Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1881074 - 12/23/13 08:10 PM rmahq.com
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
So as the IT manager one of the employe's a the bank forwarded me an Email from rmahq.com about a webcast her department signed up for. Here is a cut and paste of what they asked her to do on her PC and every PC attending the event.
• Clear your temporary internet files/cache
• Disable your pop-up blockers, spyware, or anti-virus software during the session
• Close all other programs

It is the 2nd point that caught my eye. As IT manager I have been asked to help people attend many various webinars and net meetings and not a single on of them asked the person to disable their PCs security before they click the link.

So then I called the number supplied on the Email with the registration and they said they could not help me with registration and meeting questions as only the registration dept answers those questions and they only communicate via Email. Fine so I send off the Email but while I wait for an answer I wanted to ask you all.

Have you used RMA and if so how did your bank feel about disabling basic security on the PC that attended the webinar?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1881131 - 12/23/13 10:22 PM Re: rmahq.com Wolfy
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I'm the IT Officer here at my FI, and there's no way I would allow this, and there's no reason that they should request it.

I'm not familiar with this company, but I wouldn't (and won't!) be doing any training or any business with them.

Their "advice" flies in the face of basic common sense and security procedures!

Return to Top
#1881136 - 12/23/13 10:42 PM Re: rmahq.com Wolfy
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
RMA has been around a long long time and only operates in the banking industry. It was originally known as Robert Morris Associates and a few years back changed that to Risk Management.

Anyway, they are not a fly by night organization, and many banks are members. But I have no idea why they would want those items disabled during the session!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1881473 - 12/26/13 07:14 PM Re: rmahq.com Wolfy
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
OK so they got back to me and let me know while they prefer each user attending the webinar disable the security it is not required and most of the time it still works. So I am going to not disable, and for my peoples sake I hope we are part of that "most"

They also points out it is not their request but the company they use to host the event that wants the security disabled. (that made me feel so much better about the whole thing) O_o

Return to Top
#1881566 - 12/27/13 12:31 PM Re: rmahq.com Wolfy
The Bear Offline
New Poster
The Bear
Indiana
I work in an IT department as well and when installing our remote capture program on customers computers their anti-virus has gennerally not been a problem, except for the Avaste one. I think by default it just locks down a lot more then what is typically locked down. Instead of going through and modifing the settings, its ussually just easier to disable it for our install (we obviously know our program is safe) and then re-enable it once the install is complete. I assume they have run into the same issues with their active-x controls getting blocked. Since we run into all types and versions of anti-viruses and firewalls and can not be masters of them all, thats just probably their easiest suggestion. Just my thoughts on the subject...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z