Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#190194 - 05/14/04 05:56 PM HELOC to purchase
Tom Fridrich Offline
100 Club
Tom Fridrich
Omaha, NE
If we use a HELOC to purchase a new home, I understand that the initial draw is not rescindable. Future draws on the LOC are rescindable. If the borrower takes a second draw from their line and then decides to rescind, do we have to cancel our intial DOT/Mortgage that we filed? Or can we keep it since it also secures the initial line of credit?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#190195 - 05/14/04 06:21 PM Re: HELOC to purchase
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We don't do many of these but when we do we will not allow a draw above the initial advance for the purchase until after the ROR expires.

If you allowed a second advance before the ROR expired and they rescind that transaction IMO it does not affect the initial advance which is secured by your mortgage/DOT. What I would probably do in this case is record an amended mortgage for the amount of the initial advance and zero out the credit limit.

Return to Top
#190196 - 05/14/04 07:00 PM Re: HELOC to purchase
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
I agree with Dan's recommendation. You must file the amended mortgage within 20 days of receipt of the rescission. After the amended mortgage has been filed, you can then ask the customer for the second advance back.

Return to Top
#190197 - 05/14/04 09:22 PM Re: HELOC to purchase
Tom Fridrich Offline
100 Club
Tom Fridrich
Omaha, NE
How do you make sure you know about the second advance before it happens (for example if the borrower has checks with the LOC)? We were thinking of giving the RofR at the time of closing the initial loan (even though it is not required), otherwise we are afraid of missing giving it on a subsequent advance.

Return to Top
#190198 - 05/14/04 09:30 PM Re: HELOC to purchase
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
We give the ROR at the original closing and we do not give/order the borrower checks until after the ROR expires.

Return to Top
#190199 - 05/17/04 05:34 PM Re: HELOC to purchase
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
We follow the same procedure. It takes 10 days for the vendor to forward checks to the borrowers, anyway.

We also have a card access option. Once again, it takes about 10 days for the plastics to be cut and mailed. We process the plastics after the rescission has expired.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z