Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#188934 - 05/12/04 04:32 AM NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Borg Offline
100 Club
Borg
BOL
Well, I'm sorry, but I can't stand anymore basketball and is hockey still going? Anyway, it's definitely time to start debating and chatting about the the true American pastime, football. Now, with all the LSU, OU, USC, UGA and whatever fans out here with their heated discussions about the preseason power rankings for NCAA football, let's think about giving some attention to the NFL. Personally, my (yes I used the singular possessive) favorite season of the year. Starting with the AFC:

In the East, here is how I am boldly predicting the teams to rank:
1-New England (duh)
2-Miami
3-Buffalo
4-NY Jets
But, this division could do anything. Buffalo is explosive enough to surprise a lot of teams and Miami has simply not been consistent over the years. If my prediction is incorrect, I'd say that Miami could upset New England, but I doubt that.

AFC North
1-Cincinnati
2-Pittsburgh
3-Cleveland
4-Baltimore
Okay, so I'm not really sure about this division. Cincy is one of the most exciting teams in football right now with the offensive firepower they've acquired. If Palmer lives up to it, they will be VERY good. Good moves in the offseason to build on last year's nice season. Baltimore just doesn't seem to do it for me, although they have what it takes, as does Pitt. Cleveland is a tough one to predict. They could be very good, very bad or decent. It's going to be an exciting season for this division, to be sure.

AFC South
1-Indianapolis
2-Tennessee
3-Houston
4-Jacksonville
I just don't like the Jaguars anymore. Houston is full of potential, but not yet. Tennessee and Indy are almost interchangeable, in my opinion. Manning could have a career year with the emergence of Reggie Wayne and the continued dominance of Marvin Harrison, as long as the defense stays strong and the running game picks back up. McNair is McNair and he will find a way to get it done if Indy leaves the door open.

AFC West
1-Denver
2-Kansas City
3-Oakland
4-San Diego
Denver and KC, like Indy and Tennessee, IMO are interchangeable here. Denver's offseason could be a stroke of genius or it could really hurt. Trading away one of the best RB's in the NFL for a very good CB, IMO was a good move. They are deep at RB and always have a good running game. Their question mark lies in the passing game: Will Lelie emerge? Kansas City was phenomenal to watch last year. I saw Pitt@KC and it was simply awesome. They are an extremely exciting team with a consistent passing game and an incredible running attack and an emerging defense. They could keep it close with Denver or they could blow them away...it's difficult to say. Oakland is one of the biggest question marks in the NFL. They acquired some great free agents this offseason, but the age of the stars will show down the stretch. Jerry Porter's emergence here is key. San Diego.....Sooooo much potential but not quite yet.

The NFC East
1-Philly
2-Dallas
3-Washington
4-NY Giants
For Philly, if TO and McNabb can mesh, the NFC might find its powerhouse again. Dallas is making a comeback, thanks to Bill Parcells and could easily emerge as a top contender already this season, depending on the consistency of the offense. Washington, after making some wonderful offseason moves, including the addition of Clinton Portis to fill the gaping hole in the backfield and the re-hiring of former and once-again head coach, Joe Gibbs, has poised itself to be a very good team. The Giants are in unrest and pending the jury's decision on Eli Manning, could either be a rebuilding or a rebuilt team.

NFC North
1-Minnesota
2-Green Bay
3-Detroit
4-Chicago
Da Bears are filling in for the Bengals these days as the perennial bottom feeder. Minnesota, more specifically, Randy Moss, is going to be a force to reckon with, I believe. Brett Favre is in his twilight and will continue to play very well, but his days as MVP are most likely done, but GB could be the team to beat in the NFC Norse. Detroit is an up and coming team that has made all the right moves over the last two years to begin moving back into contention.

NFC South (Who knows?)
New Orleans
Atlanta
Carolina
Tampa Bay
If New Orleans shows up, I believe this is their division to win. If not, it is Atlanta's (Mike Vick's) division. Or, Carolina could slowly and steadily keep a grip. Tampa Bay......see Oakland.

NFC West
1-Seattle
2-St. Louis
3-Arizona
4-San Francisco
Seattle has emerged as an excellent team and should take this one. St. Louis is still St. Louis, but I just don't see them knocking off Seattle this year. Arizona has been a bottom feeder for years and will not be able to overcome the other two, but San Franciso gave their team away in the offseason in order to qualify for accpetance into the BCS. They simply don't have what it takes this season to do much of anything. Garcia, Owens, Hearst....how do you overcome that?

Very bold playoff predictions:
AFC
1-Denver
2-New England
3-Indianapolis
4-Cincy
5-Kansas City
6-Tennessee
....with NE having a legitimate chance at dominating once again. I'll stick with my prediciton, though and put Denver over NE in the final game.

NFC
1-Philadelphia
2-Seattle
3-Minnesota
4-New Orleans
5-Dallas
6-St. Louis
Philly is the class of the NFC and will beat Seattle in the final game....watch out for Dallas, though.

Super Bowl:

Philly vs. Denver will come down to whoever is healthy with Philly having a slight pre-preseason edge over the Broncos.

All in all, I'm sure I overstepped my bounds with playoff predictions, but I'm really excited to see how some of this plays out. I can't wait until the season starts. Oh, and my REAL birthday falls on a Sunday this season, so I'm making travel plans!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#188935 - 05/12/04 01:33 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Well, I like most of your thoughts, but I think you should know that your darling, Randy Moss, has a serious foot problem that is going to slow him down. It's the same foot problem that kept Wally Sczcerbiak out of the NBA for most of the season....

PS: Don't count Cincinnati out of the Superbowl this year. We have had signs from God telling us it's our time. The last time we got new uniforms, Superbowl. The last time we had a cicada swarm, Superbowl.... This year we got both again for the first time for either in AGES.

Return to Top
#188936 - 05/12/04 01:39 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I hope you're right, Borg. Yes, Philly has finally found the missing piece of their offensive puzzle, but I hope they didn't sacrifice too much on the other side of the ball in the process, especially in the secondary.

Return to Top
#188937 - 05/12/04 06:47 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

Well, I like most of your thoughts, but I think you should know that your darling, Randy Moss, has a serious foot problem that is going to slow him down. It's the same foot problem that kept Wally Sczcerbiak out of the NBA for most of the season....

PS: Don't count Cincinnati out of the Superbowl this year. We have had signs from God telling us it's our time. The last time we got new uniforms, Superbowl. The last time we had a cicada swarm, Superbowl.... This year we got both again for the first time for either in AGES.

The biggest counterfeit check we've negotiated was negotiated by a kid who is 100% sure that the check is not a fraud because it was a "sign from God". So, I wouldn't put too much faith in Cincy as a Super Bowl contender this season. Sorry. Now next year or the year after, who knows. The AFC is too good to count on any ONE team.

Return to Top
#188938 - 05/12/04 06:57 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

The biggest counterfeit check we've negotiated was negotiated by a kid who is 100% sure that the check is not a fraud because it was a "sign from God". So, I wouldn't put too much faith in Cincy as a Super Bowl contender this season. Sorry. Now next year or the year after, who knows. The AFC is too good to count on any ONE team.

Look after being in NFL Hell for the last 10 years, I gotta think big when we don't have a LOSING season. 8-8 is a huge victory

Besides, the way I look at it, we are the Carolina Panthers +1. They went from 1-15 to 7-9 to a 11-5 and a Superbowl loss over a 3 year period. We went from 2-14 to 8-8 last year. Based upon peer analysis with the Carolina Panthers we are due for a 12-6 season this year with a Superbowl victory!

PS: Yeah, I know, it's a HUGE leap of logic but it sure does feel good!

Return to Top
#188939 - 05/12/04 07:04 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
I hope they do well and I'll be watching them this season. Do they play my Broncos? I'll have to check on that.

Return to Top
#188940 - 05/12/04 07:16 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I hope they do well and I'll be watching them this season. Do they play my Broncos? I'll have to check on that.

Broncos vs. Bengals MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL here in Cincinnati on October 25th. Expect Deltha O'Neal to have a few picks since Shannahan insisted on him learning the offensive playbook last year.

It's one of the BIG games for the Bengals this year.

Return to Top
#188941 - 05/12/04 07:23 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
I wonder how I can make it to Cincy in October for that one. Hmmmmmmmm, maybe I'll just catch it on ABC.

Return to Top
#188942 - 05/12/04 09:53 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
NFC North
1-Minnesota
2-Green Bay
3-Detroit
4-Chicago
Da Bears are filling in for the Bengals these days as the perennial bottom feeder. Minnesota, more specifically, Randy Moss, is going to be a force to reckon with, I believe. Brett Favre is in his twilight and will continue to play very well, but his days as MVP are most likely done, but GB could be the team to beat in the NFC Norse. Detroit is an up and coming team that has made all the right moves over the last two years to begin moving back into contention.

With all due respect, the Bears won the division a couple of years ago. I am not saying they are going to do it again this year, but calling them the Bengals is a low blow...even from a Packer Backer!

Return to Top
#188943 - 07/31/04 07:35 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
I just noticed that at least one magazine has picked Philly over Denver in the Super Bowl (I'm typing this in my Clinton Portis jersey!). Go Broncos!!

Return to Top
#188944 - 08/01/04 01:16 AM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Philly over Denver sounds good to me!

Return to Top
#188945 - 08/01/04 06:04 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
I do question defending SuperBowl runnerups Carolina in 3rd postion in NFC-South. I think they maybe able to hold their own a little than that!

Return to Top
#188946 - 08/02/04 05:07 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
You're probably right....both N.O. and Atlanta have the talent to explode, though. Carolina is probably the favorite to win the division, IMO. I hope so, I kept Steve Smith in my dynasty FF league.

Return to Top
#188947 - 08/02/04 05:22 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Is it time for the preseason games yet? Anyone else going crazy waiting for Sunday afternoons filled with Football, Beer, and friends?

Return to Top
#188948 - 08/02/04 05:27 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
yep...........I have no other legitimate use for my surround sound!

Oh, I'm going to be in Seattle for a wedding in September and they play the Niners the following day.....I might just get to go to a game this year after all!!

Return to Top
#188949 - 08/02/04 05:34 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

yep...........I have no other legitimate use for my surround sound!

Oh, I'm going to be in Seattle for a wedding in September and they play the Niners the following day.....I might just get to go to a game this year after all!!

I have my tickets for the Cincy Bengals vs. Miami Dullfins Sunday Night home opener here in Cincinnati, as well as for the "coach of the year" game with Dallas coming to Cincinnati. I can't wait to see Parcells vs. Lewis in the ultimate coaches game.

Return to Top
#188950 - 08/03/04 11:03 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
I was really excited about Miami playing in Denver on my birthday.....I really wanted to see that game. Then Ricky retired and I just don't see Miami making it much of a game. We'll see.

Return to Top
#188951 - 08/04/04 01:50 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I was really excited about Miami playing in Denver on my birthday.....I really wanted to see that game. Then Ricky retired and I just don't see Miami making it much of a game. We'll see.

I don't think I'll mind us having the opportunity to showcase our brand new fieldturf (looks fantastic), the beautiful Paul Brown Stadium (I love that stadium), and our new winning ways, even if Miami ends up going 0-16 this season... I can stand a good game or a major trouncing on our part... Oh and how odd, my birthday is very close to the Bengals Dulfins game date so my buddies and I chose that game to celebrate it.

Return to Top
#188952 - 08/04/04 06:00 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Very nice...maybe Ricky's retirement was his birthday gift to us all! We should both have very happy birthdays (speaking football anyway).

Return to Top
#188953 - 01/03/05 04:55 AM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Remember this thread? I think one of the divisions turned out right (NFC West) and only half of the playoff teams are correct. A sign of the times in the NFL....who knows!!

I picked Philly over Denver in the preseason. Philly has a chance to make it, but Green Bay is the better team now. I honestly don't think the the NFC has a chance at winning this year's big game.

Return to Top
#188954 - 01/03/05 02:48 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Philly has a chance to make it, but Green Bay is the better team now.

Green Bay's big weakness is that they don't know how to beat Philly. In two meetings last year, the Eagles pulled off two nail biters, including the infamous '4th and 26' victory in the Divisional round of the playoffs. Earlier this season, when Green Bay and Philly met, the Packers abandoned all pretense of trying to play the game, much less win. Plus, I think Brett Favre's contract includes a 'must complete one pass to Brian Dawkins in each game against Philadelphia' clause.

That said, I predict the NFC Championship will come down to these two teams. And if it does, expect a tear-jerker of a halftime show in remembrance of the Minister of Defense.

Return to Top
#188955 - 01/03/05 03:01 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Anyone know what the status of Bubba Franks is? I was watching the game yesterday and it looked like it was pretty bad, but they had him walking around on the sidelines. Any news?

Return to Top
#188956 - 01/03/05 04:36 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bubba is fine...it's only a bruise or sprain.

Return to Top
#188957 - 01/03/05 05:18 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Oh, ok...Looked like an ACL when it happened. Doesn't matter anyways though, cause the season ended yesterday. What's this "playoffs" thing you're talking about? I checked the schedule, and the Bears don't play anymore this year...

Return to Top
#188958 - 01/03/05 08:08 PM Re: NFL pre-preseason thoughts and wanderings
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Go Steelers!!!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2