Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1914689 - 04/15/14 07:13 PM Non Assignable Provision in Trust Document
Compliance Audit Offline
100 Club
We have a trustee that would like to add a signer to a trust deposit account. I cannot find a specific authorization to assign authority in the document but would this qualify:

(1) A trustee, without authorization by the court, may exercise:
i) all powers over the trust property that an unmarried competent owner has over individually owned property; any other powers appropriate to achieve the proper investment, management, and distribution of the trust property;

The document also has a Non-Assignability Provision that says no beneficial interest of the trust whether income or principal shall be subject to assignment, attachment, pledge, claims of creditors etc.

Thanks for you input!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1914715 - 04/15/14 07:55 PM Re: Non Assignable Provision in Trust Document Compliance Audit
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The person most qualified to answer this question is your bank's attorney. Don't try to be a legal expert and potentially put the institution at risk, and don't take your customer's attorney's word for what the trust does or does not say, either.

Return to Top
#1914800 - 04/16/14 10:19 AM Re: Non Assignable Provision in Trust Document Compliance Audit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Start with "No, the trust does not provide for an authorized signer." (The language on assignability has to do with pledging future distributions as collateral for a loan.) If legal advice is necessary, let the trustee get it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett