Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1915555 - 04/17/14 10:01 PM Franchise DBA?
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We have a company that owns a Shell Gas Station-I would guess it is a franchise of some type. They've brought us in all the paperwork for the corporation and it all looks good. Then the station manager who will be allowed only to make deposits indicates that sometimes people make checks out to Shell-which of course is not the name of the account or of the company. The owner indicates Shell Oil Company would never allow them a DBA using their name. So my question to you . . . there must be hundreds or thousands of you that have service stations as customers, who have franchises from all kinds of gas/oil companies. And they must get checks daily made out to Shell or Exxon or Standard or whatever is out there and it would not be the name of the local station-owner.

How do you handle these. A quick answer would be appreciated as we have a corporation waiting to hear if we can help them or not. Thanks

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1915563 - 04/17/14 10:14 PM Re: Franchise DBA? biz
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The owner indicates Shell Oil Company would never allow them a DBA using their name.

Well, that is interesting because I see it done all the time "Shell Food Mart", "Shell Gas and Lube Service", "Shell on HWY 302". Now if they were trying to register "Shell Oil Company" I could see that they might have a problem with that.

Plus, their cashier's are the ones that accept the checks - have them refuse the checks if they are not made out the way the customer is instructed.

Return to Top
#1915617 - 04/18/14 12:41 PM Re: Franchise DBA? biz
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
So then rl would you then accept a check made out only to Shell?

Return to Top
#1915668 - 04/18/14 02:05 PM Re: Franchise DBA? biz
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I may or may not depending on the frequency, but I would definitely instruct the accountholder to get their customers to make out properly payable checks. This is not a bank issue - it is the customer's. Just because their cashier accepts a check doesn't mean the bank has too. The cashier is the only one in a position to hand the check back to their customer and say - make it payable to XYZ, Inc. This company is trying to put this burden on the bank. I have found that when new customers that bring up such stupid stuff, they are going to be a pain in the you know what for the life of the account. There is probably a reason why they are at the doorsteps of your bank. The other bank is tired of them.

Return to Top
#1915681 - 04/18/14 02:25 PM Re: Franchise DBA? rlcarey
A_G Offline
10K Club
Do people still pay for gas using checks anyways? laugh wink

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett