Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1944352 - 07/22/14 09:04 PM Hiding Funds in Preparation for Nursing Home
MHuff Offline
100 Club
MHuff
LA
An elderly customer has been withdrawing cash from time to time, followed by a visit to her safe deposit box. She recently told a teller that she is taking money out of her account so the government would not get it when she goes into the nursing home, and then said that she was placing the money into her box. Opinions on whether this is SAR-reportable for hiding or secreting funds?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1944357 - 07/22/14 09:08 PM Re: Hiding Funds in Preparation for Nursing Home MHuff
Tater Offline
Platinum Poster
Missouri
If it passes the thresholds, it's fraud. I've seen a couple of cases where it was prosecuted.

Loan Review, HMDA, ALLL

Opinions are my own and do not reflect any others

Return to Top
#1944360 - 07/22/14 09:11 PM Re: Hiding Funds in Preparation for Nursing Home MHuff
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
As a former BSA Officer I had a manager who told me once the fraud was not committed until the signed Medicaid paperwork was submitted with the required information on withdrawals during the lookback period omitted. That being said, since she told you her purpose was fraudulent, I would probably file if it met threshold.

Return to Top
#1944364 - 07/22/14 09:14 PM Re: Hiding Funds in Preparation for Nursing Home MHuff
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
That is definitely considered a red flag. I do not know how much cash she is taking out, but if you know she is keeping the withdrawals under the reporting requirements, that is structuring and requires a SAR. She has also made a statement as to what she is doing with the funds which if you decide to do a SAR should include her explanation.

Return to Top
#1944382 - 07/22/14 10:18 PM Re: Hiding Funds in Preparation for Nursing Home MHuff
MHuff Offline
100 Club
MHuff
LA
Thanks for the input!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z