Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1908008 - 03/24/14 05:34 PM Flood Insurance & Increased RCV
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
We have a loan on a condo that is located in a special flood hazard area. For the past three years the amount of insurance provided by the condo association has matched the RCV (listed on the policy). We just got the insurance renewal and the RCV increased roughly 8% and the insurance amount did not.

The RCV is the lesser amount we need to insure for so I am assuming we need to contact the insurance company and ask them to increase the insurance amount to that of the RCV, correct?

Also, there are four separate buildings and the policy has each building and number of units listed separately, along with the RCV and insurance amount for each. If my condo is in building #3, I am only using that building to calculate the amount of insurance needed, right (the buildings have varying # of units and $$)?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1908013 - 03/24/14 05:42 PM Re: Flood Insurance & Increased RCV Red Raiders
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Yes, look at the policy specs covering your building. Also look to see what the total number of units x $250k is. Maybe they are maxed out!

Refer to the Q&A

28. What is the amount of flood insurance coverage that a lender must require with respect to residential condominium units, including those located in multi-story condominium complexes, to comply with the mandatory purchase requirements under the Act and the Regulation?
Answer: To comply with the Regulation, the lender must ensure that the minimum amount of flood insurance covering the condominium unit is the lesser of:
• The outstanding principal balance of the loan(s); or
• The maximum amount of insurance available under the NFIP, which is the lesser of:
o The maximum limit available for the residential condominium unit; or
o The “insurable value” allocated to the residential condominium unit, which is the replacement cost value of the condominium building divided by the number of units.
Effective October 1, 2007, FEMA required agents to provide on the declaration page of the RCBAP the replacement cost value of the condominium building and the number of units. Lenders may rely on the replacement cost value and number of units on the RCBAP declaration page in determining insurable value unless they have reason to believe that such amounts clearly conflict with other available information. If there is a conflict, the lender should notify the borrower of the facts that cause the lender to believe there is a conflict. If the lender believes that the borrower is underinsured, it should require the purchase of a Dwelling Policy for supplemental coverage.
Assuming that the outstanding principal balance of the loan is greater than the maximum amount of coverage available under the NFIP, the lender must require a borrower whose loan is secured by a residential condominium unit to either:
• Ensure the condominium owners association has purchased an NFIP Residential Condominium Building Association Policy (RCBAP) covering either 100 percent of the insurable value (replacement cost) of the building, including amounts to repair or replace the foundation and its supporting structures, or the total number of units in the condominium building times $250,000, whichever is less; or
• Obtain a dwelling policy if there is no RCBAP, as explained in question and answer 29, or if the RCBAP coverage is less than 100 percent of the replacement cost value of the building or the total number of units in the condominium building times $250,000, whichever is less, as explained in question and answer 30.
Example: Lender makes a loan in the principal

http://www.bankersonline.com/tools/flood_faq_2011_10_17.pdf

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1908070 - 03/24/14 06:50 PM Re: Flood Insurance & Increased RCV Red Raiders
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
They were insured at $125,000 per unit (also previous RCV) and are now still insured at $125,000 per unit (with RCV of $133,000). Our loan amount is $134,000.

Return to Top
#1908078 - 03/24/14 07:04 PM Re: Flood Insurance & Increased RCV Red Raiders
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Then if the COA won't raise the insurance, you will need a private dwelling policy for the difference ($8000).

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top