Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1890000 - 01/24/14 03:53 PM Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA
Mark Burns Offline
New Poster
I recently attended a webinar by David Dickinson on HMDA. According to Him a home improvement loan that is non-dwelling secured must also be classified by the lender as Home improvement to be HMDA reportable. Question? What are the other banks doing on this?
If a person borrows $2000 unsecured to repair his Air conditioner are other banks classifing this as home improvement and reporting? Are repairs automatically HMDA?
Like I said how are the other banks choosing to report such consumer loans?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1890004 - 01/24/14 03:58 PM Re: Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA Mark Burns
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
We don't internally classify non-dwelling secured HI loans as HI, therefore we don't report them. My advice: i'd attack this problem the opposite way from what it sounds like you're doing. First, determine internally whether or not you classify such loans as HI (in other words, if you wanted to pull a list of all your home improvement loans, through your core system, etc.....could you fairly easily do so? Or do you group or color code such paper files in a way that you could pull out the HI ones easily?) If the answer is yes, then you have to report them. If the answer is no: i definitely wouldn't go out of my way to start classifying them so that i would have to report. Hope that helps.

Return to Top
#1890011 - 01/24/14 04:11 PM Re: Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA Mark Burns
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And if you are doing it - stop. If you don't have to report them, you can't mess up the reporting.

Return to Top
#1890038 - 01/24/14 04:45 PM Re: Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA Mark Burns
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Ditto with Randy. And if you're not currently reporting home improvement loans that are not secured by a dwelling, attempting to start that unnecessary process will require re-training lenders and others, because lenders are probably NOT accustomed to gathering GMI for those types of loans. What's more, staff that DO take applications for those types of loans may not even know what GMI is or that it involves providing a disclosure to the applicant about why you're asking questions about race, ethnicity and sex.

Return to Top
#1890047 - 01/24/14 04:51 PM Re: Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA Mark Burns
Mark Burns Offline
New Poster
So far, the recomendation is for non-dwelling consumer loans are not to be classified as home improvements so dont report.

Return to Top
#1890061 - 01/24/14 05:07 PM Re: Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA Mark Burns
Mark Burns Offline
New Poster
thanks

Return to Top
#1890191 - 01/24/14 07:15 PM Re: Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA Mark Burns
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Mark Burns
So far, the recomendation is for non-dwelling consumer loans are not to be classified as home improvements so dont report.
It's totally up to management at your bank as to whether you report these loans or not. Most banks don't report for reasons stated above. I have heard, though, some bank's want the added support of those loans on the LAR for whatever reason......not really sure what that reason might be. But reporting is totally optional. Just remember, if you "classify" you MUST report. If you don't want to report, just make sure there is no way to pull a list of these from your data base or hard copy files. Pay attention to purpose codes, if you use those. If you use a code for "home improvements" then your loans are classified and you must report the loans.

Return to Top
#1891388 - 01/28/14 08:53 PM Re: Home improvement loans ,Non-dwelling secured HMDA Mark Burns
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
Mark - we will be a new reporter next year (so excited - NOT!), and I had a similar question. We have decided not to classify/report the HI loans not secured by a dwelling. See my previous post:

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1887270#Post1887270

I am already so grateful for this forum!
Last edited by 80's Lady; 01/28/14 08:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM