Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#192764 - 05/21/04 03:40 PM expedited recredit provision
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it is the bank's policy not to send physical substitute checks with the statements...Can you think of a circumstance that would trigger the expedited recredit provision???? Thanks.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#192765 - 05/21/04 03:50 PM Re: expedited recredit provision
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
If the customer will get a substitute check back even on a case-by-case basis, such as a returned check, recredit rights may apply.

Return to Top
#192766 - 05/24/04 08:02 PM Re: expedited recredit provision
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a consumer that does not receive their checks back with their statements requests a copy of a check, and the item was originally presented as a substitute check, and we give the consumer a copy of the substitue check, does that mean we have provided them an actual substitue check, or is it considered an image or copy.

If it is only considered an image or copy, the epedited recredit claim process will not be take effect correct?

Return to Top
#192767 - 05/24/04 08:47 PM Re: expedited recredit provision
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A photocopy of a substitute check is not a "substitute check" as defined in the statute and regulation. The customer's receipt of the photocopy does not trigger the consumer protection provisions; e.g. the potential for expedited recrediting.

Return to Top
#192768 - 05/25/04 12:37 PM Re: expedited recredit provision
Bill Saffici Offline
100 Club
Bill Saffici
Philadelphia
Just to add to Ken's comment, I have been asked if a request for copy must now be fulfilled with a substitue check. The answer is no, continue providing "copies" in whatever manner as today, i.e., microfilm copy, image copy. I do not believe there should be much, if any, need to provide a substitue check in response to a request for a copy.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett