Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1915798 - 04/18/14 04:33 PM SAR?
Naise Offline
We had an ID theft event during which one unidentified suspect made several calls into our call center requesting information on two unrelated line of credit loans. The caller had a great deal of information on the accountholders and, in several instances, was able to get balance information and a check copy.

There were no attempted transactions; the interactions were all tests to see how far the caller could go in getting information. The lack of transactions makes me think that there are no grounds for a SAR. However, my predecessors here have filed on cases such as this by using the HEQ balance as the amount involved. This was considered to be the amount involved due to the potential loss; in this case, the total would be over $25,000 if we used the balances as the amount.

What, in your opinion, is attempted as it pertains to the filing requirements?

Thanks for your time.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1915846 - 04/18/14 05:52 PM Re: SAR? Naise
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Originally Posted By: FinCEN SAR e-filing guide
Violations aggregating $25,000 or more regardless of a potential suspect.
Whenever the
bank detects any known or suspected Federal criminal violation, or pattern of criminal
violations, committed or attempted against the bank or involving a transaction or
transactions conducted through the bank and involving or aggregating $25,000 or more
in funds or other assets, where the bank believes that it was either an actual or potential
victim of a criminal violation, or series of criminal violations, or that the bank was used
to facilitate a criminal transaction, even though there is no substantial basis for
identifying a possible suspect or group of suspects.

My understanding is that the trigger is based on a transaction or attempted transaction. You say no transaction was attempted, they only sought information. I don't know that I would file on this. I would however have the account flagged for ID theft activity, and use the experience as a training for the employees that "fell" for it!

Obviously, if they attempted to advance the amount available and it in aggregate exceeded $25,000, then I would definitely file.

Return to Top
#1915948 - 04/18/14 07:27 PM Re: SAR? Naise
Naise Offline
Thanks, Matt. I was leaning this way as well as I do agree that there should be an actual transaction, rejected or accepted, in order to file. I was also worried that filing might set a precedent – at what point then would we not consider the amount involved potential? This then could have been applied to cases of debit card fraud (e.g. one $104 fraudulent transaction on a DD with a $50,000 balance could become grounds for a SAR if we were to file on potential loss) or any number of hypothetical scenarios.

Return to Top
#1916024 - 04/18/14 09:24 PM Re: SAR? Naise
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Agreed, I think it's over-pursuing the details of the situation that are relevant. It's not quite comparable to saying that they also could have applied for a $1,000,000 loan, so you're going to SAR and include that in the amount involved. Just slightly exaggerated to illustrate a point though smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z