-vv-01.jpg

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/varicose.htm
What causes varicose and spider veins?
No one knows the exact cause of spider and varicose veins, but there are several factors that cause a person to be more likely to develop them. Heredity, or being born with weak vein valves, is the greatest factor. Hormones also play a role. The hormonal changes that occur during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause, as well as taking estrogen, progesterone, and birth control pills can cause a woman to develop varicose veins or spider veins. During pregnancy, besides the increases in hormone levels, there also is a great increase in the volume of blood in the body that can cause veins to enlarge. The enlarged uterus also puts more pressure on the veins. (Within 3 months after delivery, varicose veins usually improve. However, more abnormal veins are likely to develop and remain after additional pregnancies.)

Other factors that weaken vein valves and that may cause varicose or spider veins include aging, obesity, leg injury, and prolonged standing, such as for long hours on the job. Spider veins on the cheeks or nose of a fair-skinned person may occur from sun exposure.

Return to Top
#187003 - 05/07/04 01:54 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Maybe this can settle it once and for all. I assume that before you started debating whether to disallow a pregnant woman a chair, you did some medical research on the effects of prolonged standing on pregnancies. Here is one page of many that came up on a Google search of the phrase "prolonged standing pregnancy". I am sure that your bank already has this or some other similar research because no caring workplace would think about doing this to a pregnant woman without first doing their home work:

Pregnancy

Return to Top
#187004 - 05/07/04 05:14 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

While in Europe last year, I noticed ALL cashiers were seated. The check out counters, teller windows, etc. were lowered to accommodate the personnel. I think this is a great way to treat your employees. It keeps them healthier and happier. I see no reason why tellers cannot be seated to do their jobs.

Return to Top
#187005 - 05/07/04 05:22 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Sorry that I'm jumping in late to this converstaion, but I have always had a stong feeling about this. To me it seems only a common courtesy that if your customer is standing than you should be standing, if your customer is seated than your may be seated.
I always allowed my drive tellers the use of stools as all of their customers were seated (in their cars).
I also allowed my lobby tellers to have stools, but I did ask them that they stand while they waited on their customers - maybe I'm just old-fashioned (late 30's is my old age, here) but again, I was always told that was a common courtesy.
In the instance of tellers that had medical conditions we NEVER forced them to stand while waiting on customers.

Return to Top
#187006 - 05/07/04 05:41 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
Quote:

if your customer is standing than you should be standing, if your customer is seated than your may be seated.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. How about chairs for the customers! I bet they will love the improved teller line and I want the teller to be able to sit down!!!

Return to Top
#187007 - 05/07/04 05:42 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
As one who started as a teller 32 years ago, we stood when waiting on our customers, but had stools set back away from the window if we needed to sit or relax. My manager at the time threatened to pull them out from under us if she ever saw us waiting on customers while seated (she never did, nor do I expect she ever would have - the threat was enough). I really dislike seeing tellers slouching over a counter while waiting on customers. SIT UP STRAIGHT!!! I'm old fashioned, and also feel that if the customer is standing, I should stand. (And I agree that the pregnant employee deserves to be able to sit.)

Where I work now, most of our tellers (CSRs) sit behind desks. The customer comes up to their desk and may either stand or sit - but I still feel it's respectful for the CSR to stand and shake the customer's hand in greeting. Politeness has gone the way of so many other things - in a business office we should be business-like.

However - if you were to ask about whether or not everyone in the office should wear t-shirts on "business casual Friday" -- that's another topic!!

Return to Top
#187008 - 05/07/04 06:02 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Put the chairs back ! CUT YOUR COST SOMEWERE ELSE LIKE IN THE FRONT OFFICE . CHEEP BASTARDS

Return to Top
#187009 - 05/07/04 06:14 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Anon, I am just curious, what's the front office?

Return to Top
#187010 - 05/07/04 06:32 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I would also like to know why the lovely person who HIDES behind Anonymous and likes to throw out some very nasty name calling thinks this is a cost cutting issue???? - I guess I didn't see that as the issue - Must be terrible to start off your weekend in such a foul mood - hope it gets better!

PS - as a manager, if I had a customer talk to my employee like that, I would sit them down and find out what the problem was - if they were just generally a foul person who liked to curse my employees out, I would probably close your account and ask you to verbally abuse someone else's staff. Clean up your language, please! And I'm reasonably confident a shot will come my way now - so go ahead!!!
Last edited by TexTrainer; 05/07/04 06:39 PM.

Return to Top
#187011 - 05/07/04 06:38 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been in banking for 24 years. I am the manager of a division for a $3 billion dollar bank, but I always proudly say that I began as a teller during college, progressing eventually to a branch administrator. Those were the days when the dress code mandated skirts for women along with hose and high heels. Those were also the days when no one could leave before the bank was balanced, which meant very very long days. There were 2 stools per every 8 tellers on the teller line, mainly provided for performing "back counter" responsibilities. I spent nearly 10 yrs in some sort of teller position. Zap ahead to the present day. From my days standing on the teller line in high heels, I have a permanent callous on the ball of each foot...so severe that you can drive a needle through and I won't feel it. Not the most glamourous post, but a real-life attestation that those tellers deserve - and need - chairs (and one per working teller). Forget ROA, loan loss reserve, etc....tellers have the hardest and least appreciated job in the bank. At least let them sit down.

Return to Top
#187012 - 05/07/04 07:02 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Topspin Chick Offline
New Poster
This is one of the most bizarre things I have heard of in my 25+ banking years....taking teller stools away? I was a teller the first 8 years of my banking career and did indeed "sit"! To say that being seated somehow made me less "professional" dumbfounds me. I train tellers from time to time on "professionalism" and the issue of "to sit" or "not to sit" has not and shall not be on the agenda. Incidentally, I worked as a grocery store cashier during my college years and did not "sit". It is virtually impossible to do that job seated. But back on the issue of your tellers...I think you should be a little more concerned with things like their professional dress...calling of customers by name, smiling, making eye contact and thanking for the business...which all can be accomplished seated or standing!

Return to Top
#187013 - 05/07/04 07:07 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I love these types of discussions - Abner, I would take issue that Professional Customer Service can be accomplished seated or standing - I once caught a lobby teller slumped over the counter sleeping - if she didn't have a stool that could not have happened!!!
I always found myself to be more alert standing than sitting - even when I was in the drives and when we got swamped, on those loverly Fridays and 3rd's of the month - I had to stand - otherwise I couldn't keep up with all the customers. I think the other problem we faced was the stools and the counter heights never really seemed to match up, and for me (20 yrs ago) it wasn't the easiest way to work - just as well stand up and go at it!!!
And for those who think management thinks tellers are un/under appreciated - you have worked, like me, for the wrong banks - currently I work somewhere where we highly value what our tellers do - and we show it - we have staff apprecation days, we buy lunches, we take them out to the ball game, etc - Don't ever tell me I don't appreicate my teller staff - they are my front line - they keep my customers happy and they prevent fraud - AMEN

Return to Top
#187014 - 05/07/04 07:37 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

I once caught a lobby teller slumped over the counter sleeping

LOL. This person would definitely fail my "alert" test.

Return to Top
#187015 - 05/07/04 07:40 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
And you know me - I couldn't just be nice about it, and tap her on the shoulder and say - Thank you for sleeping at Bank XXX, this is your wake-up call' - No, I had to pick up the text book she had been studying (which was another no-no) and slam it down on her counter - boy did she ever jump - I probably wouldn't do that again - she could have hurt me or herself - but at the time, as a young manager I thought it was funny.
Last edited by TexTrainer; 05/07/04 07:41 PM.
Return to Top
#187016 - 05/07/04 07:51 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

I once caught a lobby teller slumped over the counter sleeping

LOL. This person would definitely fail my "alert" test.

If you want to allow sitting but are concerned that the teller will not remain alert, use one- or two-legged stools I heard about a plant where the employees were dealing with Ether or something like that and it was very dangerous if they were over-exposed. They solved this problem with the stools. (I can't remember if the stools they used had one or two legs.) If an employee succumbed to the Ether, they would fall out of their chair. They might have a bump on the head, but they did not incur any long-lasting effects from an overexposure to whatever it was they were working with.

Return to Top
#187017 - 05/07/04 07:54 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Z, are you kidding us or what? That's sounds pretty dangerous in a teller environment.

Return to Top
#187018 - 05/07/04 08:25 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I really did see this on a television show, but I can't remember what the industry was. It was likely before the days of OSHA.

Return to Top
#187019 - 05/07/04 08:41 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been on both sides of the aisle on this. At non busy times I have said sitting is fine as long as work can continue to be completed (side jobs). I have also had tellers abuse the situation which affected everyone. My advice is discuss with the staff and outline your concerns and see how it goes. Morral can be so important!

Return to Top
#187020 - 05/07/04 09:05 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

At my bank, the tellers and the customers sit. They always comment about how nice and friendly it is to come into a place where they can sit and relax for a second, as opposed to everyone being tense from standing all day.

Return to Top
#187021 - 05/07/04 09:22 PM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having chairs at the teller stations would give them a reason to STAY at their station and therefore facilitate prompt customer service. There is nothing worse than to go to the bank and having to WAIT for a teller to come to the teller line. Which can be a while if they are sitting somewhere ELSE working on something besides their PRIMARY reponsibility of waiting on customers (even if they CAN see the teller line). Many people are in a hurry when they are running their errands, and we should never make them wait, even for what might seem to us a short time. When you're uncomfortable or stressed out because of a sore back, legs or feet, then it will naturally show in your demeanor and your customer will pick up on it. If you want good customer service, make sure your front line people are given the tools necessary to give it.....give them the chairs while reiterating your expectations about how they service the banks customers. It's all in your "delivery"!

And without a doubt, you MUST give the pregnant woman a chair if she asks. You must make fair and reasonable accommodations or your setting yourselves up for a discrimination lawsuit - or worse if she has a miscarriage because you've basically asked her to choose between her health (and that of the baby) and earning money to pay the rent, health ins. etc.

Don't be foolish and unreasonable - - - it will come back to haunt you one way or another!!!! No, I am not a teller - - I am in a position of senior management at a bank where the tellers currently don't have chairs. I don't agree with the tradition of no chairs here, either!

Return to Top
#187022 - 05/08/04 12:08 AM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm the Branch Administrator for a small community bank (4 branches)and our tellers had stools that they are allowed to sit on. I agree that the customers dont care if you are standing or sitting as long as they are waited on in a timely and friendly manner

Return to Top
#187023 - 05/08/04 12:12 AM Re: Chairs for Tellers
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
I remember at my bank (where I used to work….Not Own!) all Tellers had chairs , Kind of a “ Bar “ chair that levels up to the customer service counter and it gave tellers The bless of being able to reach their drawers , Phone , and facing the Customers at the same time .
Customers were always and still a priority, so no matter what the teller was Busy with, he is ready to serve the customer the minute he approaches his teller station. And those tellers were able to serve between 100 – 150 Customers per day (on average) for each teller.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry