Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1914393 - 04/14/14 08:58 PM Evicting a Servicemember
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I want to be sure I am understanding this correctly. Generally, if the servicemember is within in his period of military of service and the rent is below the applicable threshhold, you cannot evict.

However, you can evict if:
- the period of military service is over;
- the rent exceeds the threshhold;
- the servicemember is not paying or breaches the lease (only with court order);
- the lease, as originally written, expires;or
- the servicemember waives this rights under the SCRA.

Does that sound right? I know we need to consider reputational risk, but from a legally we can do it (not that we will do it) standpoint, do I have this right?
Last edited by Tesla; 04/14/14 09:00 PM.

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#1914397 - 04/14/14 09:01 PM Re: Evicting a Servicemember Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Sorry - I forgot to click to add to watched topics.

Return to Top
#1914433 - 04/15/14 10:13 AM Re: Evicting a Servicemember Tesla
Mary Beth Guard Offline
Platinum Poster
Mary Beth Guard
Oklahoma City, OK
Originally Posted By: Tesla
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I want to be sure I am understanding this correctly. Generally, if the servicemember is within in his period of military of service and the rent is below the applicable threshhold, you cannot evict.

However, you can evict if:
- the period of military service is over;
- the rent exceeds the threshhold;
- the servicemember is not paying or breaches the lease (only with court order);
- the lease, as originally written, expires;or
- the servicemember waives this rights under the SCRA.

Does that sound right? I know we need to consider reputational risk, but from a legally we can do it (not that we will do it) standpoint, do I have this right?

If you are talking about leases for premises and the eviction part of the SCRA found in Section 531, you are basically correct in your analysis. I'd add a couple of things:

-- this part of the law only applies to circumstances where the servicemember or dependents of a servicemen are occupying the rental property primarily as a residence, or intend to occupy it primarily as a residence.

-- make sure you are looking at the most current rent amount;

-- in connection with the eviction, utilize an affidavit of lack of knowledge of military service that asserts the lessee is not a servicemember. Utilize the military database to make sure that is correct.

Return to Top
#1914442 - 04/15/14 01:13 PM Re: Evicting a Servicemember Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Yes, I was referring to a lease for premises used as a residence. Sorry for not being clearer. smile

Thank you for your help! I will definitely make your additional bullets part of the list.

For anyone reading, we were hammered on this area in a recent exam. Be sure you have strong policies and procedures around this and don't use the OCC Exam procedures to prepare. Use the CFPB - even if they are not your regulator. That's what the OCC used. frown

Return to Top
#1915576 - 04/17/14 11:46 PM Re: Evicting a Servicemember Tesla
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
When is the current amount (annual adjusted) published in the Federal Register? Specifically, I am looking for the 2014 amount.

Return to Top
#1915650 - 04/18/14 01:43 PM Re: Evicting a Servicemember Tesla
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The CPI-adjusted maximum rental rate for 2014 is $3,217.81.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1915796 - 04/18/14 04:27 PM Re: Evicting a Servicemember Tesla
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
Thank You Andy

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z